Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cucumbers like to put out deep roots. Tomatoes, in the ground, can grow roots as deep as 6 feet. You need each of those in containers at least 3x as big as your largest one.

I use bone meal as fertilizer to feed the roots, fruit and it gives some nitrogen as well. It's an easy to use fertilizer as it releases slowly enough to not burn the plants.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Good start. I think yer over watering though. Let em dry in between. A hoop cage would help the tom. We did romas in 5gal buckets and they put off 50 per plant. Some strains are better suited to containers than others. If ya use a good soil mix and give good care theyll do okay in small containers. I like Promix.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
More container plants die from overwatering than anything else. Let the soil dry out to the point where, if you stick your index finger into the dirt up to the first knuckle, the dirt is dry. Then, water thoroughly until it runs out the bottom of the container. Let the plant get to the same stage of dryness, again, before you add more water.

And, as others have said, you need to repot into larger containers (with drainage holes in the bottom). You also need to go to a garden center (or Walmart, etc.) and buy a metal tomato cage. (Not an expensive purchase; usually about a dollar, each.) As the tomatoes grow, they need support for the added weight.

That having been said, I think you are off to a good start. You will learn a lot from this growing season. And nothing tastes as good as fresh veggies you have grown, yourself.

·
Unemployed Philosopher
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied and for the info.

So my plan for today:
1. Replant to bigger containers & cage for tomato.
2. Fertilize
3. Don't over water.

FN

·
Unemployed Philosopher
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update - Success!

I took everyone's suggestions and low & behold:

Garden doing muchbetter, tomatoes starting to produce again (alittle transplant leaf die off but still much better), actually getting some cukes now, peppers are lagging but alot better too. I was actually under watering, add much more now and plants are loving it.

Thanks,
FN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts