Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock_mechanism#mediaviewer/File:Flintlock_ignition_movie.gif

A flintlock tinder lighter, or tinder pistol, was a device that saw use in wealthy households from the 18th Century until the invention of reliable inexpensive matches. It somewhat resembled a small flintlock pistol with legs so it stood upright, and often had a candle holder attached.

When the trigger was pulled, the sparks from the frizzen lit dry tinder in the pan, from which the candle would be quickly lit. The device also provided a quick and reliable source of ignited tinder for the lighting of fires.

If the day ever came where manufactured lighter flints & ferro rods were rare or no longer available? A well designed streamlined lightweight modern version of one of these would be convenient in certain situations, e.g., isolated cabin, small homestead, small off grid settlement etc., as natural rock flint/chert is a natural resource in many areas.

A modern version could also be designed multipurpose to hold/utilize a small diameter ferro rod to strike against a file like frizzen. If ferro rods became unavailable, replace the file like frizzen with a smooth one for use with natural flint/chert

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes they are found on eBay cheap, if you are patient & shop hard.
There is a model made in the 1940's & 50's that often go cheap.
That's where I got mine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock_mechanism#mediaviewer/File:Flintlock_ignition_movie.gif

A flintlock tinder lighter, or tinder pistol, was a device that saw use in wealthy households from the 18th Century until the invention of reliable inexpensive matches. It somewhat resembled a small flintlock pistol with legs so it stood upright, and often had a candle holder attached.

When the trigger was pulled, the sparks from the frizzen lit dry tinder in the pan, from which the candle would be quickly lit. The device also provided a quick and reliable source of ignited tinder for the lighting of fires.

If the day ever came where manufactured lighter flints & ferro rods were rare or no longer available? A well designed streamlined lightweight modern version of one of these would be convenient in certain situations, e.g., isolated cabin, small homestead, small off grid settlement etc., as natural rock flint/chert is a natural resource in many areas.

A modern version could also be designed multipurpose to hold/utilize a small diameter ferro rod to strike against a file like frizzen. If ferro rods became unavailable, replace the file like frizzen with a smooth one for use with natural flint/chert
Very cool.......

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts

I'd love to have one, just for the having.

Another thing to have is a fire piston.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love to have one, just for the having.

Another thing to have is a fire piston.

I know several guys that have fire pistons & they demonstrated them for me.
What I didn't care for is the tiny little size of tinder they lit.
On the to/do list is build a larger one that will ignite a bigger wad of tinder.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I know several guys that have fire pistons & they demonstrated them for me.
What I didn't care for is the tiny little size of tinder they lit.
On the to/do list is build a larger one that will ignite a bigger wad of tinder.
You don't need a huge ember to get the fire going. You also don't need to spend a lot on a fire piston. Here's mine.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't need a huge ember to get the fire going. You also don't need to spend a lot on a fire piston. Here's mine.
Thanks........:thumb:

Your fire piston is bigger than most others I have seen.
I realize you don't need a big ember, IF (big if) everything involved is bone dry.

Some places get a LOT of rain & foraged tinder/kindling is often damp/wet.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Thanks........:thumb:

Your fire piston is bigger than most others I have seen.
I realize you don't need a big ember, IF (big if) everything involved is bone dry.

Some places get a LOT of rain & foraged tinder/kindling is often damp/wet.
I forget who it is, but one member here carries a little tinder pouch with him, complete with small, pencil-sized sticks and a pencil sharpener. It doesn't take a long time with the stick and the sharpener to get some nice, dry tinder. :thumb:

I've usually got the equivalent of a 2 gallon bucket of dry pine needles stored undercover for working my bees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.