Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the Survival World as it were..

Some questions I do have are requiring information that only people like the people on here would understand.

Water
Fuel
Can goods
Meats

Those are my four main concerns right now I have some stock of these but I am not sure how long to keep them or how long that they will stay good after the expiration date, the can goods I mean.

Would anyone know what is the best way to keep meat good besides salt and for how long without being frozen could it stay good? As well as storing meat without it getting frost bite.

Any help on these would be very great news to hear, thanks.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh as well as Battries and propaine how long do all of these things have shelf lifes for?
I do understand that can goods are good for up to about 3 years or so, but not clear as to how long after we can eat the things in the cans until the day comes that you can't eat them without wanting to throw it back up.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Canning meats is one way, Im not sure how its done but im sure people on here do.

Batteries will last years. I keep mine cold and it seems to help. Propane will last forever. As for canned food shelf life I've read that what the manufacturer says is just for freshness and to be safe so they don't get sued. Items with high acidity like tomato based foods don't last as long.

Either way, at this point you need get busy. Buy what you can afford.

You also need to consider protecting it. Ammo is suppose to go up everyday but it's staying steady right now. Gun prices seem to be climbing a bit.
As for how much ammo, as much as you can buy. Don't think in limits when it comes to food, water and ammo. I'd rather die with left overs than die cause i ran out.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I had my connection break while I was typing in an answer. When I got back on line Wildjo had answered you question quite well. If anything you should do just remember
Most of all get started now. Make preparations for your first 3 days (72 hour kits for all family members including food). When you have done that move on to make it 2 weeks. After that go forward and make it a month or 2 months. Keep moving forward.

When you use some of your preparation stuff replace them with 2. You will be moving on out ahead all the time. Good luck and wish you the best.

Store what you eat and eat what you store. eat one replace with 2. Rotate cans by date. oldest out first. take care and look forward to seeing you in the posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts