Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how important is tip strength. i'm looking for a good medium sized knife that has a good point that isnt too thick and has good tip strenght and a pointy point for idk say digging out a splinter. I dont intend on abusing my knife but if i had to dig through a wooden door or car door i want to know that it can do it and still have my knife in one piece. is that a realistic expectation or not? I recently made a post regaurding the browning field x-treme x-5 knife but i am really conserned by its thin point. Its 1095 but still...:xeye:

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Most thin points of 1095 will do fine, if it is a quality tempered knife. A thin knife and prying is a big NO-NO. I'd suggest carrying a light, cheap Victorinox SAK. Most have a pair of tweezers, much safer than digging it out with a knife.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Digging out a splinter with a knife is both unnecessary and a bad idea. But knives just aren't made for that type of abuse. Not to say that there aren't some that will stand up, but that it's best to use a crowbar where a crowbar's needed.

If you're set on a knife I know the cold steel recon tanto is pretty strong on the point. I'd imagine that the Ka-Bar heavy bowie has a strong tip as well although I can't personally vouch for that one. Depending on your budget you could consider a busse... I hear they're pretty close to a crowbar/knife fusion.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at the $75 range shipped. i think i'm going to get that browning. I know that i shouldent use a knife in that way but it will be strapped to me so it is very likily that if i get lost it will be my only tool, besides my survival kit and multi tool of course.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
41,107 Posts
how important is tip strength. i'm looking for a good medium sized knife that has a good point that isnt too thick and has good tip strenght and a pointy point for idk say digging out a splinter. I dont intend on abusing my knife but if i had to dig through a wooden door or car door i want to know that it can do it and still have my knife in one piece. is that a realistic expectation or not? I recently made a post regaurding the browning field x-treme x-5 knife but i am really conserned by its thin point. Its 1095 but still...:xeye:
I know everyone is tired of seeing me post pictures of my knives but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. If you want a stout knife, check out the Tops. Very heavy and very sharp. I've switched my bug out knife several times but this is my final choice as far as my belt knife goes:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Abroken tip on a knife is not good. A brittle tip will break off. A knife with no tip is a screwdriver.

By the way if I get a splinter I will not be asking you to remove it.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know everyone is tired of seeing me post pictures of my knives but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. If you want a stout knife, check out the Tops. Very heavy and very sharp. I've switched my bug out knife several times but this is my final choice as far as my belt knife goes:

O and i love the tops knives, thats why i was cerious about that browning knife because its almost identical to the fire strike and i herd that it was made by tops for browning...? Anyway, I ordered a SRK it seems to have the right combination for an all around belt knife.

O and I am starting a "Get Brandon a TOPS knife" donation :D:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts