Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Locked and Stocked
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the toll booth on Florida's turnpike on april 14th. The attended stopped me and said the transponder was broken in this lane. So i asked to back up and use a nother lane. He advise me this is illegal and told me to give him the proper change and i could be on my way. It was $2.75 I had $2.60 So he wrote me a ticket rather than saying hey its okay. I got home ****ed off and checked my sunpass record online. Now i had a ticket and the sunpass transponder did work and took out the $2.75. I called sunpass and they agreed to dismiss the ticket. I got a dismissal confirmation number.

On July 1st I get a letter from the DOT saying my license will be suspended by July 19th if i don't pay 224.00 dollars plus a 60 reinstatement fee for an unpaid toll violation. WTF!

I have been calling sunpass center for 2 weeks every day to get the proper documents to submit to my local clerk of the court.
All i get is the runaround and promises of well fax it to you and email it.
2 weeks later nothing.

I then just called the Clerk of Court and advised them of my situation. They told me i have to come in and plead not guilty . To plead not guilty will cost me 25 dollars . Non refundable. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!! Some ones getting f*cked, I think its Daddy!!!!!! Does anyone have any advise. Please give me some input im at a loss of words! :mad:

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Sorry for you but thats just the way things are set up these days. companies know you will pay the fee instead of taking time off and maybe hiring a lawyer and court fees.

·
Unable to read or comprehend rules.
1,318 Posts
Something similar almost happend to me... I was in palm beach for jury duty and got off the turnpike about to go through a toll booth on an exit I don't normally use, they had no dedicated sunpass lane, so I pulled up to an available lane and the woman asked for 50 cents whatever it was...

I said I had a sunpass, pointed to it, and pointed to the sunpass sign above the lane, the woman said sorry, I need the change. I told her I have a pass and it has already charged me... She made me pay, wouldn't lift the gate, and threatened to summon a cop a few yards away. I was dumbfounded and paid the extra 50cents. It has never happened before or since, it was only 50 cents more, but it was messed up.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
a $25 dollar charge is better than a $285 charge. It sucks, but i guess your going to have to go with the lesser of two evils here. You could always say F*** it and give up your license and just start biking. Save you $ in gas, maintenance, insurance and your fitness level will go through the roof. This is actually what I started doing about 11 months ago. Saved a huge amount of $. But then again live within ten miles of work too.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Could you demand a Court Trial? Bring in what proof you have and be found not guilty, case dismissed.

That and take Sunpass to small claims court for the $25.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Call your local tv news and tell a reporter about your story. Mention the double tolling. They love to get involved in those things....and the second they do, all your probs will mysteriously be discovered to be computer glitches and go away really fast.

rich

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
The court system totally sucks. I got a notice years ago, that I had a warrant for missing a court appearance. One of my Ex-friends was using my name.
I went to court to plead not guilty & was told that I had to post a $500.00 Fine before I could go to court. I ask about paying a fine before I was convicted of a crime. I was told to pay the fine or be taken in to custody if I wanted my day in court I was offered an extension. I was collecting the GI-Bill going to school at the time. And did not have the money I was lucky I could borrow the money from my Parents. I went to court to a woman who was a commissioner in training and didn't know her job. After an hour of going back and forth with a ADA who didn't care that I was not the person who got the ticket and could prove it. I convinced the court I was innocent. I asked for my $500.00 back and was told a check would be sent in six (6) to eight (8) weeks. I stated that was unacceptable and she told she couldnt do anything for me and to basically told to go kick rocks,
I stated that she acting as a judge and could issue a court order to write me a check. And she refused to even consider it. And when I started to insist sorry no can do.
So to get my day in court it was money up front but to pay me back it was wait till we get around to it. If you haven't figured it out yet their is no justice system in in America we have a legal system that run's on money if you have money you can work the system.
XR750

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Hmmmm... I smell "Class Action Lawsuit" here. I am sure you are not the only one. Now problem is finding an ambulance chaser to do it without fronting any money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts