Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Cool dude
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of folks talk about carrying weapons or improvising weapons for self defense, but an often overlooked weapon is the one you're standing on. The ground.

In an urban environment it's either solid concrete or rough bitumen and when combined with the natural force of gravity, becomes a potent weapon.

https://youtu.be/oP9X2PHIx3o
Seoi nage (shoulder throw)

Even if your attacker escapes injury from a throw, it leaves you in a dominant position with them on their back. Giving you time to follow up with strikes, ground techniques, restraint techniques, to face other attackers or flee.

Mastering the throwing arts like judo and Japanese jujitsu can take a lifetime, but if you only focus on a couple of throws you can become quite proficient in a short amount of time with a bit of practise.

Hicks Law teaches us that when somebody is faced with making a decision, the greater the number of potential choices, the longer it will take for him to make a choice. Therefore I recommend that people should have 2 throws well practised. One for when you have the momentum going forwards and one for when your opponent is pushing you back. This keeps things simple when deciding which technique to use.

Throws should be utilised at the earliest opportunity in a confrontation, but you need to be close to an attacker to make them happen. In hand to hand combat the danger area is the distance of a punch. If you're out of range of a punch they can't hit you, if you're so close that you're within hugging range, their punches lack knockout power. The trick is to close that distance as quickly as possible with a solid defense.

In a self defense scenario your opponent will most likely be closing the distance for you (trying to strike you) so instead of shelling up and retreating, shell up and move forward into him. I recommend Tony Blauers SPEAR technique (google it) or....

https://youtu.be/FAxVeMHY_Gs
Closing for a throw

Once you have closed the distance you need to immediately take control of your attacker and begin the throw. If you pause too long your attacker can either create distance and continue striking or worse, take you down to the concrete first.

If you maintain the momentum of your entry, forcing your attacker backwards an Osoto gari (large outer reap) is an ideal throw. It is often the first throw taught in judo and jujitsu and relatively easy to do. The theory is simple: force the attackers weight on to one leg and then kick that leg out from under him.

https://youtu.be/1JL1Hw7M3cU
Osoto gari (large outer reap)

If you close the distance and the attacker forces you backwards, as is often the case if he is swinging a punch, then a different throw is required. Harai goshi (sweeping hip throw) with a Koshi garuma (head wheel) is a favourite of mine as it is one of the most powerful throws and is effective even if your technique is off. It also starts with a headlock which is a natural bad habit of most amatures (myself included!).

https://youtu.be/0gzk4M3OA0U
Harai goshi (sweeping hip throw) /Koshi garuma (head wheel)

Power can be added to this throw by "side kicking" the throwing leg instead of sweeping with it.

Both throws will smash your attacker into the concrete and ideally leave you in a dominant position.

If you are new to throws then find some in depth videos on the above techniques and a friend to practice with. I have only included short videos in this post for brevity. Concentrate on foot placement with both throws, this is fundamental to making them work. I recommend doing it on a soft surface like mats or thick lawn. Knowing how to "side breakfall" will reduce the pain when your buddy throws you!

https://youtu.be/SISaUno7KTM
Side break fall

Anyone out there have a favourite throw?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally, I would avoid any throw that forces you to turn your back completely to your attacker. If you stuff up the throw you are in deep doodoo.

Osoto gari is a good one because you can drive em the whole way and really take the wind out of their sails.

I also like uchi mata, it's a powerful throw and you can recover position easily if you mess it up.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
A personal favorite is kind of a more aggressive Entering throw. Rather than twisting their arm so that they fall backwards,because I'm left handed I can feint with a jab while stepping in so that my right arm arm is across their neck and use my right thigh as a fulcrum against their left hip, then I force my arm to the right and they get dump on their back. Can only really be done effectively by a southpaw but is really fast and easy to do if you are.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I've had good results with O-goshi both on the mat and at work as well.

By far my favorite is Okuri Ashi Hari:

Everyone I know seems to have a favourite technique that for some reason is instinctive and fluid for them, and Ashi Hari is mine. Success rate is high and it's just so fluid and elegant. Very rewarding to have opponents go parallel t the ground.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Love my throws. Work well from a strike set up or a clinch. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had to use them, but I've got about 10 years total training in Japanese jujitsu with cross training in judo. judoinfo.com is a fantastic resource for throwing techniques.

·
Cool dude
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had good results with O-goshi both on the mat and at work as well.

By far my favorite is Okuri Ashi Hari:

Everyone I know seems to have a favourite technique that for some reason is instinctive and fluid for them, and Ashi Hari is mine. Success rate is high and it's just so fluid and elegant. Very rewarding to have opponents go parallel t the ground.
https://youtu.be/6eAfxC47yMk
Okuri ashi harai set up

·
Cool dude
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I would avoid any throw that forces you to turn your back completely to your attacker. If you stuff up the throw you are in deep doodoo.

Osoto gari is a good one because you can drive em the whole way and really take the wind out of their sails.

I also like uchi mata, it's a powerful throw and you can recover position easily if you mess it up.
https://youtu.be/grz2X63WGe0
Uchi mata set ups

·
Cool dude
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A personal favorite is kind of a more aggressive Entering throw. Rather than twisting their arm so that they fall backwards,because I'm left handed I can feint with a jab while stepping in so that my right arm arm is across their neck and use my right thigh as a fulcrum against their left hip, then I force my arm to the right and they get dump on their back. Can only really be done effectively by a southpaw but is really fast and easy to do if you are.
I've seen exactly what you're describing in an MMA fight, but can't find the clip yet. I'll keep looking.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Icelandic pants throw (GLIMA - back throw body drop)

My favorite throw I have actually gotten to use on the street:

Over Under throw
Takes skill and iron nuts to do the over under on the street. I don't think I'd be able to do it.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Takes skill and iron nuts to do the over under on the street. I don't think I'd be able to do it.
Keep in mind, I am not doing it on skilled people. Skilled vs unskilled, skilled person controls everything barring unforeseen circumstances.

I use more strength than sacrifice, if that make sense.

·
Officer Friendly
1,157 Posts
I've used a standard hip throw on the job a few times over the years when someone wanted to fight. I was never a fan of throwing punches at disorderly drunks, so I learned a few simple throws, joint locks and some basic ground fighting.

Be careful though because if you don't know how to fall, you can get badly injured.

One guy I used the hip throw on was about 250 pounds and he hit pretty hard. I tried to slow his fall, but since he was so big, i thought it was gonna be more difficult to throw him than it actually was . I went in for the throw pretty hard and wound up knocking him out when he hit the pavement.

The guy wound up being ok thankfully, but from then on, I would hold onto the drunks as they went over so they didn't hit as hard.

The point is to get them on the ground. An untrained fighter can't hurt you if you know what you are doing and get the dominant position

1 - 20 of 52 Posts