Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now the only manure I have access to is chicken manure. So I took a couple of wheelbarrow loads of chicken manure to the garden, then tilled it in.

Once the manure was worked into the soil, I made rows up around the plants.

Hopefully, tilling the soil with the manure will not hurt the plans.

·
prepared for life & death
2,463 Posts
Im sure you may already know but be very cautious with chicken manure. It is very high in nitrogen and will "burn" plant very easy if it is fresh. I usually pile mine up when I clean the chicken pens and let it sit until fall then spread out to sit over winter.

·
Registered
376 Posts
plowing chicken liter under works good but tilling not so much. with fresh manure you want to be down in the ground, thats why farmers who use liquid fertilizer inject it down about 8 inches. tilling can leave "hot" spots that plants may not grow in. a good watering will help dissipate and incorporate the chicken liter so its not quite so hot.

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
Almost all manures should be tilled into the soil in the fall or otherwise compost it. Then the compost can be used in the garden anytime.
With all the threads /discussions about using manure, :rolleyes: guess nobody reads them.
Potatoes should not be planted where manure was incorporated the fall before to prevent scab disease.
Rabbit manure is one that can be used directly around plants.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Almost all manures should be tilled into the soil in the fall or otherwise compost it.
Sorry, I don't do any of that.

I can't tell how thinly you spread your poop, Kev.
But, I'm sure that you've had sufficient experience with poultry poop to know what you can get away with... and... some idea of how well your garden has been growing over the last years.

My own personal experiences with chicken poop...

I'd spread it so thinly over the top of the soil that you almost couldn't tell that I'd put any out... except for the smell.... and then? let the rain wash it in. As long as I spread it thinly enough, it didn't matter what time of year I put it out...

Personally, I get better results with the horse poop available locally... I use it as mulch.

Have you researched local stables and bridle trails and like?

·
Canning queen
1,017 Posts
Larger animal manures can be composted in their bedding, thus preventing the need to till it in during the fall. Is it preferable? Sure. Sometimes it's not always do-able. The weather can turn and then where are you?..Probably like me, sitting with a trailer load of manure, in my MIL's driveway, waiting for the weather to get warm enough (and stop snowing long enough) to spread it. Got caught by snow last fall and it just didn't work. The stuff was pre-composted, though, and now it's got another 6 months on it. I get free goat poo from a local organic farm. They even load it into your hauler, just to get rid of it.

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,597 Posts
As of right now the only manure I have access to is chicken manure. So I took a couple of wheelbarrow loads of chicken manure to the garden, then tilled it in.

Once the manure was worked into the soil, I made rows up around the plants.

Hopefully, tilling the soil with the manure will not hurt the plans.

Tilling Manure into the Garden - YouTube
Tilling? I'm too lazy. That's for worms and pigs are for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts