Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The potatoes were planted March 1st. Here we are three weeks later and the potatoes are starting to break through the soil.

This is one of my favorite times after planting, is seeing the first sprouts break through the soil.

When the cuttings were planted, they were not planted in a mound. The mound will be made as the plant grows.

The next step is to let the plant get maybe 6 inches tall, spread some fertilizer along the the row, then use a rake the pull dirt up around the plant.

we want to use a balanced fertilizer, such as 13-13-13, or 10-20-10, and some bone meal.

Do not use a nitrogen rich fertilizer as the potato top will grow but no tubers will grow.

If you did not see the original potato planting video, here it is.

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Thanks for the video. I've never raised potatoes and find the "actual event" videos quite informative.

Also, love those Tater Hounds!

I assume they'll be in future potato videos. :D:

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Looks like you might want to add some compost or mulch to raise the organic content. That's some pretty sandy soil.

Give those chickens a big pile of lawn waste to dig around in - they'll get it ready for the garden.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Planted mine the last week of Feb, found the first one breaking the ground last night. ( I live about 100 miles north of Kev, and it been colder here)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts