Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Timex anything.

I had a Timex in my pocket everyday during basic training. I lowcrawled through gravel, mud, and clay, jumped up and around so many obstacles. The bands broke off, but the watch kept on ticking. It had so many scratches on the face of it that I could barely read the time.

I had a casio calculator watch that didn't last on outdoor hiking trips, but was neat.

I switched back to Timex, and now currently wear a Timex Expedition. It seems to me to be MORE durable than the one I had in basic training. This timex has repeatedly been under seawater, banged against coastal rocks, trees, and ground into the dirt, and it just keeps on going! My only complaint is the strange smell the leather band gives while hiking.

Timex has me sold for life.

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts
the sun. seriously, if its sunny and u know what to do, u can tell the time to within a half hour. so long as u know what time (roughly) sun up and sun down is at beforehand.

as for the best watch, i usually just wear cheep watches. they last forever. better then most of these sport watches...

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
now that is sweet. so expensive though. got any cheaper alternatives?
Pipe, in appropriate size; drill with small bits, hacksaw & dremel? I bought my Hussy a couple of these historic novelty watches for xmas. She loves them!
They last forever, no batteries. lol

·
Southern Man
562 Posts
Timex anything.

I had a Timex in my pocket everyday during basic training. I lowcrawled through gravel, mud, and clay, jumped up and around so many obstacles. The bands broke off, but the watch kept on ticking. It had so many scratches on the face of it that I could barely read the time.

I had a casio calculator watch that didn't last on outdoor hiking trips, but was neat.

I switched back to Timex, and now currently wear a Timex Expedition. It seems to me to be MORE durable than the one I had in basic training. This timex has repeatedly been under seawater, banged against coastal rocks, trees, and ground into the dirt, and it just keeps on going! My only complaint is the strange smell the leather band gives while hiking.

Timex has me sold for life.
I like Timex too. I always bring one with Indiglo lighted face. In a tent, it actually lights up the space! Cheap and easy to replace if it gets destroyed, but that hardly happens. Remember, it keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I bought a $175 Swiss made watch that uses a battery and has the tritium display. My dad saw me wearing it commented on how nice it was so I took it off my wrist and gave it to him. Since, I have bought the casio gshock waveceptor/toughsolar. It receives the time update 4 times a day from anywhere within 3000 miles of fort collins co and is all solar so I never have to open it up to change a battery. About $80 at Target. You can get watches that will set themselves anywhere in the world but I would never buy a watch such as the swiss one wherein to change the battery (& re-waterproof it) would cost more than a new casio gshock (~$100).
I do like the looks of this deisel one though.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
the sun. seriously, if its sunny and u know what to do, u can tell the time to within a half hour. so long as u know what time (roughly) sun up and sun down is at beforehand.
Yep. I got to where I could guesstimate within 20 minutes or so. Night time doesn't work too well though.

·
Freedom Patriot
295 Posts
http://www.shepherdswatch.com/products/aquitaine.html
Not good for ops use, but after the chaos dies down & we're maintaining...
Dang someone beat me to it!! I do agree you can tell by looking at the sun but these are pretty darn accurate. I bought mine a few years back at a Scottish Festival for $10. Now the nocturnal ones would be the thing to have for sure. WATCH BATTERYS DIE. Try going to a rennasance festival or scottish festival and talk them down especially if its a multi-day event go on the last day.

·
V
21,713 Posts
When its light, I get up
When its dark, I go sleep
When I'm hungry, I eat

The rest of the time I spend doing what needs doing, who needs a watch? :rolleyes:

Sorry
Back on topic with ya :D:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Why ???? the first thing i do when i hit the mountain is lose the watch ... goodbye cell phone ... and W.T.H. is a GPS... lolololo

·
Registered
596 Posts
A Rolex will stay wound and last you forever. I'm just sayin'.......;)

Mike
Well, not really. Assuming you don't bang it into anything and mess up the hair spring or balance wheel, killing it on the spot, any mechanical watch will start to suck at time keeping after 10 years without service.
For example, a Seiko automatic diver that I've had for 7 years no longer has a usable power reserve.
Rolexes are nice, but honestly, in this day and age, at $3K+ they're jewellery, not timepieces.

Not saying I don't like mechanicals, I own several, they're just not very practical for "field" use, compared to a digital or even an analog quartz, like a Citizen Eco-Drive.

G-Shock (any flavor) would be the best watch for any kind of serious use. Get one with solar power and the watch will run for at least 10 years (maybe 20 years) problem free., and will cost under $100.

·
dirty vegan hippie
431 Posts

as for the best watch, i usually just wear cheep watches. they last forever. better then most of these sport watches...
This! That thing where you hold your hand out at arm's length and 4 fingers = an hour.. that really works, plus it's so easy anyone can do it.
But I do also have a little zipper-pull from REI that has a clock on it. It's waterproof and I think there's one that comes with a thermometer on it too. (Along with the clock I mean.)
Wrist watches annoy me because they get in the way and get dirty.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Don't wear a watch either. I'm not going anywhere special that I need to be on time. The rules are fairly simple. Walk until you're tired of walking, make camp, eat dinner, sleep. The only time I need to track is the one that says "time to turn around and head back the other direction and go home".

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
your four fingers,., hold them up flat palm facing the sun, bottom finger at horizon. each finger counts for about 15 minutes.
4 fingers... 1 hour.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts