Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is an article/link, I saved, from the old site.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/tickgone.htm

Evaluation of Three
Commercial Tick Removal Tools

by: Richard L. Stewart Jr, Willy Burgdorfer and Glen R. Needham
Acarology Laboratory
The Ohio State University
Biological Sciences Building
484 W. 12th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210

source: Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 9, 137-142 (1998)

Abstract
We evaluated three commercially available tick removal tools against medium-tipped tweezers. Three inexperienced users randomly removed attached American dog ticks (Dermacentor variabilis ) and lone star ticks (Amblyomma americanum L.), from laboratory rabbits in a university animal facility. Tick damage occurring from removal and quantity of attachment cement were compared. No tool removed nymphs without damage and all tools removed adults of both species successfully. American dog ticks proved easier to remove than lone star ticks, whose mouthparts often remained in the skin. Nymphal ticks were consistently removed more successfully with commercial tools when compared to tweezers. The commercial tick removal tools tested were functional for removal of nymphs and adults, and should be considered as viable alternatives to medium-tipped tweezers. Most importantly, use of these tools may encourage reluctant people to promptly remove ticks rather than delaying or using dangerous ineffective folk methods. When tick parasitism cannot be avoided, prompt removal is the next best alternative for reducing infection risk..........................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Post No. 1 (Sorry everyone, not much of a first post, is it? But I need to get 5 posts under my belt so I am able contact the moderator and find out why I haven't received the email that will enable my account under my preferred Survivalistboards username.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts