Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're sick - PLEASE STAY HOME. I work in a small office around 20 peeps.

-4 out today with the flu.
-1 out today with strep (coming back tomorrow).
-1 IN OFFICE with pink eye and the flu.

One above is out of whack!!! I just started in mid-December so it's not like I have any sick days built up yet and most can work from home if they're able to.:mad:

/rant

·
Registered
885 Posts
I lucked out the other day because of the flu. Well sort of lucked out. I called to get a haircut two weeks in advance of when I would be pressed to have my hair cut. I'd be pretty shaggy by then. I live in a tourist area and with winter the crowds come and it takes time to make appointments. I called at the right time as a slot had just opened up due to a customer canceling due to developing the flu and was told to come on in.

·
Indefatigable
20,096 Posts
Just a reminder - Food service and most minimum wage positions do NOT have any sick time OR insurance. They go to work sick and serve the public because they have to.

Reactions: STEEPOE

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,910 Posts
Unfortunately I ride paratransit.

One third of it is "AR" clients - slow individuals going to/from adult day care. Their group home is going to force them to go to the workshop sick because they don't want to pay someone to stay home and care for them.

One third of it is dialysis patients. They have to go no matter how sick they are, or they will die.

The last third are people like my husband going to/from work and errands. We all ride together in very close quarters.

Then you have a fleet of contract drivers paid by the day with NO sick time. I have seen them working with chills and fever so bad they were sweating and shaking, then handling the wheelchair and handing it over to me.

It is going to be a cluster**** when anything hits that system.

Reactions: STEEPOE

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I can't help but observe germ transfer situations not that I'm a germaphobe, I'm just observant. I see problems with IV connections, scissor contamination, Dr. Sid on CSI NY putting his magnetic reading glasses off/on with autopsy gloves on, the kid in the deli talking on his cell with his food prep gloves on, people blowing their nose then shaking hands or counting change, the doc shaking my hand then using his stethoscope or computer. I could go on and on but it would just get boring.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Years ago at work they cut our sick days from 10 per year to 5. Otherwise you had to use vacation days and many only got 2 weeks at the time.

One guy in my group... has his appendix out on Sunday, is back at work on Tuesday with staples in his gut. People came in with the flu, hacking colds, you name it. Of course it spread like wild fire. Now I'm exempt and get unlimited sick time, everyone else is back to 10 days a year.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ha you guys saved me from starting a new thread.

The flue is rampant at our work and I found out from the office that 25% of our office and shop employees are MIA.
I'm guessing 35/40 of our workforce is out.

The flue is highly contagious and there are too many that soldier on and infect others.
Wear a mask and cough into your elbow ....I get scolded on this at home a lot.

Wife came home Wednesday evening and saw me slumped asleep in my computer chair which is right next to the bed. I had intentions of going to bed just didn't make it.

Checked for an elevated temp 101f and gave me a couple of tylenal.
Morning came and I was 105.8 f by two different gages.

Wife went into full nurse mode (and she though she was retired) Cold compresses to the arm pits and forehead over time got me down to 101f
A call to my specialty doc's office and the nurse wanted to talk to me also to get some over the phone assessment .
If your not able to get to the car safely then call an ambulance.

She called ER so they had a heads up on my ongoing issues and called back and said there waiting for you and you'll get fast tracked theres no waiting. You will see nurse A***

Flue type A and the start of pneumonia. (Had the flue shot and the PA said you'd be a lot sicker if you didn't have the shot).
The PA smiled and remembered a conversation we had back in Oct when I last saw him.
Gave me his hours for the next 4 days he was there and said to ask for him if i needed to come back.
After some liquid drugs Doc said your off work until your free of temp for 24hrs..may be 5 days. Now I get more pills to wash down but 3 days later I'm feeling somewhat better.

I found out my coworker was sick the same time as me and violently ill , I was wondering why he didn't answer my texts for a couple of days.

Nurse said this is one of the worst years of the flue and a lot of kids have it.
Said she didn't know why all the hype of the corona virus as the flue kills more people .

Saw a patient being raced down the hallways with a nurse straddling him giving CPR.
Hollering to everyone in the hall to get out of the way. Heard later he coded twice.
Boy those ER people earn there pay.

Asked the wife is the flue mostly a northern thing with the cold temps.
She laughed and showed me this link from the CDC.
Holy smokes were not safe hardly anywhere.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you're sick - PLEASE STAY HOME. I work in a small office around 20 peeps.

-4 out today with the flu.
-1 out today with strep (coming back tomorrow).
-1 IN OFFICE with pink eye and the flu.

One above is out of whack!!! I just started in mid-December so it's not like I have any sick days built up yet and most can work from home if they're able to.:mad:

/rant

The supervisor or manager needs to step in.

I had pink eye once; the doctor said it was contagious, gave me a prescription for eye drops, and told me that I couldn't go back to work for a couple of days. On top of pink eye, that person is also exposing everyone there to the flu. Extremely rude and inconsiderate of others.

Someone coming into work with a fever, stomach virus or something else such as pink eye never impressed me, because I didn't want them to cause me to lose additional employees to sick time. Besides, someone in the aforementioned person's condition isn't going to be very productive or accurate anyway; therefore, it isn't really a loss sending them home.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,910 Posts
They always tell people who had the shot, and get the flu "It would have been worse". But that is one for another thread other than me saying I don't believe it ONE BIT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts