Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Not exactly a new phenomena. Woodstock went from a small outdoor festival to a massive fuster cluck because rumors flew like lightning it was a free, open to all gathering instead of a ticket only event. And because the callow, selfish hippies who flocked to the event weren't about to allow rules or the fact that they'd been misinformed get in the way of them having a good time. As information distribution technology becomes ever faster and comprehensive, stuff like this will happen more and more. Heck, look at this board The amount of disinformation out there and here, like Obama being born in Kenya, or martial law being mere seconds away, is staggering.

Take everything with a grain of salt. And verify before believing.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think the part that caught my attention was that thousands lined up for food. ah well, that free thing, shoulda figured lots of people who would not qualify would show up even if they had loaded their shelves loaded with goods... that greed thing. I guess my first concern was they were all in need (silly me!)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
People will line up for anything they think is free. I remember Denny's giving away free meals a few months back. There was no way a paying customer could get in there to eat that day. They were willing to stand in line for 2 hours for a free $5 meal. That doesn't seem worth it to me, but it was "free".

·
Registered
198 Posts
People will line up for anything they think is free. I remember Denny's giving away free meals a few months back. There was no way a paying customer could get in there to eat that day. They were willing to stand in line for 2 hours for a free $5 meal. That doesn't seem worth it to me, but it was "free".
Exactly. There are people out there who would stand in line for a "free" bag of poop!:D:

·
The Odd Wanderer
58 Posts
Moe's (burrito place) did that here. I actually went twice with a different person each time (I was very broke and it was my day off so I didn't have anything else to do.)

Probably wouldn't do it now, but now i work 70 hours a week and don't have time for it.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Woodstock went from a small outdoor festival to a massive fuster cluck because rumors flew like lightning it was a free, open to all gathering instead of a ticket only event. And because the callow, selfish hippies who flocked to the event weren't about to allow rules or the fact that they'd been misinformed get in the way of them having a good time.
Callow, selfish, hippies.... not as callow and selfish as the current generation. Those hippies were also far less violent and far less destructive than current event attendees.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
"people turned away angry and disappointed". Wow, apparently the beggars became choosers. I wonder how many of those people were really hungry and how many were lured by words "free stuff".

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
I was amazed at the number of people willing to dress like cows to get a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. Some people that I had previously considered to be rational individuals, even. Blows my mind what people will do for free stuff. I like free stuff as much as the next person but stand in line for 2 hours for a $5 meal? No. Dress like a cow? No.

Heck, people were willing to kill a man to get a cheap VCR at Wal-Mart. It makes you realize how low some people's value systems are.

I try hard to look for the good in my fellow human beings but some days it is pretty tough to find.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was amazed at the number of people willing to dress like cows to get a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. Some people that I had previously considered to be rational individuals, even. Blows my mind what people will do for free stuff. I like free stuff as much as the next person but stand in line for 2 hours for a $5 meal? No. Dress like a cow? No.

Heck, people were willing to kill a man to get a cheap VCR at Wal-Mart. It makes you realize how low some people's value systems are.

I try hard to look for the good in my fellow human beings but some days it is pretty tough to find.
Look, if i have nothing to do, i'll stand in a line dressed like a cow not just for some free food, but also for the story. Imagine that conversation, "You can never commit to anything!!!" "what are you talking about, i commited to that line dressed like a damn cow."

·
68,758 Posts
Every current generation: The whipping boy of every past generation...
That's because every current generation is worse than the one before it. It's part of the decline of society. It's been going on a long time, but in recent decades has really gotten bad.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
That's because every current generation is worse than the one before it. It's part of the decline of society. It's been going on a long time, but in recent decades has really gotten bad.
Really have to disagree with you on that. There is simply no real evidence of that. It just seems that people 20 years older always seem to forget that they were once young and stupid.

·
68,758 Posts
Really have to disagree with you on that. There is simply no real evidence of that. It just seems that people 20 years older always seem to forget that they were once young and stupid.
I remember being young and stupid. I look at what we did back then and compare it to today's "young and stupid". I look back at my father's generation when he was young and stupid. There are differences and it's getting worse. Especially when it comes to morals and values. I didn't think it could get any worse than my generation, but it did.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I remember being young and stupid. I look at what we did back then and compare it to today's "young and stupid". I look back at my father's generation when he was young and stupid. There are differences and it's getting worse. Especially when it comes to morals and values. I didn't think it could get any worse than my generation, but it did.
I think MikeK really summed it up, I did some crazy things in my youth but compared to today's generation they seem pretty tame

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.