Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people pant their potatoes whole, while others cut their potatoes into sections.

When I buy my seed potatoes, I look for eh smallest potatoes in the bin. Say no larger than my fist. Then I cut the potatoes in half and let them dry before planting.

Sometimes the store does not have a bunch of small seed potatoes so I have to buy larger ones. The big ones are cut into severeal pieces depending on how the eyes are arranged.

Anyone care to share their tips for cutting potatoes?

Some people dip the cuttings in lyme or fireplace ash while they dry.

·
prepared for life & death
2,467 Posts
I cut mine into as many pieces as I can with an eye or 2 in each one. Then I put them on newspaper, cardboard or a paper bag and let them "dry" for 3 to 5 days. Just planted all mine this weekend.

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read preferably one eye, never more than two. I tried that last year and had amazing taters. -17 yesterday here, I'm gonna wait awhile yet!
Sometimes eyes are growing right next to each other, like in the video I posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My parents taught me to leave two eyes on each piece and plenty of thickness. Never just a thin piece of skin. We plant the same day or some times a few days later; never seen any difference.
Growing up, we used a horse and "one horse single plow" to make the furrow. After the taters were laid in the furrow, we would run the plow beside the row and "plow" the dirt back over the taters.
You really do need a well trained horse for this. Somehow, my garden tractor is just not the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts