Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reload. Plain and simple. It's something I've wanted to do for awhile, but never get around to starting up. I plan to focus on 9mm and .45 ACP for starters. I currently shoot around 200 rds of each a week. It would be more if I could afford it. Everytime I search online for info I just get overwelmed with all the tools and gizmos. Basically what I want to know is what bare essentials I need to get started and if it is really worth the investment for this volume of shooting. Would be nice to find a quality kit pre-assembled instead of buying 15 seperate tools. Also, were the best place is to purchase these items. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would suggest www.midwayusa.com for all of your supplies or search for a local reloading store, i started out with lee stuff and never had a problem what you will need though is
a press single stage will do till you get the hang of it, powder hopper or whatever they're called, scale for weight measurements (in grains), obviously some dies (RCBS and dont look back) hand primer or the tool to do it on the press, calipers for checking Case length and cartridge length, i use a chamfer and deburing tool to take the military crimp out of the primer pocket, you will also need a case trimmer either hand held or one that set on the bench, also get a reloading book with the recipes in it, i would strongly suggest getting a tumbler, i think case prep is one of the most important parts in reloading but thats just my opinion, i start with about 5 rounds per test loads and see what the firearm likes i also record all of the recipes i use so i know which ones to use in the future.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Not to be disrespectful to anyone's opinion (believe me, everyone who reloads has plenty of opinions), but I prefer RCBS for most pistol and rifle calibers and some revolver calibers are better using Lee.

Also, in my firearms I've never used a case trimmer for pistol rounds (9MM, .45, etc.) and never had a problems like some people talk about. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on most of my ammo which usually eliminates the need to trim, and I have loaded for 5 different pistol calibers for 20+ years. It's possible that case trimming will be required for pistol competition but IMO and usage, a handgun is not something used for detailed accuracy where you have to shoot a hair off a fly at distance. Not worth the trouble unless you're a perfectionist.

Rifles may be a different story if the brass has seen repeated reloading.

YMMV, and you should check everything out for yourself. You may have different preferences later than when you start, and then YOU can give them to others too.:D:

·
As amarican as a 1911
64 Posts
I started with a RCBS single stage and loaded 9mm, 45acp, 45/70, 44mag and 38spl with that for about a year. Watch cabelas they sometimes have the startup kit on sale with free shipping.

I still use the RCBS for my 45/70 but got a Dillon 550b last year for all other calibers from www.brianenos.com he puts some good kits together and also has some great no BS advice.

For powder and primers check out www.powdervalley.com they are out of Kansas and have some great prices only shipping with hazmat fees can get pretty high. Living in Oklahoma I just make a run to gene sears in elreno ok a couple times a year. Not sure if he has a website tho.

For cast bullets I use www.missouribullet.com also www.rimrockbullets.com
I know there are other suppliers but these are the ones I've used and always had a good experince with.

·
Always Loaded
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a great starter kit that has everything you need except the dies. Not the fastest setup, but once you get it set up it should crank out 200 reloads in about the time it takes you to shoot them.

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_rcbs_rock_chucker_supreme_master_reloading_kit_p01.php
This is perfect. Almost exactly what I was looking for. I plan to look around locally to see if I can beat the prices online. Only place I know of now would be Gander Mt and I'm sure thier stuff is way overpriced. Will check anyway. Were do you guys buy primers? I noticed my wal-mart carries them and they usually have the best prices on ammo. Don't kow if it's the same for primers. They also have reloading kits, but they looked sub-quality and pricey.

·
Banned
3,085 Posts
Dillon 550B, you can get it with everything you need, package deal. Comes with one caliber of your choice, add the other.

I started with that setup over 20 years ago, not one problem and you will crank out some ammo.

Others mentioned are great too from what I hear.

I know Dillon backs up their stuff, will replace a broken part ASAP, won't leave you hangin. At least check Dillon before you buy.

·
At Sugent
1,139 Posts
Considering the volume of ammo you want to shoot, reloading is a must, for several reasons.
Obviously, cost is a big factor, but you also gain the ability to make custom ammo. For instance, I shoot lots of .45, and reloading allows me to craft lower velocity 200gSWC that are easier on the shooter and the gun, than factory ammo.
Fortunately for you, straight wall pistol ammo is easy to reload, and because of that, it is a good fit with a progressive press.
I started with a basic RCBS reloader special, then added the piggyback to make it progressive. I have used only RCBS presses and dies for 30 years now, (same ones) and I swear by them.
That said, I believe one brand is about as good as another.
You need:
A press (preferably progressive)
A reloading scale
Powder dispenser
Some sort of re-primer if you aren't going with progressive
Dies
Tumbler(recommended)
Kinetic bullet puller(required:))
Micrometer
Correct powder
Correct primers
Reloading manual(for correct procedures and loads, recommend at least two)
That must be all you need to reload, because it's all I have.
It's also nice to have some boxes to put your new bullets into.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
if you are mainly doing handgun reloads you will want a progressive press, as doing 100+ rounds with a single stage takes a long time...

I think the best bargain out there is the Hornady Lock N Load progressive, great press for the money...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
if you are mainly doing handgun reloads you will want a progressive press, as doing 100+ rounds with a single stage takes a long time...

I think the best bargain out there is the Hornady Lock N Load progressive, great press for the money...
I disagree. I preferred the simple single stage and enjoyed my time on the bench. Done in stages a couple of hundred rounds does not take that much time. But sometimes I admit people get stuck on what they know.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^^^ I used to feel that way too when I first started reloading, then when I could crank out 100 rounds in 30' instead of 3 hours i sort of changed my mind! nothing like relaxing with reloading, and i like to do that with the single stage on rifle rounds where I might only need 100 per year... but when i need 1000+ handgun rounds or more then progressive makes life better for me :)

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I often reload ammo while I am at work since its the night shift and something nextr to nothing is happening. Here is what I use...

Lee Breech Lock hand press
Lee Improved Powder Dippers
Set of Lee Dies
RCBS Hand Priming Tool
Loading Blocks (home made from wood)
Calipers
Go/No Go gauge

Just add Tumbled Cases, Powder, Primers and Bullets and your good to go. It really can be done that simple. Yes its a bit slow, but having a good routine can speed things up considerably. Yes it takes a little more elbow grease than a bench mounted single or progressive press but those cost a heck of a lot more and dont have the advantage of being all that portable either.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
been reloading for 3 decades now.
Just get you a good book, read it, re-read it. Make sure you understand what it is saying.
Get you some good equipment,(lots on Ebay), take your time and have fun but be careful
Biggest mistake is over charging or using the wrong powder for the purpose intended.
Seconded biggest mistake is having any type of distraction in the shop while you are reloading.
ALL the post above me have excellant tips and advice so enjoy and hope this little post helps some also

·
Premium Member
13,341 Posts
been reloading for 3 decades now.
Just get you a good book, read it, re-read it. Make sure you understand what it is saying.
Get you some good equipment,(lots on Ebay), take your time and have fun but be careful
Biggest mistake is over charging or using the wrong powder for the purpose intended.
Seconded biggest mistake is having any type of distraction in the shop while you are reloading.
ALL the post above me have excellant tips and advice so enjoy and hope this little post helps some also
yes, and never deviate from the published loads, follow the instructions in your load book and that come with your dies.......always remember you are working with explosives act accordingly :thumb:

·
Always Loaded
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really appreciate everyones input. I did some research, and agree with many of you that the RCBS supreme master kit is the one for me. I just ordered it off ebay. I paid $307 with free shipping. Plus I don't need to pay tax and it qualifies for a $50 rebate. So in the end I'm paying $257 shipped. I feel like a kid on christmas. Now looking for dies and shell holders ect. Thanks again.

·
Registered
620 Posts
this thread sure made me feel old......when I started reloading....42 years ago!!!....RCBS was just about the best I could find...and the new Rockchucker...with one set of dies set me back almost 40 bucks....everything else came in a kit...under 100 bucks....to get everything else needed.......back then ...reloading saved 70-80 percent of cost of ammo.....with the political enviroment we currently suffer under...reloading may well be the only way to afford shooting in the near future

1 - 20 of 37 Posts