Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I manage my local high school cafeteria. We go through 3-5 5 gallon buckets a day that our pre-cut fruit comes shipped in. We stack them on a shelf with the lids in the kitchen and by the end of the month we are asking anyone and everyone to take them home. I have about 100 in my garage and basement but have yet to put them to use besides storing ice melt salt etc but just recently got back into prepping and am now seeing the value of these and wanted to suggest you guys ask your local schools or restaurants for these are they mostly just toss them they don't even recycle them (ugh!) I take them just to offer up locally because I can't stand to see these super heavy duty buckets and lids go to waste. going to start storing water short term in them. lids snap down hard and seal well and are heavy duty and take some effort to remove.
Just a tip for yall in case you haven't untapped this resource yet. free is good!!!! Any other suggestions for uses appreciated as I have a seemingly unlimited supply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good tip. Wouldn’t have thought of this. Sure beats paying $5 ea at the local box store.

As far as ideas on what to do with them. Buried caches, make and sell 5 gallon DIY water filtration systems (like the berkey systems), make a bucket garden, composting toilet, breed worms.

We use them to collect and store maple sap.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,655 Posts
Friends own a bakery. I can get all I need.
I like the square ones myself.
I get all sorts of other containers from them.

I like the 2 quart pails for when I reload.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts