Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks ..

Long time Aussie member here looking to get started with some basic prepping. I really wanted the thread to have a strong Aussie focus as it is difficult for us to get many of the supplies that the folks in the USA have access to. I was also hoping for some "aussiecentric" advice from the local Aussie experts on here.

While i do tend to keep a reasonably well stocked pantry compared to most folk that i know, i have been pretty "slack" about implementing any systematic prepping since joining the forum many years ago. It just seemed that there was always something else to do as a priority.

However, seeing all the empty shelves in pretty much every supermarkets in my area due to this corona virus thing has REALLY hit home hard and made me realize how vulnerable most of us are if something bad really happened and the supermarkets had to shut down for a while.

I live in an apartment in outer Sydney with my son who is in his late teens and at uni. He is smart, strong, resourceful and like minded in regards to the need to prep for the basics - but has limited ability to contribute financially at this stage. At the moment our storage space is very limited. We hope to be able to move into a house in about 12 months time, at which point we will really ramp up our water storage. But right now we both feel that we need to just make a start (with a planned, systematic approach) and at least do what we can given our current circumstances rather than just wait for the "perfect time and place" which is what we have both done up to this point in time.

I want to start with the basics and then work out. Because of reasonable, but not unlimited finances i have decided to aim for 1 years worth of supplies at this point.

So here is my basic approach. Please bear in mind that i am very new to this. I have read heaps on here and googled heaps but found some information a bit contradictory and ended up more confused than when i started. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as to things to change, errors in my thinking etc from those on here with much more knowledge than me (which is probably almost everybody!)

Priority 1: water

I am assuming 4L of water of person per day (2L to drink + 2L cooking & hygiene) > 4 weeks H2O for 2 ppl = 8L x 30 days > 240L

Bunnings sell a blue colored 20L "Jerry" can shaped water container. It states that it is "Made in Australia for Australian conditions" and is > UV stabilized, BPA free, Food & drug approved material. It also has a provision to take a tap. I have purchased 12 of these to keep in the apartment tucked away in the study. That gives me 1 x months supply.

Bunnings also sell a green 300L water storage container. It looks a bit like an oversized wheelie bin. I am also thinking of getting 1 or 2 of these and putting them inside our small storage cage in the basement. That would give us 3 months supply of water and is probably the maximum that we can store given the available space at this point in time.

When we move into a proper house in 12 or so months we will make sure that we have large water tanks that are not clearly visible from the street.

I intent to just use tap water to fill the water containers. I think that our Sydney tap water is OK altho i do have a vague memory of needing to boil Sydney tap water many years ago. I can't remember why and haven't done that for ages.

Question: Do i need to put bleach into the water containers ... and if so, which one of these should i use - and how much? To me the thought of adding bleach to drinking water sounds a a bit scary!

>

> [URL="https://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/productDetail/WATER-SOLUTIONS/WATER-TREATMENTS/Item/Clean-Oxide-Water-Treatment-Tablets-5-x-20g-Pk-Treats-10000L/30330"]

Priority 2: Food
1) Both my son and i love rice based meals. I have calculated that 1 cup of rice per day is needed for an adult male > 175g > 5kg bag of rice will last 1 person approx 28 days > 4 week supply of rice for 2 ppl = 1 x 10Kg bag

I think at this stage i can store approx 60Kg of rice (6 months supply) and try to build that up to a 12 month supply

Question: I buy the rice in 5Kg bags. I presume that its best NOT to get rice with any fragrance - just stick to plain old regular white rice?

Question: How do i store the rice. I have found the answer to this question somewhat confusing. Is it sufficient to just keep it in the plastic bag that it comes in from the supermarket or do i remove it from that bag and put it into the Mylar pouches with the anti oxygen things that everyone talks about .. or do i do the dry ice thing and put the rice into these food grade containers that i can get at Bunnings or Catch.com.au.. or do i do both ie mylar bags with oxygen things, then into the food pails?

> [URL="https://www.google.com.au/shopping/product/347747643011529832?lsf=seller:100794174,store:8274679485882020900&prds=oid:1568768484103383053&q=bunnings+food+storage&hl=en&ei=Z3ljXvKFJfCN4-EP7K2TkA8&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxOWPlrfbVxSHH7As48MxAek4CEodbRen9hi-YsXRSo-_NMJQz3XTKcaAkEhEALw_wcB,gclsrc:aw.ds"]

> [URL="https://www.catch.com.au/product/bulk-10x-10l-bucket-plastic-empty-white-food-grade-handle-lid-large-storage-pail-3992186/?offer_id=22387058&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxNvRi9hoazcWA_AG_DYHgaeWafjQo0VLRCxFAIyqWUNHtIrVw8NHpgaAq-WEALw_wcB"]

2) From my calculations it looks like 1 packet of dry pasta contains 4 serves ie 2 meals for 2 people. So 3 x pasta meals per week for 4 weeks for 2 people = 24 serves = 6 packets of pasta

I can easily store 6 months supply of a variety of pastas

3) Other stuff
We both like the powdered mashed potato mix (sad i know) so i have started to build up a supply of that as well as the following > cereals, canned veggies, canned soups, canned fruit, long life milk, long life cream, some snacks, health bars, chocolate, tea, coffee, sugar, salt, cooking oils, canned tuna, canned salmon, canned mackerel, pasta sauces, some special sauces that i like to use with both rice and pasta etc

Question: I have been incredibly surprised to find that VERY FEW canned veggies or fruits have "use by dates" stamped on them. I thought that was a govt decreed compulsory thing - but obviously not. Can anyone advise what is the approx "average" shelf life of Aussie canned goods?

What i am having trouble finding is nice canned meat! I have already added canned plumrose leg ham (which i recall as being quite nice), plumrose canned hotdogs (not sure about that one - will test it before i buy too many) plus the usual canned corned beef, beef goulash, tiny cans of chicken...

But i am so surprised that i can't seem to find large cans of really nice lamb, beef, pork, mince etc etc I think its important to find these as otherwise the rice and pasta is going to get pretty boring real fast!

Does anyone have any ideas of a supplier here in Australia? I wonder if its possible to do my own using one of those vacuum things that grandma used to do?

Question: what would folks consider a reasonable quantity of flour and salt to store ... and can they be stored in the Bunnings food storage bins that i referenced earlier.

4) Cooking fuels
We have gas cooking in the apartment. But what would happen if we lost the gas supply > I have purchased 2 x 8Kg gas bottles and a Weber BBQ grill oven - one gas bottle in use on the Weber plus a full spare. I also purchased 2 x 4kg gasmate bottles with a small camping 2 ring cooker that attaches direct to these bottles in our storage cage in the basement. I don't think it's safe to store more gas bottles than that. I am also on the hunt for a solar powered cooker and oven. I did see one referenced on here ages ago so will try to track down that link. That should give us (I think) a couple of months fuel to cook with at a pinch. Not sure what we would do when all the gas bottles run out.

5) Have ordered water purification systems from USA - just in case. That gear should get here in a few days.

6) I also have a 3 months supply of the "man shake" in a variety of flavors as well as a 3 month supply of the powdered veggies formulae - all for 2 people.

I think that's just a backup to the back up!

I feel as if i still have heaps to do. It can get a bit overwhelming, so i am just trying to do it one step at a time. I have not even looked at the health and medical and or security side yet

Any thoughts or advice on the journey so far is most welcome. I have done all the above over the last week but still have a long way to go.

Question: What is the best place for Aussies to buy the Mylar pouches and oxygen things?

Cheers
AT

PS. How do i put links in so that the links are short, concise and "tidy"?

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I FREEZE my rice and noodles before they are stored. Just FYI. Where I live the rice and noodles will sometimes have moth egg on them, and if I freeze the rice those eggs will never hatch

Also, do you have critters? Last week I bought 4 medium sized bags of catfood for the family pet. Today I intend to buy dish soap and a couple of other things

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,896 Posts
This is an excellent foundational site for those getting started: https://www.ready.gov/

You are correct. It can get overwhelming. Remember it's a journey, not a destination.

Ideas and products discussed in your OP are available here to get started: https://www.thereadystore.com/ They are a reliable supplier.

Mylar pouches and O2 absorbers, Seal-A-Meal units (and many other items) are on Amazon.com

Take it one step at a time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just on the Bunnings water containers, they also sell a wide mouth version.

Handy if you need to bug out as you can store other items in them like cans/dried food etc along with the tap. Once you are at your destination, you can unpack everything, fit the tap and use it as a water container.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I shop on Amazon.com quite a bit unless the local Aldi's or Dollar Tree has better pricing.
There appears to be ample supply of canned meat via Amazon.com. There's one listed in Sidney :D:. With this virus going around, you pay a bit more, but Amazon is trying to keep the prices down in view of the panic'd shoppers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in the Illawarra, just south of you, and have been prepping for over 15 years.

No need to put bleach in water if you store it away from sunlight. I have 6 x 20l containers under the house, covered by a sheet, and rotate them perhaps once a year.

I buy rice in 2kg packs, freeze for 5 days, defrost and store in sealed 200l drums. I lost quite a few packs years ago to weevils, before I started freezing them. 2kg packs are easier to fit in the freezer, and less to lose if a pack becomes infested, which hasn't happened in the 10 years I've been freezing. No need for oxygen absorbers using this method. With 250kg stored at home and 40kg at my retreat, it takes some years to rotate through it

I keep meat in my freezer and dehydrated meat in my pantry. The dehyde reconstitutes in water and is as good as the fresh stuff. I buy it online from Qld. Aussie beef with unlimited shelf life.

·
reluctant sinner
17,570 Posts
You should allow 2 gallons or more of water per day per person 10L is a good number. Water is cheap. You don't need to store all of it, if there are good supplies close by and you can process it to make sure its safe. I think you should have 2 weeks worth stored with out going outside for more.

This spring I'm adding a 550 gallon water tank, about $500 if I drive 50 miles to go get it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Don't think anyone has told you yet but flour has a poor shelf life maybe 2 years. Depends how much baking you do how much you will need.

Salt can be stored in any container that is dry. No need for oxygen absorbers or mylar bags for salt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions and advice. It has been very helpful and i greatly appreciate it.

I was initially a bit disappointed to see a lack of Aussies responding but i do appreciate any advice and suggestions as i have so much to learn - and have seen a few local Aussies respond more recently which is really helpful and very welcome.

I will try to make a list of the places that i was able to source items and the various costs once i have done my basics.

I have decided to split my goals up into "bite sized chunks". My first goal in "stage 1" is to get to 1 months supply of food and water. My second goal is to increase this to a 3 months supply (as well as adding vitamins + first aid items into the list) and my final goal is to get to 12 months of supplies.

Once stage 1 is complete i want to look beyond food and water. But that is a little way off for me at this point as my available storage space is quite small and i have so much to learn.

I FREEZE my rice and noodles before they are stored. Just FYI. Where I live the rice and noodles will sometimes have moth egg on them, and if I freeze the rice those eggs will never hatch

Also, do you have critters? Last week I bought 4 medium sized bags of catfood for the family pet. Today I intend to buy dish soap and a couple of other things
Thank you. That tip is REALLY helpful. I have bought a small chest freezer for exactly that purpose (as well as to increase my capacity to store frozen meat)

I am however, a bit confused as to the best way to prepare the rice for long term storage. I have been trying to do as much reading up on the subject as i can but it seems that there are "many methods" and i'm not sure which one is "best practice"

Some ppl say to use dry ice in the base of the storage bucket and just add the rice and seal, some suggest to do multiple "freezings" ie freeze for a few days, thaw over a few days, then freeze again for a few days, some suggest one long freeze of 1+ weeks then thaw and store, some methods also suggest to lightly heat the rice in an oven tray to minimize moisture after thawing the frozen rice.

So confusing! Is there any data or research on exactly how to go about it?

Thank you very much for your input. It's appreciated!

This is an excellent foundational site for those getting started: https://www.ready.gov/

You are correct. It can get overwhelming. Remember it's a journey, not a destination.

Ideas and products discussed in your OP are available here to get started: https://www.thereadystore.com/ They are a reliable supplier.

Mylar pouches and O2 absorbers, Seal-A-Meal units (and many other items) are on Amazon.com

Take it one step at a time.
Again, thanks for the response. I have followed your links and spent quite a bit of time looking at the information. There was some VERY useful information there. But i was also hoping to get some "aussie specific" advice and sources from the more experienced Aussie members on here. Our lousy dollar & poor exchange rate, the high cost of international shipping, the reluctance of some of the leading USA companies to ship to Au and some complex customs and border protection issues in regards to importing food stuffs make it more desirable to try to locate sources here in Australia.

But i do appreciate your suggestions very much. Just reading and increasing knowledge on prepping skills is valuable!

Just on the Bunnings water containers, they also sell a wide mouth version.

Handy if you need to bug out as you can store other items in them like cans/dried food etc along with the tap. Once you are at your destination, you can unpack everything, fit the tap and use it as a water container.
So far i have only purchased the 20L water storage "jerry cans", the 10L and 20L food grade storage buckets. I did see the wide mouthed versions. I will likely go back and get some of those as well. They do have both a 100L and a 300L compact water storage tank - but i live in the top floor of a low rise apartment block at the moment and my ability to store anything is a bit limited.

Once i move into my own house adding heaps of water storage will be a top priority.

I shop on Amazon.com quite a bit unless the local Aldi's or Dollar Tree has better pricing.
There appears to be ample supply of canned meat via Amazon.com. There's one listed in Sidney :D:. With this virus going around, you pay a bit more, but Amazon is trying to keep the prices down in view of the panic'd shoppers.
I did look on Amazon USA but the main brands of canned meat seemed to be Keystone, Survival Foods & Kirkland. I couldn't find anyone who was able to ship those items to Australia at anything like a reasonable cost - but maybe i missed the info that you saw.

I was a bit excited to see the Kirkland brand as i know that is Costco's own brand - but i was very disappointed to see that the Sydney Costco doesn't seem to stock what looks like the nice range of canned meat that they sell in the USA.

However, all is not lost as i have been able to source canned fish (tuna, salmon etc) as well as canned ham & canned chicken breast as well as the usual spam etc. But at least that is a start. I have NOT been able to find large cans of chicken so have had to settle for smaller 95g tins of chicken breast - which makes it a bit expensive.

I have stocked up on canned "meaty" style soups etc but i would really like to add large cans of pure chunks of beef, lamb, chicken etc

I'm in the Illawarra, just south of you, and have been prepping for over 15 years.

No need to put bleach in water if you store it away from sunlight. I have 6 x 20l containers under the house, covered by a sheet, and rotate them perhaps once a year.

I buy rice in 2kg packs, freeze for 5 days, defrost and store in sealed 200l drums. I lost quite a few packs years ago to weevils, before I started freezing them. 2kg packs are easier to fit in the freezer, and less to lose if a pack becomes infested, which hasn't happened in the 10 years I've been freezing. No need for oxygen absorbers using this method. With 250kg stored at home and 40kg at my retreat, it takes some years to rotate through it

I keep meat in my freezer and dehydrated meat in my pantry. The dehyde reconstitutes in water and is as good as the fresh stuff. I buy it online from Qld. Aussie beef with unlimited shelf life.
15 years! Wow... I have so much to learn and so far to go. But at least i have made a good start after stuffing around and just "thinking about it" for the last few years.

I appreciate your advice re NOT needing to add bleach to the eater before i store it. At the moment i have 12 x 20L containers of water stored. That is probably the max that i can store given the space available in our apartment. When we move into our own house we will increase this significantly, but that is probably 12 months away :(

My son and i really like rice and eat quite a lot of it. I appreciate your advice on the freezing method and sharing your experience. It sounds like you freeze the rice for approx 1 week in one big block ie in the same pack that it comes in from the store, then defrost it (and no mention of needing to put it into an oven to dry it out completely??) and then put it into either 20L or 200L containers?

When you place the thawed rice into the bulk containers do you first put the rice into a mylar bag and then put that into the bulk container?. That part is confusing me a bit.

I have started to stockpile beef, pork, veal and chicken mince in the freezer. I packed the mince into very flat 250g portions on the assumption that 1 x adult serve of (uncooked meat) is approx 100g - so 250g gives a generous portion for myself and my son - and because i repacked it thin and flat i was able to store a reasonable quantity in a compact space - and it should thaw quickly as we rotate thru it.

I did find a source of dehydrated mince from a company called "Strive Foods" in Tasmania. It was approx AUD $11 for a 160g pack of dried beef mince. They say that amount serves 4 people as it increases in quantity significantly when hydrated. They also do packs of dried veggies. I think from memory shelf life is approx 2 or 3 years. I bought both and will test them out before adding it in quantity.

Can you give the name or link for the Qld company that you get the dried meat from as i would like to try that as well?

I would still like to have a source of canned meats for longer shelf life :(

You should allow 2 gallons or more of water per day per person 10L is a good number. Water is cheap. You don't need to store all of it, if there are good supplies close by and you can process it to make sure its safe. I think you should have 2 weeks worth stored with out going outside for more.

This spring I'm adding a 550 gallon water tank, about $500 if I drive 50 miles to go get it.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have allowed 4L per person per day assuming 2L to drink and 2 L for cooking / hygiene. Based on this i have stored 4 weeks supply for 2 people. I don't think that i have the space to store any more. This is however, far short of your suggestion of allowing 10L per person per day!

I did do some research on water filters. Based on this i decided to order 2 x Sawyer Products micro Water Filtration Systems. Hopefully this will let us slowly gulp our way thru any water left in all the swimming pools in the area!

Water takes up a lot of space. And not having enough does concern me! But at least i have made a start and am determined to build on what we have as are able.

Don't think anyone has told you yet but flour has a poor shelf life maybe 2 years. Depends how much baking you do how much you will need.

Salt can be stored in any container that is dry. No need for oxygen absorbers or mylar bags for salt.
Thanks for the reminder re the flour. To be honest, i added the flour as i thought that in an emergency i could use it to make damper, pancakes, quiche, wraps etc. I will make sure that i replace it before the 2 years is up

My main bulk supply of dry foods is really limited to rice and pasta. While they are both foods that we like and most importantly, i know how to cook in a reasonable variety of ways I am a bit concerned that it was a bit limited.

However, i am also trying to store foods that we like and will happily eat regular so that i can rotate thru them. I don't have a supply of dry beans as i have no idea how to cook with them. I do have a good supply of a variety of canned beans which i can use in recipes with both the rice (and especially) and pasta.

Good point about the salt. I do have 4kg - but think i need more. Good to hear that i don't need to put them in mylar bags. That is helpful to know.

aussietanker: How is your shopping journey going so far?
I am certain that i have enough food and water for 1 month. I don't have enough water for longer than that and am unlikely to have enough (which is one of my biggest concerns)

I think I'm actually close to 4 months supply in regards to food already. I have adequate stocks of rice, various pastas, various grain based cereals, flour, salt, sugar, coffee, tea, cocoa, milk powder, long life milk, long life cream, frozen mince (beef, veal, pork, chicken), frozen beef & chicken strips, frozen and canned veg, canned fruit, stocks and sauces to cook with and to add flavor, canned "meaty" soups, dried mince & dried veg to trial. I have just sourced a supply of Au made whole egg powder so will pick that up next week. I have adequate canned fish and some limited canned meats that i have already mentioned - but am limited in terms of good quality canned meats. I still have a list of items that i wish to add.

I am trying to think in terms of foods that we like to eat and cook rather than adding foods that we don't really like as much just for the sake of having more.

I think it's a reasonable start - but before i buy any more food i want to work out how to store what i have correctly - especially the rice ... and to figure out where to source the mylar bags / oxygen absorbers here in Aussie.

Question: What is the best place for Aussies to buy the Mylar pouches and the oxygen absorber things? Is there a local source?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you check Amazon in Sidney? I see the open a warehouse there.
Yes. Amazon stores in different counties stock different items. Unfortunately they don't have those items locally. Its a real pity. I wish they did as i would be first in line!

BTW > Sydney is the city, Sidney is a persons name :)

However, thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is how I store rice:

Buy 2kg packs, place unopened pack in freezer for 5-7 days.
Remove from freezer, let defrost for a couple of days
Write expiry date in black texta on 2kg pack
Place defrosted sealed 2kg pack of rice into 200l drum.

The original packaging from the store does not get opened until ready to eat. No mylar, no 02 absorbers, no dry ice. Just buy, freeze, defrost, put in drum in original packaging.

Been using this method for 10 years without any problems. Rice gets slowly rotated through the drums, at a rate of about 2kg per fortnight. At 200kg storage, that means each pack sits in drum for about 4 yrs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is how I store rice:

Buy 2kg packs, place unopened pack in freezer for 5-7 days.
Remove from freezer, let defrost for a couple of days.
Thanks for that advice.

How long does it take for a 2Kg pack of rice to freeze ... and does it go hard like a brick? I have put approx 50kg in various sized packs into a brand new small 99L freezer that i bought from Kogan - basically completely filled it up. It's 24 hours now and while the packs are cold to the touch, the packs still seem soft and flexible. I would have thought that they go completely hard like a brick?

·
Registered
55 Posts
They dont go hard, even after a week.

Re your question about the dehydrated mince: my orderarrived today, from Settlers Food Products, Ferny Hills, Qld. It doesn't look as good or packaged as well as the dehydrated mince I have from Preppers Pantry (I think now out of business), but will re-hydrate some in next few days to see how it performs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They don't go hard, even after a week.

Re your question about the dehydrated mince: my order arrived today, from Settlers Food Products, Ferny Hills, Qld. It doesn't look as good or packaged as well as the dehydrated mince I have from Preppers Pantry (I think now out of business), but will re-hydrate some in next few days to see how it performs.
Please let me know what you think of the Settlers Food product. I am considering ordering some dehydrated mince as well as some of their dehydrated veggies from them so am keen to hear a first hand experience of what they are like.

Are the 200L drums that you store the rice in long term regarded as "food grade plastic" and what sort of lid / sealing method do they have - is it a screw down lid? Can you please share where you get them from and if no longer available do you have a link to an alternative that you would consider similar from somewhere like Bunnings (someone with 15 years worth of experience at this is definitely worth listening to very closely :) )

Thank you

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think some had olives in them. I have multiple drums. Some have screw tops, some have a metal locking ring. There is a place on Mamre Rd, Kemps Creek that sell lots of various drums.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think some had olives in them. I have multiple drums. Some have screw tops, some have a metal locking ring. There is a place on Mamre Rd, Kemps Creek that sell lots of various drums.
Thank you. I know the ones that you mean.

Settlers Foods sell a 1Kg bag of dehydrated beef mince. From their website i understand that its vac sealed. Do you know if its possible to open this up to portion it out into smaller quantities and then seal those smaller quantities into smaller sized mylar bags? And would i need to add an oxygen absorber to the individual bags?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also.. can anyone share how they store store bought spaghetti. The long dried packs that come in a long plastic style bag. Because they are dried and hard i wondered whether they might puncture the mylar bags?

How do you guys store them long term?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi, aussietanker.

You are doing well. Start with one months preps, then three, then six etc. Best way to do it IMO.

I am somewhat slack in my storage of long straight spaghetti. I put three 500g packets in a Ziploc bag and squeeze the air out. I then layer three of these packs into a plastic storage box. It is just a plastic kitchen storage box, not really airtight or water proof, just water resistant. These boxes get stacked in a metal trunk. Of note is I don't freeze these but have never had any bug problems.
It isn't the best way as a flood would ruin it all but it is rodent-proof. Ideally everything would be totally waterproof but..eventually.
Currently eating 9yo spaghetti so it works. I also write the purchase date on the packet and put a small piece of paper in the end of the (see-through) plastic box with those purchase dates written on it. This means I can easily see which packets are oldest.
Keep in mind that really cheap food is often of inferior quality and may not keep as well. I don't buy generic items for storage. Naturally, buy Aussie made if possible.

I recommend the Settlers Food meat products. Good stuff. It has a slightly different taste but is very nice.
I wouldn't recommend breaking their big packs down unless they were to be eaten within a short time. This is a standard rule with anything that has been packaged for long life. You would be introducing air, dust and spores so realistically would need to process the contents again to get the same storage life.

There is a place, possibly in Qld, which sells the steel 44 gal drums which have been cut in half and had the cut ends rolled so the clamp lids will fit. A much more convenient size.
Any storage container which is waterproof is excellent because it is also airtight. Most foods degrade because they react with air.

I wouldn't worry too much about using mylar bags for your initial preps. Most of the things you will be storing will already have a long storage life. So all you need to do is keep them airtight, water proof and rodent-proof.
Anything you plan to store for more than 2-3 years might need better protection but not items that will be used before that.

With regards to freezing food for storage, this is to kill insect eggs.
All you need to do is freeze all of the food. If you have a bag of rice you need to freeze it until the centre of the bag is frozen. If you have a drum of wheat you need to freeze it until the centre of the drum reaches freezing point. Once all of the food has been frozen it is fine to store. You don't need to freeze it for a certain number of hours or a certain number of days.
With your freezer packed full it may take several days for the centre of the food to freeze. Try freezing smaller packs which are not touching so the heat can be extracted more quickly. But either way works.

In Aus food which will keep for two years does not require a best by or use by date although some companies put one on anyway. So most tinned food doesn't have one. Generally tinned food will start degrading after about 3-4 years in my experience although may still be OK to eat.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of long-life meat.
Settlers does dried.
Hamper does corned beef, very nice. Other corned beefs (Brazilian generally) are very much a lucky dip. Some are OK and some make you want to vomit just looking at them; buyer beware.
There is also a corned mutton available at Woolworths/Safeway, also very nice plus it has a use-by date.
I like tuna but fish in brine may not store well, salty water and metal = corrosion. Tuna in oil may store better but oil will eventually go rancid. I do have quite a few of the little tins of flavoured tuna to put with rice but these get rotated fairly quickly.
Plumrose does very nice ham. Their frankfurt/hot dogs are manufactured meat like Spam but still nice to eat. I sometimes have a tin for a snack!
There is also tinned butter and cheese available in Aus (or was anyway). I can't remember the companies but IIRC Ft Frostbite bought some cheese a couple of years ago and may have more info.

Most of my rice is in 2 litre soft drink bottles. It takes up a fair bit of room but is very convenient. I started out doing it this way and just kept doing it!
I pour the rice into the washed, dried bottles, settling it down a bit by tapping the bottle on the floor every now and then. Put the lid on and stick it into the freezer for a day or two. When I take it out it goes into a box and stays there until needed. Currently eating rice from '09 so it works.

Although water is incredibly important be aware that it is everywhere. You can generally have enough potable water to last you for a week within hours. Urine, sea water, vegetation will all give you water in a very short time. But it takes, at minimum, months to grow food. Your preps need to take this into account. It is very unlikely you will dehydrate to death, much more likely you will starve to death. Have enough water, sure, but have a lot more food.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how you go and a list of Aus suppliers that you find would be excellent.
Also what was the egg powder and the "Strive" meat like?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts