Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Review of the Thurnite Archer 1A V3 flashlight. Awhile back I did a review of the ThruNite TN12. The TN12 took everything I threw at it and kept working. With the Thrunite Archer I decided up up the game and add some different test.

Disclosure: The Thurnite Archer was sent to me at no cost to myself. This will not affect my opinion of the flashlight and hopefully will not affect your opinion.

Thrunite Archer specs from the website:

• LED: CREE XP-L V6 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
  • Modes & Run-time:
  • Firefly: 0.1lumen(17days);
  • Low: 17 lumen (22hours);
  • Medium: 75 lumen (5hours)
  • High: 200 lumen (115minutes);
  • Strobe: 200 lumen (3.5hours).
  • Max output: 200 lumens using one Ni-Mh AA battery.
  • Max run time: 17days (Firefly mode)
  • Working voltage: 0.9v to 5.0v.
  • Battery: 1 AA
  • Max beam distance: 66 meters.
  • Peak beam intensity: 1088cd.
  • Impact resistant: 1.5 meters.
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (1.5meters)
  • Weight: 42g without battery
  • Dimensions: 110mm in length, 23mm bezel diameter.
  • Accessories: Pocket clip x1, Spare O-ring x1, Lanyard x1.

In my opinions specs are secondary to reliability. How reliable is the Thrunite Archer? That is what I set out to find.

The torture test:

Freeze test - Froze in a deep freezer at -12 for 17 hours. Why freeze the flashlight? To see if the compressing water could get past the o-rings.

After being frozen, but not shown in the video, the battery was taken out and there was no water inside the light.

Future test I am thinking about covering the light with maybe an inch of water, turning the light on low, then see if the light works when frozen. I have seem electronics stop working when temps reach freezing, such as deer feeder timers. The question I have is will the flashlight work at subzero temps.

After the light was thawed from the block of ice it was left submerged in the water for another 24 hours.

Impact test - The flashlight did not have enough mass to drive nails, so it was duct taped to a framing hammer. With the Thrunite Archer flashlight taped to the hammer head, three 12 penny nails were driven through a 2x4.

One of the worst feelings is when a flashlight is dropped and it stops working.

I do the impact test to simulate the sudden stop from a fall. Will any parts break loose from the impact?

The Thrunite Archer worked just fine after driving all three nails.

Truck test - To simulate the flashlight falling out of a moving vehicle. To make things interesting I tied some trotline string to the flashlight so that it was pulled behind the truck for a little while.

While my fiancee was driving down a country road I tossed the Thrunite Archer over the tailgate of my truck. At first the Archer came to rest, then was jerked when the string was pulled tight.

This was an enjoyable experience. The Thrunite Archer was bouncing all over the road. The light was pulled for a couple of hundred yards. The truck was stopped, I got out, walked to the light, and all the brightness settings worked.

Tire test - the Thrunite Archer was duct taped to the front tire of a Massey Ferguson 231 tractor. The 231 weighs around 4,000 pounds with no attachments. The tractor had a brush hog attached.

I wanted to see if the flashlight would crack, or the bezel break.

Everything works.

Road kill test - the Thrunite Archer was placed on a hard road and then ran over several times with the Massey Ferguson 231 tractor. The last time the bezel was propped on a rock.

Why use a tractor? Why not? Trucks, suvs and cars are common. Let's do something different.

Conclusion

The ThruNite TN12 and the Thrunite Archer are some tough lights.

I do not know what else to say. They took everything I threw at them and they kept on working.

Official Website: (5% OFF Coupon Code:THRUNITE , limited time!) http://www.thrunite.com
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/thrunite
Amazon CA: http://www.amazon.ca/shops/A1BNV2EQ2FFXQR
Amazon DE.:http://amazon.de/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1
Amazon UK.:http://amazon.co.uk/shops/A2DUUB2J3TY3X1

Attachments

·
Only politics *****.
5,686 Posts
Torturetests are useless imo. If it gets through everything, fine. If it doesn't get through everything, sure, what do you expect if you abuse something beyond what's it meant to use. Either way, in one case you learned that it'll work though normal use (because why would you ever want to tie a flashlight to something to use as a hammer ...). In the other case you just proven that something might just as well be great for normal use, but it won't survive a nuke. If you want to break something, you'll find how to do it. Torture tests are just that: wanting to break something and say it's not living up to "standards".

Maybe you can shoot at it 5 times, with different rifles. Is it bulletproof? ...

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thrunite Archer flashlight review

Torturetests are useless imo. If it gets through everything, fine. If it doesn't get through everything, sure, what do you expect if you abuse something beyond what's it meant to use.

Maybe you can shoot at it 5 times, with different rifles. Is it bulletproof? ...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I feel the battery of test simulates hardships the flashlight may experience in the real world.

Dropping the flashlight on a hard surface - hammer test.

Flashlight falling out of a moving vehicle.

Falls on ground and is ran over by vehicle - tractor test.

Freeze test - taking the light outdoors in cold weather. Chances are the weather here will never get -12.

Several years ago I was on a hunting trip. Was walking to the stand (aka blind) before dawn, and the flashlight stopped working. There I was in pitch black darkness, last day of deer season and and could not find my way to the stand. I sat down and waited for daylight.

If the light can drive nails then it will keep working when I drop it or mount it on a rifle. I feel the jarring action of being pulled down the road and driving nails is comparable to being mounted on a weapon.

If I want to mount the flashlight in my AR or shotgun I know it has been run through a battery of test. Right now I have a surefire on my AR-15. I am thinking about replacing it with a Thrunite.

·
Only politics *****.
5,686 Posts
The freeze test is the only one i can actually get behind, that's a very realistic scenario. The rest, dunno.
I've seen "tests" of Mora knives where they hammer the knife into a log with another log, then start whacking it from every direction for 5 minutes, followed by: "I had expected better, the knife shouldn't break like this, it's crap!". That's the moment where i just decided: ok, you wanna break something, you will break it. It's not a test ;). I have a small light which will never drive a nail, it's also just so light and small that falling will not break it. I trust on that light most of all (well, use it most of all, since it's on my keychain), and have plenty of faith in it. Would it survive a torture test: no. Is it useable in real conditions and will it survive real conditions and keep working: no problem.

On the plus side, if it comes through everything, it really is tough. I'll admit that. I just find it's not any benchmark for a realistic scenario ;).

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen "tests" of Mora knives where they hammer the knife into a log with another log, then start whacking it from every direction for 5 minutes, followed by: "I had expected better, the knife shouldn't break like this, it's crap!". That's the moment where i just decided: ok, you wanna break something, you will break it. It's not a test ;).
I fully agree.

There is a difference between testing and abusing.

·
Average Joe
2,654 Posts
Just my thoughts, almost anything will survive getting run over by a tractor. The pressure in the tires is low enough that you could likely run over your own foot and not know much of a difference.

·
Smile..wait for the flash
1,453 Posts
Thanks Kev. I personally like tests like this. Was one done with some Colt 6920's that led to me getting that exact weapon.

I say keep testing it until it does break, just to see what it can take. If anything, just for fun. I love stuff that can go way beyond typical use (or abuse).

I have a Surefire E2D and love it, but too expensive to try and break. Unless surefire wants to send me one!!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just my thoughts, almost anything will survive getting run over by a tractor. The pressure in the tires is low enough that you could likely run over your own foot and not know much of a difference.
Have you seen the pmag reviews where an AR-15 magazine is ran over by a truck?

I thought why not do something like that, but with a tractor.

something different.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
This has been my EDC Flashlight for over one year now. Great little Flashlight!

I used to be a diehard Surefire guy (and still love Surefire) but I have been buying Thrunite flashlights and love them all!

My Surefire 6P was actually ran over by my friends truck several times after it fell out of my coat pocket and I thought it was lost for over a week. It now serves as my Nightstand flashlight.

My Duty Flashlight is a Thrunite TN12 and it is has taken a beating over the last 2+ years and still works great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts