Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ID this tick.

I found it attached to my leg after a short hiking trip on the deer lease; it was attached to my left calf.

The tick was safely removed with the head intact.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
You sure it's not a sabre tooth crotch cricket?:D:

Reactions: ecilop and kev

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You sure it's not a sabre tooth crotch cricket?:D:
Best reply so far!!!! I needed a good laugh. :thumb:

If it is was dog tick,

http://www.ticktexas.org/ticks/adult_female_american_dog_tick.htm

The American dog tick, Dermacentor variabilis, is widely distributed east of the Rocky Mountains and also occurs on the Pacific Coast. The dog is the preferred host of the adult D. variabilis, although it readily feeds on many large mammals including man. The males and females have pale whitish or yellowish markings on the scutum or dorsal shield. Males may be only 1/8 inch long, while engorged females may be as much as ½ inch in length. This tick species is known to transmit Rocky Mountain spotted fever and tularemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

Tularemia (also known as "rabbit fever", "deer-fly fever", "Ohara fever" and "Francis disease") is a serious infectious disease caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis. F. tularensis is a small gram-negative non-motile coccobacillus. The bacterium has several subspecies with varying degrees of virulence. The most important of those is F. tularensis tularensis (Type A), which is found in lagomorphs in North America and is highly virulent for humans and domestic rabbits. F. tularensis palaearctica (Type B) occurs mainly in aquatic rodents (beavers, muskrats) in North America and in hares and small rodents in northern Eurasia. It is less virulent for humans and rabbits. The primary vectors are ticks and deer flies, but the disease can also be spread through other arthropods. The disease is named after Tulare County, California.

Treatment and prevention

The drug of choice is Streptomycin. Tularemia may also be treated with gentamicin for ten days, tetracycline-class drugs such as doxycycline for 2-3 weeks, chloramphenicol or fluoroquinolones. An attenuated, live vaccine is available, but its use is restricted to high risk groups. Its use as post-exposure prophylaxis is not recommended.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
I'd say a male Rocky Mountain wood tick but you are in Texas so probably American dog tick.

Whichever it was, it was definitely a male. :thumb:

Don't freak out about diseases. If you are that nervous, get tested. I've had two tick bites in my life and never went to the doctor. I think I'm alright. haha....some may argue that though!

·
NO!
106 Posts
I thought Dog ticks were solid brown or gray, at least here in Kansas. With the lines on its back it kinda looks like a rocky mountain wood tick or a gulf coast tick to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts