Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1218 Posts

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
I tend to frequent Thrift Stores a couple of times a week.

You never know what you'll find, and at a pretty good price. I did a search of this topic and found one hadn't been done. (If so I apologize).

I for one like to explore and "hunt" for stuff that others think is junk and I don't want to compete with the daily prep/today thread. I think Thrift Stores are a great way for folks both experienced as well as new to prepping get some great stuff at a great price and I think alot of people tend to overlook these potential goldmines of survival/prep stuff. Who knows, if this takes maybe this'll get "sticky" status.

Post your prep/gear finds below. The only request is that your post has to have been found at either a not for profit (Salvation Army, etc.) or private (for profit) Thrift Store.

Here are a few of my finds in the past few weeks:

1950's Era Coleman Gasoline Burner/Stove
$3.90

Alice Pack Frame with Woodland shoulder straps and kidney belt, and Medium Flying Top Bags black canvas bag/backpack that is ALICE convertable in like new condition.
$7.00 (I already had the tan butt pack, molle aircrew knife holder, molle grenade pouches, aircrew SDU-5 light and pouch, USGI flashlight and ALICE holder and an East German Rain Patterned Holster for my PPK/S).

I've also found an electric Makita Sawz-All in the old style metal case with new blades and in good condition for $10.00

Lets post those finds Preppers!

All my best,

AB

·
reluctant sinner
17,545 Posts
Good score. I have that exact stove but mine was free. In case yours doesn't work well, feed it a little gas carb/injector cleaner in the fuel and let run full open for the full tank. Parts are hard to come by for these great little units. Does it the wrench?

·
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll tell ya, I didnt know what I was missing by not having an ALICE pack. I was using a 3 Day MARPAT Condor bag, just didnt feel right on my lower back, even after "thinning" out some gear. This ALICE...feels oh_so_nice.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I picked up a dining room table with 3 leafs that can seat from 4 to 8 for 100, also got a full size oak bed frame with head and foot boards for 45.00. Found a brand new still with tag fishing vest for 5.00. assorted cutlery and pots, pans, cheapo coffee maker for camping all for 15.00. Though I still take my french press for the coffee.

·
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snagged a pair of Propper OD Green BDU trousers (with tags still on them) for $3.00 and a pair of USMC Desert Marpat trousers in great shape for $3.99.

(The Thrift Store I bought them at this morning has a 25% discount off all items on Monday).

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,677 Posts
I hit thrift stores somewhat regularly. But I rarely find any real prep items. Occasionally I'll find an old Swingaway can opener or something. It's fun going and sometimes I find a deal on something I want, but good prep finds seem few and far between here. Same with garage sales. Though I still check them out occasionally too.\

I always love to see other folks finds though. It keeps me hoping! And I'm happy for them.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yesterday on the way home I saw 2 pressure cookers in the front of an antique store. I flipped around and checked them out. Both had $5 stickers on them. Both had the adjustable weights and gauges, but both were missing seals. I whipped out my Android and punched in the make and model to find out that seals were still available.

WooHoo! Two 8 quart pressure cookers for $10. Oh and they both had the baskets still.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,677 Posts
Yesterday on the way home I saw 2 pressure cookers in the front of an antique store. I flipped around and checked them out. Both had $5 stickers on them. Both had the adjustable weights and gauges, but both were missing seals. I whipped out my Android and punched in the make and model to find out that seals were still available.

WooHoo! Two 8 quart pressure cookers for $10. Oh and they both had the baskets still.
I see pressure cookers occasionally. Which brings up a point. I paid full price for mine because, like many, I thought the world was going to end tomorrow. It didn't. If people will be patient and keep their eyes open, they can get prepped for a lot less money than if they run out and buy everything they think they need, right away. I overspent in a big way, on many things that I could have bought just a short while later for much less.

·
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 1218 Posts