Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this to be either impossible, or so energy intensive to be close enough. Despite that, lets have some fun with it.

If you found a means to transfer to a different place and time, what would you bring with you?

Assumptions:
- Access to this 'found' location is through an entryway approximately the size of a standard interior door.
- Transport can be done only twice per month at most.
- Total amounts that can be moved per transport cannot be larger than a medium sized bedroom.
- Destination drops you in Alexandria Egypt @ 100 BC.
- First trip was accidental, now you are going back again with a plan.

- What would you bring and why?
- How would you prepare to avoid getting or spreading disease?
- What language would you attempt using there? (Hebrew? Greek? Latin? Egyptian?)
- Would you alter the timeline?
- Would you want to stay after a few trips?
- What important considerations haven't I mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
I think the difficulty of being able to communicate is the main reason people aren't responding. Modern versions of ancient spoken languages are best guesses. There is nothing outstanding I can think of that would draw me to that particular place at that particular time except as an anthropologist, Egyptologist and the like.

Gold and silver is just as hard to obtain then as now. You have to work for it.
Buying and hiding relics for future recovery and profit is rather problematical due to the laws of today.

It just isn't an especially interesting or profitable time/location for me. Sorry.

Perhaps if you gave examples of what you would do would trigger something. Just a thought.

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
I have my AK and shotgun with a boat load of ammo the first time thru. A couple of dead people from a long way with a thunder stick and I will rule the place. :D: They will know me as Lord Vader. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the difficulty of being able to communicate is the main reason people aren't responding. Modern versions of ancient spoken languages are best guesses. There is nothing outstanding I can think of that would draw me to that particular place at that particular time except as an anthropologist, Egyptologist and the like.

Gold and silver is just as hard to obtain then as now. You have to work for it.
Buying and hiding relics for future recovery and profit is rather problematical due to the laws of today.

It just isn't an especially interesting or profitable time/location for me. Sorry.

Perhaps if you gave examples of what you would do would trigger something. Just a thought.

I believe many of the items we take for granted would be amazing and valuable to them. Firearms certainly, but there are downsides to killing off some of the superstitious populace.

A few things off the top of my head that are super cheap here, but valuable or interesting there?

Bag of Sugar
Cheap flashlight
Pack of butane lighters
$3.99 bottles from the spice aisle (even the plastic/glass containers would be interesting to them)
89 cent Ebay laser pointer
Cheap Fireworks
Cheap cubic zirconium (Can still cut glass I believe)
A 12 pack of bic pens, and a ream of paper
A cheap ghetto blaster and some extra batteries.
An Airhorn or bullhorn

For protection I'd of course bring something capable of deadly force, but would start with electrical or CS/Capsicum. Egypt tends to be rather hot and humid, but I think there are some knife/pierce resistant fibers out there for law enforcement.

For communication? Egyptian would be hard, especially for the majority that can't read. However Alexandria had major populations speaking Greek and Hebrew. Even Latin was spoken by some as a secondary language. I think most of us could fumble through main themes with a small phrase book. But full translators can be had for your laptop. For Alexandria I'd guess your best bet might be Hebrew. I don't know a word of it myself, but it may be the least changed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
a unassembled sail boat, capable of getting me to the Americas, or as you in the future will come to know it, the "RAZORS" and all the basic tools to start a settlement

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Finding" lost works from the past could of course be problematic since they can be dated if you have the original document. Even so, you find hundreds of them, and they all approximately fit with missing fragments, it'd lend veracity. You need to make sure the original documents are never accessed.

Heck, you could even scan a few thousand of their entertainment novels. You'd maybe need to claim a 'confidential source'. But they can hardly claim you faked 50 lifetime's worth of documents in hundreds of different scripts and languages.

And if you never set foot in Egypt nor take any profit above your publishing costs, would it be something the authorities in your area would care about?

Additionally: I bet you could find some amenable professor or grad student somewhere that would be willing to take the credit for finding something so immense to their discipline. They might even be willing to put together a Greek or Egyptian phrase book for you! Though it might be awkward to have to explain to them 'how it was actually pronounced'.

·
3 more years of this?
2,864 Posts
Bring a few laptops (with solar panels) with tons of vital information. Knowledge at this time in history taught to the Egyptians would alter the future. The problem is convincing them to use that knowledge. You would either be considered a god or a heretic.

Bury all large powerball jackpot numbers in a future place you would know you have visited and write a letter to yourself with dates of winning jackpots.

Save Jesus with your boomstick:D:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bury all large powerball jackpot numbers in a future place you would know you have visited and write a letter to yourself with dates of winning jackpots.
Even presuming you stayed completely under the radar, wouldn't the Butterfly Effect change those numbers? Still, it would certainly be worth trying. :)

Also, what would the lottery commission do with someone who won several big ones all in a short time? Might be asking for trouble with more than two wins...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts