Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case some of you have never seen a tiller in action, here are some still pictures from the fall garden of 2006.

This is a yard machines front tine tiller. The gas tank holds about a half a gallon, which gives several hours of run time. Usually the motor will crank with just a couple of pulls. The motor is a Briggs and Stratton. The oil should be changed once / twice a year.

Notice the root sticking up. We are just a few feet from a tree line. The further your garden is from large trees, the easier the ground will be to till up. The wheels also make nice little grooves for the fertilizer to go in.

This is the depth that I like to till to - all the way down, as far as I can get it. Look to the right hand side of the picture and there is fertilizer visible on top of the ground.

These tillers are an excellent choice for the small home gardener. Even if there is access to a large tractor, tillers like this one can be used to work up certain areas, or for working the rows a little deeper.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
heck, my beach yard is so small by the time I crank my Harley and put it in gear I'm 6 blocks up the road. I'm having to do container and green house till I get move off this beach.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I got an old Senator tiller from the 60's from a friend. I bought a $40.00 engine rebuild kit, and painted it up. It looks and runs like a new tiller. I used to dig my garden by hand, but I couldn't pass up that deal.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
It must be nice to have that sandy loam soil to work with.
You probably can till the day after a rain,....with this blackland gumbo I have to wait a week!
I have cabbages that need to be harvested, but with this rain I've been having, I'd sink up to my eyeballs if I tried.:D

Your right about that tiller,.....indispensable labor saver.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
Gah, i'd like a tiller as well, if not for gardening, then to re-level my back yard and plant fresh seed for a new lawn. But alas, my gardening area is pretty basic and doesn't justify the purchase of a tiller. Home Depot/Lowe's had them in the $280 range, and i wouldn't be willing to pay more than a hundred bucks for a tiller for my backyard. If i happen upon someone selling one used cheap, then i'll snatch it up, but as of now, it's just a wishful desire.

Instead, i will likely buy a garden claw to turn the dirt, and a garden weasel or similar to aerate/rotate it. It sucks to do it by hand, but hey, that's how our ancestors did it right?!

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
It sucks to do it by hand, but hey, that's how our ancestors did it right?!
The ones that survived used a plow and an ox.:D

Keep on the lookout for one BC, they are well worth it, and last along time with a little care. Mine was bought in the early 80's and is still going strong.
Czech all garage sales.:D

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I have a troy-bilt multi-tool. Since most of my gardening is in raised beds at the moment, I consider it more like a garden blender (or pocket excavator), but it has a 4 blade tiller, a wire weed whacker and a brush cutter. Mini 4 stroke, so no mixing, no fumes, but need to be diligent about adding oil. Works great for tilling down poison oak by the gates, mixing compost or manure with with soil and digs pretty mean fire pit. ;)

·
My Urban Homestead
31 Posts
Gah, i'd like a tiller as well, if not for gardening, then to re-level my back yard and plant fresh seed for a new lawn. But alas, my gardening area is pretty basic and doesn't justify the purchase of a tiller. Home Depot/Lowe's had them in the $280 range, and i wouldn't be willing to pay more than a hundred bucks for a tiller for my backyard. If i happen upon someone selling one used cheap, then i'll snatch it up, but as of now, it's just a wishful desire.

Instead, i will likely buy a garden claw to turn the dirt, and a garden weasel or similar to aerate/rotate it. It sucks to do it by hand, but hey, that's how our ancestors did it right?!
We have a hardware store/service center here that rents equipment. Check your yellow pages.

My husband used to make extra money when laid off by tilling for folks with no tiller of their own. Check the newspaper ads, or place one of your own. We have a local radio program like a trading post where we can advertise/request help for free.

We picked up a used one at a yard sale for $40. Works great.

Kitty

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
Yeah, i could rent one from a Home Depot or one of the power tool renting places, but the way i see it, i want one to *own*, not rent, if i shell out any cash. You know, preparedness and all.. At any rate, it looks like i've lucked out, since my coworker has a 2 HP gas edger that has a tiller attachment. I had seen these types of units for like $150 for the base unit, and then another hundred or so for the attachments at Home Depot. Anyway, he's going to let me use it for free, so i won't have to shell out any cash this time!

·
Wild Wild... East
3,013 Posts
Will be the next investment of my father in law. I just wait it :D

Bogdan

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I like my little tiller. Yeah, it bounces like a basketball on my sandstone, but with a bit of patience does exactly what I need. Also helps when I hit it right after a snowfall or heavy rain. As rarely as I have to till, its not a big deal. The smaller one also lets me till raised beds and do really fast dry mixing in a wheel barrow.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
I've borrowed a Ryobi Expand-It series unit with the tiller attachement. This looks like the perfect tiller for urban dwellers, as you can remove the bottom portion and install a pruning saw, weed eater, edger, tiller, etc. Several accessories exist for it. It is a good reason to not have to buy each of those things separately for in the city living. I've tilled about 20 square feet or so of it of never before tilled dirt. It took a bit of practice to get the angle and pressure down just right, but after that, the only thing stopping me were annoying rocks which periodically stuck in the tines.

Its a pretty cool setup and you can check it out at http://www.ryobitools.com/products but the site is in flash and kinda ugly. How come manufacturers never put really big pictures of their items on their websites? I wanna blow that sucker up to like 10 megapixels so i can see a good shot of it if i want to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been trying to find info and/or assistance for my Senator Tiller, model 140 41810. If you can assist please reply. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, im not sure if you are aware of craigslist or not. just go to craigslist.com and choose your state and what ever city you are in or closest to. it just a big classified ad website that is 100% free! i bought a mantis tiller of there for $75 and it works great.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
We used to have one, real handy tools, was real old and with a Briggs & Stratton motor.

Useful for more than just gardens as well, they make digging trenches much easier and so on.

·
Old Toot
296 Posts
There is a Yahoo Group for old tillers. I used to belong to it but no longer have it bookmarked. A quick search will turn it up. They should be able to help locate parts.

·
Old Toot
296 Posts
I have a Troy-Bilt horse for this dark clayey stuff which hides the caliche underneath. I've added tons of compost and tilled it in with the TB Horse and finally can get a few things to grow. I also picked up a Mantis which is much more useful now that I'm trying raised beds, lasagna , and square foot gardening.
I enjoy the smell of the fresh turned earth but have noticed that it's more work than it used to be. While the nose may enjoy the aroma the body complains so I'm trying some other methods.
The Mantis is one little package of dynamite. At 20 lbs it's light but it's one digging machine. I dug a 75 foot long by 1 foot deep trench with it to lay in a electric line and water pipe to an out building. Worked great.
Of course if I had Kev's good looking sandy loam I wouldn't even own a tiller, just use a dining fork. :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've been trying to find info and/or assistance for my Senator Tiller, model 140 41810. If you can assist please reply. THANK YOU!
I just did a total tear down and rebuild of an old Senator tiller last spring. The only parts I needed were original governor linkage and an engine rebuild kit. I got them all from the local Briggs and Stratton dealer. I had to wait a while for a few parts, but they got them for me. The whole project cost about $70.00, but it looks and runs like new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts