Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this?

Sometimes it makes me feel like I am going crazy. I try not to think about it but it is hard not to since it wont go away. Developed it over a year ago in one ear due to too much loud and sharp noises, it is a bit worse (feels so LOUD). Doc said not much can be done, well, nothing in fact.
For those who don't know; http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-105.shtml
Worst part is my hearing used to be excellent and I had seen this programme of this one guy who developed it and he had it bad, looked really distressed by it and I though that sucks but I doubt it'll ever happen to me... I was wrong. (If you don't have it then for gods sakes protect your ears!!)

I used to work in a theatre next to an air-hockey machine (curses to who-ever invented that pos machine) and the continual noise used to cause a lot of pain in my left ear since it was on my left. Also listening to music with headphones way too loud- the left ear is damaged so I know even though teh music was bad it must have been the air-hockey that did it. Sometimes I would hide the damned puck just to stop the noise for a few hours - had I known what would happen I would just have quit like that. This frikkin noise is loud, incessant and does not stop, ever. It's like a tv left on but on mute - that high pitch whine but really loud. Sometimes it makes me wish to just die to make it stop - but of course I don't actually want to die.. seems that it will only ever stop when I die though. Argghh.

Sorry, not looking for pity or anything, just wanted to say something because it is driving me crazy. Lately it seems to have got worse.

Anyway, for those of you with children or anyone even, if you are subject to any noise frequently that hurts your ears then PLEASE PLEASE STOP and THINK and protect your ears. I imagine with a lot of gun users here that I am not alone. I guess it could be worse eh, it could be a ticking or random drum sound rather than a fairly stable high pitch whine. :xeye::rolleyes:

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Tried Meclizine? the active ingredient in motion sickness pills?

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kahn,
Nah, I wouldn't take any meds for this, since that would be an endless prescription anyways. Plus I try and avoid meds unless absolutely necessary for acute sickness or such.
If anything the post is a reminder to everyone else to take care of their hearing. It's just another one of those things we take for granted usually.

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Getting a hearing aid helps. When you're hearing other things going on around you, it seems to push the tinnitis noise a bit deeper where it isn't quite as all consuming.

I have it in both ears, constantly, and only other sounds come even close to making me unaware of it. You do want to put your fingers in your ears to try and shut it out and it just gets louder. It is truly dibilitating if it is a bad case.

I'd had it off and on growing up, but about five years ago it became constant as my hearing deteriated and the tinnitis noise became more predominant. It is still getting worse. I don't really know what I will do when the hearing aids no longer help.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I to have this. I do have a hearing aid for my right ear but I don't wear it much. I just don't like this hearing aid and right now $2,000 for a new one isn't in the plans. My doctor said the worse my hearing gets, the louder the noise will get. And yes, sometimes it's worse than others. I have even been woken up by the noise that never stops. The quieter it is or the less busy I am the louder it is or maybe the more I notice it. I can now see why some people sleep with a tv or radio on. The noise is awful!

Yes, if you have good hearing do everything in your power to keep it. For me, I think it was hereditary as several people in my family have hearing loss. But, loud music even a lawn mower or garden tiller will steal your hearing. Hindsight being 20/20, if I knew before what I know today I would wear protective equipment every time I worked in the garden.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had Tinnitus since 2000. I don't have any idea how I could have gotten this. I did go to a lot of rock concerts when I was a teenager. I have seen Kansas, FogHat, Stix, AC/DC, etc, etc. etc. But the funny thing is that I did not develop this Tinnitus until some years later. I have been to half a dozen doctors up and down the east coast. They could do nothing for me. I have fantastic hearing - they call it HyperAccute hearing. However, you state that your hearing is not that good now.

I do feel for you. I know exactly what you are going through. My Tinnitus got so bad earlier this year that I did not know how I was going to function every day... So then - rather than take any drugs - I started reading books about "Reflexology" and began some of the massages on my ears. The intense ringing sound did get less intense - Thank God. But my ears ring 24 hours a day - 7 days a week - 365 days per year. It never stops. However, the massaging did lower the volume or pitch - but it is always there and in fact I can hear it right now as I type.

Does your ringing get worse when family members are talking loud or yelling or when the dog is barking and the TV is really loud and the phone is ringing? When there is too much noise around me - my ears ring intensely loud -- I hate that.

Read up on Reflexology for the ears and especially for Tinnitus - it beats taking medications.

Good Luck - there are more of us out here... unfortunately.........

·
Registered
214 Posts
Any problems with the water works? In chinese medicine they're both connected. You could try a good Dr of chinese medicine.

Cheers

:)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

Sometimes it makes me feel like I am going crazy. I try not to think about it but it is hard not to since it wont go away. Developed it over a year ago in one ear due to too much loud and sharp noises, it is a bit worse (feels so LOUD). Doc said not much can be done, well, nothing in fact.
Worst part is my hearing used to be excellent and I had seen this programme of this one guy who developed it and he had it bad, looked really distressed by it and I though that sucks but I doubt it'll ever happen to me... I was wrong. (If you don't have it then for gods sakes protect your ears!!)

I used to work in a theatre next to an air-hockey machine (curses to who-ever invented that pos machine) and the continual noise used to cause a lot of pain in my left ear since it was on my left. Also listening to music with headphones way too loud- the left ear is damaged so I know even though teh music was bad it must have been the air-hockey that did it. Sometimes I would hide the damned puck just to stop the noise for a few hours - had I known what would happen I would just have quit like that. This frikkin noise is loud, incessant and does not stop, ever. It's like a tv left on but on mute - that high pitch whine but really loud. Sometimes it makes me wish to just die to make it stop - but of course I don't actually want to die.. seems that it will only ever stop when I die though. Argghh.

Sorry, not looking for pity or anything, just wanted to say something because it is driving me crazy. Lately it seems to have got worse.

Anyway, for those of you with children or anyone even, if you are subject to any noise frequently that hurts your ears then PLEASE PLEASE STOP and THINK and protect your ears. I imagine with a lot of gun users here that I am not alone. I guess it could be worse eh, it could be a ticking or random drum sound rather than a fairly stable high pitch whine. :xeye::rolleyes:
Had it for 18 years. Along with ptsd its a factor that make my life ...eh.. interesting.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts

Deep clean your ears regularly! This will help big time, any ear wax on the ear drum will make the ringing worse so keeping the ears clean is important. There are medications for it but they dont work for everyone and do haveside effects. It is also worse when it is dead quiet. I have found it much easier to sleep with some 'quiet' noise in the backgound of the bedroom, be it some environmental noise cd playing or one of those machines that does the same thing. Due to a health issue I have I am constantly hot so I have opted for a small fan blowing, it kills two birds with one stone. Now for the bad news, if you havent discovered yet, sinus pressure can make the ringing much worse so head colds can drive you up a wall as can simple hayfever and other nasal allergies. I have found that benedryl is a godsend. Even though it is a hystimine blocker, it has a massive drying effect, which inturn helps shrink sinus tissues better than most if not all decongestants, but beware Benedryl is also the primary ingredient in most over the counter sleep aids so it can make you drowsy (it is also one of those necessary items in your survival supplies). I hope my experiences are of help to you on this, I've suffered from it for thirty years, ever since both eardrums were ruptured in an explosion.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Had it most my life in both sides Nauthiz, after a doctor scratched the ear drums carelessly during a run-of-the-mill gromit insertion about 11 years old. It got significantly worse during the teens, probably due to firing guns a lot. Nowadays I am so used to it that I'm only aware before sleep and if alone. Drinking alcohol makes it worse. I still have good hearing, being average on tests, but I expect that will not be the case in years to come. With regard to Jerry's finger in the ears point; try putting your fingers at the sides of the ears and pull face skin inward towards the upper cheek (enlarging the earhole) - if I do this the noise just disappears, so it can be temporary relief. On the meds thing; never even heard of one and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole anyhow.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I have it in my left ear. It is actually a convenience, I can pretend I do not hear my wife.

Have you had a MRI? Mine first surfaced in 1993. The ENT Doc just prescibe some decongestants and offered to puncture my ear drum, if that did not work. I chose not to have the drum punctures.

Fast forward 10 years. I bring it up to my Doc. He referes me to a ENT. Long story short, it is caused by a benign tumor, an acoustic neuroma.

I had it treated with Cyber Knife(fracionated stereotactic radiology) rather than surgery. The tumor is dead, but the damage has been done to my acuostiv nerve, and thus the ringing in my ear.

·
6,686 Posts
BTW the medication I recommended is over the counter. Usually called Dramamine, made for motion sickness (just make sure Meclizine is the active ingredient), it acts on the cochlea, the same place where Tinnitus comes from. Its non addictive and you can start or stop it any time.

FYI - Meclizine is similar to Benadryl but just different enough where benadryl doesn't work on the ringing.

Trust me, I've been a firefighter / paramedic for over 10 years and have had my share of damage from loud noises and sirens. I now suffer from occasional Tinnitus myself, when it gets bad I take 2 Meclizine and in about 30-45 min it does the trick.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
From 1986 - 2000 I worked in several welding shops. Part of our safety gear was we had to wear ear plugs the entire time we were on the clock. Even tough I wore ear plugs those 14 years I still developed some hearing loose and developed a ringing in my ears. Shooting guns and loud music does not help either.

After the year 2000 I changed my career field and went into computers. So my exposure to loud noises for the past several years has been a LOT less then what it used to be.

The only thing I recommend for you to do is - limit your exposure to any type of loud noise. Especially the bass thumping from car stereos. Do not wear head phones, do not listen to an I-pod, do not wear anything that drives the sound directly into your ear drum. These devices can damage your hearing and you not even know it.

Over the past few years I have noticed the ringing is not as bad as it used to be. If fact, I think its getting a little better. But its taken 6 - 8 years since I left the welding field to notice ANY kind of improvement.

If you want to do something to protect your long term hearing, limit exposure right now, not later, not tomorrow, not next week.

:thumb:

·
Adapt Improvise Overcome
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the replies everyone,

Wow, I didn't expect so many!

Jerry D Young, both ears? Gosh.. I am very sorry that it is quite so bad for you.

sherrieallen, as far as a hearing aid I have had it suggested recently, but it's not something I am going to try (at this stage), just as my eyes are not so good I still don't wear my glasses. The quiter outside noise the louder yeah, I REALLY miss silence - I used to treasure silence as relaxing and thinking time and now it is gone. I know that I am not the only one, by far, and I see that some have it far worse.. I feel for you all, I really do.

SkyWolf, Yeah, the damage seems to have accumulated on you.. even though at first you thought you were ok. That sucks.. It's an interesting question you ask, in fact, I had damaged hearing now that I remember when I was a lot younger (same kinda thing as you - loud music) It wasn't tinnitus at that stage, but whenever there was a loud sound in my head I would hear a tearing sound (imagine like someone dragging a live microphone across sand or that static noise when there is no radio signal) and that would happen when someone shouted or raised their voice or when a certain pitch was heard- I no longer get that since now I hear the tinnitus always, but when I am subjected to louder noises than usual it does hurt more. In-fact I go to trade college as a carpenter and when ever I am in shop I always wear hearing muffs now, when I started the noise of the mallets hitting the chisels was so loud to my ears that it hurt and made me want to yell and get mad at who-ever was doing it.

dolmen, no no problems with teh water works. I am not at all interested in Chinese medicine, but thank you for your concern all the same.

Wright B. Hindya, 18 years? It sounds like you are resigned to it, but since there's seemingly nothing much we can do about it that's understandable. Wow.

Palladin, ruptured by an explosion? 30 years.. Damn.
I keep my ears clean but absolutely hate doing it, it's painful to use those q tips.

arrexian, sometimes I wish (some) doctors would take more care with what they do.. I tried the ear thing but I did not notice any difference, thanks for the tip anyway I will pass it on to others.

skifast, lol, mean joke. I haven't had an MRI, but I am quite certain that it isn't necesary (I could be wrong of course but I don't expect so). How would piercing the ear drum have helped you, or was that going to be a last ditch effort?

kahn, that's handy to know, but as you can see for almost all of us the tinnitus is chronic rather than acute. Good point about type of work affecting the hearing though.

kev, you as well huh!? I bet there are lot's more too.. That's quite bad really.
I don't think I can avoid loud work though, but point taken and noted.
Hey, you know what, are ear-plugs a common part of peoples B.O.B do you think?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Sadly, I also suffer from this, and have for 25+ years.

As Jerry points out, about the only relief that I ever get is when the background noise distracts from the ringing.

Mine seems to get more and less severe with barometric pressure changes associated with weather. Many times, I can "feel" weather changes long before other people realize it, because my ears will ring more or ring less with a change.

BTW - earplugs are part of any type of bag that I have, and I usually have a pair in my pocket :-(

longman

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
The first doctor did not take into consideration that it could be a tumor. Acoustic Neuoromas are very rare. So he thought it was a Eustachian tube congestion issue. Puncturing the ear drum would have relieved the pressure from the congestion.

I would not rule out the the possibility that you have an AN. Even though they are not malignant, they grow slowly. Eventually, they can pressure the brain stem and cause serious problems.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Thanx for this thread Nauthiz. I have it too in both ears, since 1997ish. Makes you feel a bit better to realise how common it is. I usually don't notice it unless it's quiet where I am, or until I think about it like now. I had trouble getting to sleep for ages until I built a little white noise/pink noise generator with a single computer speaker and put it by the bed at night. Pink noise worked better for me. It sounds like gentle surf rolling in.

I hate to say it, but you do get used to it, eventually. Best of luck, Herne

·
6,686 Posts
try the motion sickness pills, can't hurt, they work for me.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Hi Kahn,
Nah, I wouldn't take any meds for this, since that would be an endless prescription anyways. Plus I try and avoid meds unless absolutely necessary for acute sickness or such.
If anything the post is a reminder to everyone else to take care of their hearing. It's just another one of those things we take for granted usually.
Actually you would only use it when the ringing really got to you like when you have a headache or hangover...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts