Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Food, guns, ammo, precious metals - hasn't the time come now to keep a supply of gasoline on hand at all times? I'm getting ready to use my 30-gallon hurricane season supply and will turn around a put in a new supply, of course with stabilizer. They say you shouldn't keep the stuff in the garage, but some of us have no choice. I've always believed SHTF will happen at any time, now especially with Iran pushing conflict.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
yeah ive been adding supply slowly. even keeping my tompson deck seal cans to store gas. with stabil. and i keep the boat full

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,613 Posts
I have 2 metal drums of gasoline (110 gal) and an aux fuel tank of diesel in my pickup (90 gal).
I also have been storing fuel ever since I started studying geology and realized the risk of a major quake for southern california.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Well now with the start of winter, I always make sure I have a couple cans available for the snowblower.

Gona get about 8-13'' this weekend

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
I've been storing extra gas for quite a while now. My husband didn't like keeping it in the garage, and I didn't like storing it in the back of the truck (I have a locking bed cover on it) so we bought a small (locked) storage shed that we keep it in. I also make sure that the gas tanks in the vehicles do NOT go below the 1/2 tank level.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,613 Posts
A 55 gal metal drum can sit under a tree in the back yard with no worries. Mine have blue plastic tarp over then to hide what they are.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have 3 five gallon cans that I cycle through. I'd like to store more but I rent so my options for storing semi-large amounts of gasoline are limited

·
Banned
376 Posts
I've got a 50/1 mix gallon for my chainsaw, that would cut like 12 cords of firewood. The price in CDA, ID is 2.29 and 2.26 at Costco currently, time to stock up!

·
On Point
2,559 Posts
I make it point to keep both vehicles topped off (every thursday...fuel never gets lower than 2/3), plus the 5 gallons in the garage for the lawn mower. If the scenario requires me to bug out. I will transfer fuel from one vehicle to the other, with the surplus going to the empty fuel cans in the garage. My goal is to make it to the rally point. :)

·
Country Boy
1,094 Posts
I always have 6 5 gal cans, and between my truck and my wifes van we have around 50 gal there and 75 gal more in the boat

·
Registered
80 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is generally OK to store and use untreated gas for up to 6 months, right?

My current plan is to use my stored gas in the cars and refill the cans every 4-6 months... is that a solid plan?

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is generally OK to store and use untreated gas for up to 6 months, right?

My current plan is to use my stored gas in the cars and refill the cans every 4-6 months... is that a solid plan?
Not if you have that 10% ethanol mix. Your gas will go bad very quickly. Any stored gas should be treated with sea foam or stabil or similar. Also rotate stock monthly.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
I was going to say that anyone storing gas for any period of time should use a stabilizer. You can get some at Wallyworld.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts