Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking in a cold steel catalog and saw the sure strike throwing star how do you think this would fare as a distractive weapon to by a few seconds for escape

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,274 Posts
depends on what yer trying to escape from....

say a bear.... unless yer Nolan Ryan with a throwing star... then prolly not... :D:

if its an attacker with a gun... this is good reference material for "Blade vs. gun confrontations...

:D:

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
Was looking in a cold steel catalog and saw the sure strike throwing star how do you think this would fare as a distractive weapon to by a few seconds for escape
If you are looking to "escape" just run. By the time you find, pull out and use the "ninja throwing stars" you could be in a cab already or the attacker would have already killed you. Don't waste your time with nonsense tricks that will get you hurt.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I think its right up there with some of my friends 14th lvl Dwarfs. Only does any damage on the computer unless you spend so much time on it to be practical. At that stage just learn a martial art or get a good sidearm. I prefer both.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Rocks or pepper spray would be a better distraction device. I may be wrong here but I believe the original throwing stars were laced with poison, something I would highly recommend not doing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
shuraken (aka ninja stars) are damn effective, these simple villagers turned assasins threw these to destract the samuri (some of the most highly trained warriors of anytime). So yeah i have them and use them in training its easier to use then a throwing knife and cheaper to replace.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
shuraken (aka ninja stars) are damn effective, these simple villagers turned assasins threw these to destract the samuri (some of the most highly trained warriors of anytime). So yeah i have them and use them in training its easier to use then a throwing knife and cheaper to replace.
LOL :rolleyes:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
Are you frigging kidding? Might as well get an "assault slingshot" while you are at it! This isn't 4th century japan, get a gun. Nothing will "distract" him as well as his lung collapsing.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I outgrew ninja stars when I was like, 11. :thumb:

They're actually fun to mess around with, but realistically considering them as a weapon is dumb. They're too light to penetrate much of anything, and the least little imperfection in the shape or even your throw will make them curve through the air like a boomerang, making them very inaccurate. If you really want to throw a blade, get a heavy throwing knife, but you'd have to practice a ton.

That being said... believe it or not, Kentucky considers them a deadly weapon. Get caught with one on you without a CCDW license and you'd get in deep trouble. Somebody in the government watched too many ninja movies. :rolleyes:

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm#faq

""What weapons are covered under the CCDW license?"

Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
Billy, nightstick, or club.
Blackjack or slapjack.
Nunchaku karate sticks.
Shiriken or death star.
Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

·
Registered
388 Posts
http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm#faq

""What weapons are covered under the CCDW license?"

Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
Billy, nightstick, or club.
Blackjack or slapjack.
Nunchaku karate sticks.
Shiriken or death star.
Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.
THIS is an illegal carry?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like how im a new member and i say one thing on my 2nd thread and some ass has to pop up. if you people don want new members dont let them join, how much training do u have "the saint"? ever use a ninja star? i have and i gave my opinion on it so back up. if you want to go harass some one go find some 13yr on myspace.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
I like how im a new member and i say one thing on my 2nd thread and some ass has to pop up. if you people don want new members dont let them join, how much training do u have "the saint"? ever use a ninja star? i have and i gave my opinion on it so back up. if you want to go harass some one go find some 13yr on myspace.
I had to go back and check what I said LOL quit your whining, everyone on this thread is laughting at the mall nija's on here. And if your 13 that explains alot.

Reactions: METALHEAD1

·
Registered
807 Posts
haha - well, words flying, boo hoo

Anyhow, I did make some heavy duty 5-point stars out of 3/16 stock and practice with them (thirty years ago). They would embed quite deeply in plywood, zip right through cardboard shipping boxes. But the only place on the body vulnerable to un-poisoned stars is throat and eyes. Anywhere else would be ineffective except in deterring someone who was not too excited about killing you in the first place.

Pain as a deterrent can not be relied on, there has to be structural damage.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I saw one used against a knife wielding kid years ago. Funny thing, Player 1 with star faked an overhand throw, bringing star to left side of body. Player 2 with knife blinked and ducked. Player 1 then closed the gap, and kept the star in his hand while doing a backfist to the punks temple, cutting his face. Fight over. Not exactly by the book, but this was a street fight. Good show.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts