Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Military equipment is great for bugging out and general load bearing use but Nutnfancy does tell us that Miltype clothing is bad to wear as you want to "blend in". What do we think on this? Would you forfeit your possible total loadout to blend in with others or take the risk of sticking out like a sore thumb but carrying more stuff?

P.S. I also know that you don't really have to blend in when you are bugging out to the wilderness but you could come across a FEMA checkpoint or other defence NGO (or even hostile folk).

·
Keeper of Noodles
260 Posts
I have a lot of military surplus items, but one thing I try to do is pick older camo and gear. They're still in good shape, but they're obviously not current issue (here at least). Helps a little, in my opinion. I choose military gear (pack, clothing, assorted other gear) more for how long it will last as opposed to load bearing, but it serves double duty. And if I do want to hide, not such a problem. If i don't want to hide, I have enough civvy stuff that I could strap on to my pack, etc (i think) to "dumb it down" and blend in with the joe shmoe's out there too.
my point being, i'd rather have the military stuff simply for it's toughness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally, I like low key gear. My BOB is a hiking pack from REI and my EDC bag is a messenger bag from American Eagle. If I were bugging out I would rather not gather attention. If you look like a commando, then your probably armed and well prepared, which makes you look like the perfect target for someone who did not have your foresight. My AE messenger bag can easily be set up to function as a magazine/FAK bag while still looking like civilian gear.

·
Keeper of Noodles
260 Posts
Personally, I like low key gear. My BOB is a hiking pack from REI and my EDC bag is a messenger bag from American Eagle. If I were bugging out I would rather not gather attention. If you look like a commando, then your probably armed and well prepared, which makes you look like the perfect target for someone who did not have your foresight. My AE messenger bag can easily be set up to function as a magazine/FAK bag while still looking like civilian gear.
ah, yes, but if you ARE well armed then problem solved! lol

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Military BDU's are rugged, no doubt. But if you want cammo for YOUR environment, check out what your local hunters wear. Likely it's Realtree. The military makes camo for "likely or current" environments. Also if in a suburban/rural environment, wearing a "bubba uniform" aka realtree hunting clothing ain't so much of a flag. Personally I like khaki cargo pants and long sleeve t-shirts as base layer. I dont see a problem with any color pack, especially since everyone in the world has a black one.

Again, mil-spec is rugged as hell, but not the most comfortable. Serious hikers can and do spend more on better stuff.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
make a ghillie suit nothing blends better than a well made one wear civies till your out of populated areas and then chang to cammo

Reactions: tgoodman44

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I understand the concept, and I don't disagree with it in principle,however, I'm not that concerned about it. In the first place there are enough civies wearing camo / MilSpec clothing that it no longer is too unusual. I'm probably not going to wear BDU's when SHTF simply because I don't walk around in them nor will I dive into a phone booth and change into them. Oh, that's right, we don't have phone booths any more,well, anyway. My GHB is a medium ALICE pack,so what? If you start strapping on belts of linked M60 blank cartridges , a HUGE bowie knife with an OD sweatband, doing your best imitation of an Apocalypse Now extra, then yeah, you'll get looks. But if you are in the immediate aftermath of some catastrophe, everyone will be freaking out, they won't have time to notice you. I think it's a whole lotta nothing to worry about. I agree with Chick Norris, she has a great point. As for coming upon a FEMA checkpoint,or any checkpoint for that matter, why not go around it...as in WAY around it,even miles around it, even if it adds a day to your travels. I'm not going to make contact with any "checkpoint", LEO, or anyone else that could impede my egress. TP

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
get a cammo backpack cover that way if you have those things strapped to the outside then they cant see it

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You need to get and use what you feel comfortable wearing -- whatever you use if the SHHTF than you need to have what you are comfortable with

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Post shtf who cares if you're noticed? If it's a truly shtf scenario the police will be home tending to their own families as will most of the military leaving the sheeple to see you and your camo. I wear and carry what I want, not everything is surplus but alot of it is for the reason already given. I think WAY too thought is put into trying to hide in plain site, it's called common sense for a reason and most don't have it. Everyone will be a threat post whatever camo or not...

·
Registered
253 Posts
In a really bad SHTF situation, I doubt wearing/using military gear is gonna be an negative. First, people will pay attention to you unless your wearing rags, barefoot, & carrying a plastic bag with a couple of FEMA water bottles in it. If you have anything "nice", people will notice it and most likely, someone will try and take it from you. LE/Military will notice if you have weapons of any kind. At checkpoints they will search bags and people looking for them. So thinking that because your wearing your blue North Face jacket and some Dockers is gonna let you slip by unnoticed is kinda foolish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How about having a FEMA jacket and cap to throw on? Camo doesn't always have to be green. I also think that the average person can size up a threat. If you look or carry yourself like someone who can handle himself, most people will leave you alone.

Once groups, mobs, etc. start acting together all bets are off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How about hiding in plain sight !? If you look like you belong in the group you may be passed by .Wear current camo ,dress like the officials, but keep your distance ,act like you are searching for a place to go relieve yourself.

·
Stand Firm.Buy Safecastle
259 Posts
I go with military...If your walking and have a pack of anykind in an area with riots and chaos your a target.

If there is marshal law and you come to a checkpoint---military BOB or a Hobo Jim looking BOB, your getting checked.

Buy what you want, because in a city exit or urban exit with riots anything you have will get the attention of the thirsty and hungry mob.

·
are we there yet??
246 Posts
For some reason I don't think my BDU's are going to stand out near as much as the Black Rifles we carry. I like military gear. Its heavy but is durable and cost effective.

In the effect that I am seen, which I shouldn't be, pretend you are every day joe. Do I attack the small group in full camo, heavily armed to the teeth that stick out like a sore thumb with my 9mm, or should check out the idiots busy looting the local Stop & Rob?

Just a thought.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I have to disagree with wearing a FEMA hat and jacket. This would most definitely elicit at least one of two responses from all the sheeple, possibly both responses. Either they would ALL fall in behind you like you were their saving shepherd **OR** they would attack you for not having any goodies to hand out to them:D: TP

1 - 20 of 65 Posts