Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to keep track of time. What time to get home. What time to meet. They are the two that I'd want to keep track of, WTSHTF. Waking and sleeping will probably come 'naturally'.

So ... most of our clocks and watches are run by battery now. Have you found a wind-up alternative for them, yet?

I've been looking on line and they are not cheap. I'm having trouble finding any in our local stores. -k

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
citizen eco drive and my pathfinder watch are both SOLAR..... but they will eventually break... so i am gonna go with a sundial in that case.... also have alot of seth thomas mechanical clocks... require winding every 8 days, but it has been working since the early 1920s

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
It might turn into the old days...Get up with the sunrise and go to bed after sunset...
Yep. The exact time is less important than knowing you have 4 more hours of daylight.

And if you know what time the sun rises and sets, you'll get pretty good at knowing what time it is all day.

Az

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I am a bit of a watch fanatic. I recommend any citizen eco-drive. They are solar, can charge by indoor lighting, go into low power mode after about 30min (I think) in the dark.... meaning the second hand (least energy efficient hand on a watch) stops "ticking". When light hits it, it speeds back into the correct position. They are quality watches with quality energy storing batteries.
Cheapest Eco-drive I have found...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=cheap+eco-drives&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4303359421328336141&sa=X&ei=lwsGTpn8OKHj0QHy-uTKCw&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

The other alternative would be a Seiko Kinetic. A micro generator keeps the battery charged. Natural movement of the arm powers the generator. It is also a quality watch and energy storing battery. This brand actually has a function which shows you how much energy is stored.
Fairly cheap kinetic (there are some for $100 but they are ugly as sin).....
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=cheap+seiko+kinetic&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1181291297439165146&sa=X&ei=7wsGTrumLOf40gGBzJX3Cg&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

Had both for brands 10+ years (not the models in the links). Both going strong. Neither have ever needed repairs or new batteries as of yet. Just be sure to price shop and don't buy em at a retailer.

There are other perpetual brands out there, but these are the only two I own, and I wouldn't want to recommend something I knew nothing about. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH GOOD WATER RESISTANCE.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
Big meeting after the end? It could end up like it was back in the 19th century when my 3:00 was your 4:26. I don't think time pieces are really gonna be that important.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Yep. The exact time is less important than knowing you have 4 more hours of daylight.

And if you know what time the sun rises and sets, you'll get pretty good at knowing what time it is all day.

Az
I have to disagree with this, somewhat. A watch is pretty important survival tool. Don't get me wrong, telling general time by the sun is a good skill to have. But what about situations like overcast days, stormy days, and the months of darkness up in Alaska.

Distance can be measured and determined with a watch.
Burn time monitoring
time at night
synchronization
meeting times with others(other than high noon, dusk, and dawn)
Situations like "If I'm not back in x-min/hrs, send help"
the old watch as a compass technique
scouting - knowing the time a road or trail is more/less traveled
The more techie ones have calendars/dates-------(so you can remember my birthday)
Favorite attack times of well trained military forces are between 2-5AM

Sometimes precision counts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to disagree with this, somewhat. A watch is pretty important survival tool. Don't get me wrong, telling general time by the sun is a good skill to have. But what about situations like overcast days, stormy days, and the months of darkness up in Alaska.

Distance can be measured and determined with a watch.
Burn time monitoring
time at night
synchronization
meeting times with others(other than high noon, dusk, and dawn)
Situations like "If I'm not back in x-min/hrs, send help"
the old watch as a compass technique
scouting - knowing the time a road or trail is more/less traveled
The more techie ones have calendars/dates-------(so you can remember my birthday)
Favorite attack times of well trained military forces are between 2-5AM

Sometimes precision counts.
Thank you, kevinthenurse, that's what I'm talking about. There are times, when you are going to need the TIME. I appreciate your being specific in some examples. -k

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I have thought about this especially where you need to time things for food preparation (canning). It is rather interesting trying to find a good mechanical timer. Most are now electronic. The few that are still mechanical are very poor quality and usually max out at 60 minutes. I noticed in my canning recipes most times are 90 minutes.

So it is a interesting problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like sands through the hourglass so are the days of our lives

I wonder if they make any serious hourglasses..the few I've seen in my lifetime were just novelties like the ones that came with some board games.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Thank you, kevinthenurse, that's what I'm talking about. There are times, when you are going to need the TIME. I appreciate your being specific in some examples. -k
I've spent a lot of time in the woods, and granted it was never teotwawki, or even non stop survival.

But I never missed knowing exactly what time it was.

Then again, I've been blessed with an excellent sense of direction, time, distance, and space.

I suppose not everyone has that advantage.

Az

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I wonder if they make any serious hourglasses..the few I've seen in my lifetime were just novelties like the ones that came with some board games.
You'd have to be very diligent in turning that thing over for accurate long term time counting. Now if you're just measuring how long something is cooking or something...

Az

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
I see suggestions for solar and self charging watches. That's fine in good times. But remember two things. They have internal batteries. Batteries have a finite lifespan. And technology has a way of letting you down when you need it most.

If we look into years past, before all the techno-crap, watches and clocks were mechanical, and the better brands were extremely well made.

I'd suggest prowling second hand stores and things of that nature looking for windup clocks and watches. Do a little online research to get an idea of which ones are high quality and reliable. Have a clock shop clean, lubricate and adjust them. They'll probably still be telling accurate time for your grand children.

My dad wore the same windup watch for over 50 years. It always worked fine. My aunt inherited a grandfather clock that has been in our family for generations. It's from the early 1800s and it still keeps flawless time. I have my grandfather's pocket watch from the turn of the 20th century and it keeps flawless time also.

I doubt if any of the ones made today will have anywhere near that kind of reliability and long life.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I'm kind of a watch fanatic also. I have several self winding watches and several manual wind watches. I stockpiled a number of wind up alarm clocks.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I guess its a matter of preference. I've seen just as many broken wind-up watches as I have watches with dead batteries.

If someone likes wind-ups, can remember to wind it, and not over-wind it, then it may be the way to go.

On the other hand "old-school" isn't necessarily always better than the new stuff. I'm not planning on swapping my vehicle for a hand cranked "Model-A" just because I know that electric starters can fail.

Anyway, I hope the poster of this thread and anyone reading this gathers enough opinions to form their own educated decision of "watch vs no watch" and/or "battery vs no battery."

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
I guess its a matter of preference. I've seen just as many broken wind-up watches as I have watches with dead batteries.

If someone likes wind-ups, can remember to wind it, and not over-wind it, then it may be the way to go.

On the other hand "old-school" isn't necessarily always better than the new stuff. I'm not planning on swapping my vehicle for a hand cranked "Model-A" just because I know that electric starters can fail.
Broken wind ups are usually either low grade units, or ones needing service. They can be repaired, but why bother. You can find good units on the market.

A high grade windup, properly serviced and sealed will last for many decades. A battery simply will not. If someone wants to use a battery dependant time piece, that's fine. I do it myself. But they should have a rugged high grade manual backup to it, just like with any other piece of important equipment.

An electric starter can be replaced from salvaged vehicles. I doubt a watch battery offers that luxury.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts