Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some bad thunderstorms roll through last night. We were without out power for over an hour - no big deal.

My wife and I keep several kerosene lanterns in the living room, on top of a book shelf. We also keep two boxes of kitchen matches next to the lanterns.

After work my family went out to eat. My mom and dad were up visiting and checking on the deer camp. So, my parents, sons, my wife and I went to a local mexican food place. When we got home and realized that we had no power, it took a whole minute to get the lantern down from the book shelf, matches and get some light going.

I am just wondering how many people keep lanterns, or some kind of light source ready to go? Right now, there are 3 kerosene lanterns on top of the book shelf, with 2 boxes of matches. All three lanterns are filled 3/4 - full with kerosene.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I keep at least one kerosene lantern in every room of the house except the kids rooms (they both have there own colored 3-cell maglight). I also have one in my garage next to the door, my workshop, and my barn.

I buy the walmart cheap red metal ones. There about $6 each. I also keep about 25 extra wicks and about 5 gallons total of the smell-good fuel.

And every time I go to the flea market I look for both them and coleman lanterns. Last week I bought three used coleman 2-wick lanterns for $22. Two of them needed globes.

God Bless

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
I always have a single-LED light on my keychain, a flashlight in the bedroom, a disposable BIC lighter and my Zippo in my pockets. Decent enough for personal light, or finding the lantern/candles, but not enough to light an entire room for multiple people.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
I have piles of candles and 3 lanterns but I found the LED lights to be much safer. I have a bunch of flash lights, batteries.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I keep lanterns, candles and battery powered lights, also.
I got 5 of those small emergency lights, that plug into a wall outlet and placed them around the house.
They come on when the power goes off, plus you can use them as a rechargeable flashlight.
They scare the h3ll out of you, when you are in bed asleep and the power goes off!
On a side note, I came home, one day and noticed all my neighbors, sitting outside their houses.
The power had gone off, hence, their electric garage doors wouldn't come up. Most did not carry a house key.
I do.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have kerosene lanterns and lamps, led flashlites, led lanterns and shake flashlites, so i think i'm set.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
We have flashlights and batteries, many candles and matches, three oil lamps (Lehmans) and a case (about 6 gallons) of refined lamp oil from Lehmans. That should do it for now. I figure without power we won't be tempted to stay up late watching TV, so we wouldn't use the candles and lanterns too many hours each evening after dark, especially in summer when the sun is up later.

Power outages due to ice storms and severe thunderstorms are perhaps the most common reason Americans can lose power to their homes. I have found that many people don't have even the most basic lantern, etc. for light. Forget about all of the more sophisticated preps members have exhibited on these pages.

I might need that shotgun one day after all. :)

·
Wasteland Wanderer
541 Posts
I keep tons of candles with matches right beside them all over my bed room and in the bathroom. Power ususally goes out when I'm asleep, so the only real problem is my alarm not going off in the morning. :(

(It happens maybe once a year, not enough to convince me to get a wind up)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Act and I fire up the gen., turn the TV on and watch the neighbors use their candles. Can't get many around here to do much preparing. I know we will be ok. Have offered to help the others get ready but they don't seem to care. All have kids and that is what is going to be hard to handle if and when something does happen. My mother in me is going to have a hard time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our power went out for a few hours as well. I couldn't find my kerosene lantern. Two of my flashlights didn't work and all our candles were put away to make room for christmas decorations.

I suck.

·
Team Lauren 2010
410 Posts
I have lights that automatically turn on in a power failure throughout the house as well as flashlights in every room. I have several battery lanterns and a candle lantern with several sets of extra batteries.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
We break out the coleman backpacking lantern, give it a couple pumps and bingo, its on since we bought the inside the globe strikers and need no matches.

It puts out the same as a 75 watt light bulb, and we had neighbors come over to find out why we had power and no one else did the last time we used it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The power just came back on here, in central N.C., after being out for 3.5 hours. I have a small solar setup which powers a 12v light over the computer. I use this light just about every days, so I know it always works. I have two 12v Coleman lanterns on a table next to the woodstove. One of these didn't have a very good charge, same on me. The other one doesn't have a rechargeable battery and I use it directly from the 12v power source, so it worked fine. I also have two oil lamp on top of the bookcase, but I didn't even bring them down tonight.

I have a couple of 4 LED "tap lights" that I use in the bathroom and kitchen. They are plenty bright enough for both of these rooms. I also have one of these mounted on the closet wall in the bedroom. I have found these very useful.

I have a 350w inverter that powered the computer, and I never lost the internet connection.

3.5 hours isn't a real test for me any more. It needs to be a least a day before I would even break out the generator to pump water or run the refrigerator.

·
Registered
224 Posts
power goes out and the generator starts up few minutes later and will run the whole house for about 5 days straight thanks to a large propane tank and we also have flashlights,candles and such just in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts