Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else heard of thunder in a snow storm. Its about 13 degrees outside right now, almost 2 feet of snow here, bad wind. and a blizzard warning is issued. Heres a copy of the warning they issued

Issued by The National Weather Service
Caribou, ME
8:20 pm EST, Sun., Dec. 21, 2008

... BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST MONDAY...

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST MONDAY.

SNOW... HEAVY AT TIMES WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MIDNIGHT WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL BE ACROSS THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS... INTERIOR DOWNEAST INTO NORTHERN AND CENTRAL WASHINGTON COUNTY. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN THIS REGION WILL RANGE FROM 12 TO 18 INCHES BY MONDAY MORNING. ALONG THE COAST... TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 9 TO 12 INCHES MAINLY AWAY FROM THE IMMEDIATE COAST.

IN ADDITION TO THE HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL BE THE WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH OVERNIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING. GUSTS OF 45 TO 50 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. SOME POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY ALONG THE COAST DUE TO THE STRONG WINDS.

THIS STORM MAY ALSO PRODUCE A RUMBLE OF THUNDER OR TWO THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED. THIS STORM WILL HAVE AN EXTREME IMPACT ON THE WARNING AREA. VERY STRONG WINDS COMBINED WITH HEAVY SNOW WILL CREATE POTENTIALLY DEADLY OUTDOOR CONDITIONS. WHITEOUTS... DEEP SNOW DRIFTS AND FROSTBITE OF EXPOSED SKIN CAN BE EXPECTED.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I've heard it one time.We had a heavy snowstorm here back in I think 93 or 94.I heard thunder a couple times and actually seen a flash of lightning.I thought that was kinda trippy.

Reactions: AbnInfantryNmaine

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
If you think thats something if your a HAM radio operator one can have there tower/antenna setup bring in a lethal charge in to the house from wind drive snow!!

One of my instructors had a 2 meter(VHF) base station in his kitchen so that other members of the family (who were also hams) could talk from a place other than the shack. Well he had disconnected the radio from the antenna when as he knew wind driven snow could bring a charge strong enough to destroy the radio. Sure enough he was in his office doing paperwork when he heard popping noises coming from the kitchen. The coax cable was dancing around the counter and every flash out of the connector was melting a small hole in the formica counter top!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Yet another reason to ground any antenna installation. :thumb:

Rifleman 336

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Heard it once in Washington.
Weird.

Also strange, never heard thunder once while living in Alaska. Strange coming from Louisiana where thunder rolls with almost every big rain storm.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Heard thunder during the snow storm that just passed this way. At first I thought it was just the sound of a plow scraping the road... Looked up, and there were no plows around. Happened again, but only a few times. Was pissed it didn't last longer - I love lightning and thunder.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Also strange, never heard thunder once while living in Alaska. Strange coming from Louisiana where thunder rolls with almost every big rain storm.
...and we Alaskans all still run outdoors and look at the mountains every time we do get thunder! It's something fun for us for sure :) But thunder snow, that's a REAL treat! But one of my favorites is the light poles...when ice fog catches the light from everything on a dark, icy cold morning and shoots up a solid column of light! Really cool!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It happened when I lived in Iowa. The one I remember the best was on Christmas morning in 1982. My sons first Christmas we had to travel to my folks in a thunder snow. I considered it a Christmas present from God it was awesome.

The Wood Duck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts