Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Just curious as to everyones opinion of my kit. It's not quite and inch and not quite a BOB. It's intent is for urban survival or nomadic travel from community to community. I just want to see what other preppers think of it, just so that I can make any improvements. In open to critique, so fire away!
Inside I have.
A hat, pants, long sleeve thin sweater, carhartt rubber gloves, a belt, a small sewing kit, a Schrade multitool, a pull through sharpener, a 5" pocket knife, a magnesium firestarter, a pill bottle with 16 aspirin and 4 Tylenol, a can opener, 120 feet of yellow nylon twine, 150 22 rounds (50 are target, 100 hollow), a compass, a field guide, a notepad and pen, 50 foot climbing line, 16x32 binoculars, a tiny first aid kit for scrapes, 2 tampons (for bullet wounds or punctures) Zippo fluid, spare flings, bug repellant (this was a must) a candle, a baggie of blended matchsticks, cotton, and sawdust, 120 matches (50ish are waterproof) a wind up radio/flashlight, ear buds, a 22 revolver with holster, a fanny pack, and a backpack with lumbar and chest belts.
Not pictured: Zippo lighter, full kit of lockpicks (they are real and work amazing) a Winchester bowie with a 10(?) Inch blade and a tanto style hunting knife with a saw back also about 10 inches, and finally a camelbak 2 liter pack that fits into the backpack nicely.
I'm also considering getting a Remington 700 in 30.06 with a weaver scope and some ammo for it (fmj and hollow mix) but thats an afterthought. So, opinions? Did I miss anything? Anything unneeded? I know we all have different conditions and disasters in mind, but options are options!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey all! Just curious as to everyones opinion of my kit. It's not quite and inch and not quite a BOB. It's intent is for urban survival or nomadic travel from community to community. I just want to see what other preppers think of it, just so that I can make any improvements. In open to critique, so fire away!
Inside I have.
A hat, pants, long sleeve thin sweater, carhartt rubber gloves, a belt, a small sewing kit, a Schrade multitool, a pull through sharpener, a 5" pocket knife, a magnesium firestarter, a pill bottle with 16 aspirin and 4 Tylenol, a can opener, 120 feet of yellow nylon twine, 150 22 rounds (50 are target, 100 hollow), a compass, a field guide, a notepad and pen, 50 foot climbing line, 16x32 binoculars, a tiny first aid kit for scrapes, 2 tampons (for bullet wounds or punctures) Zippo fluid, spare flings, bug repellant (this was a must) a candle, a baggie of blended matchsticks, cotton, and sawdust, 120 matches (50ish are waterproof) a wind up radio/flashlight, ear buds, a 22 revolver with holster, a fanny pack, and a backpack with lumbar and chest belts.
Not pictured: Zippo lighter, full kit of lockpicks (they are real and work amazing) a Winchester bowie with a 10(?) Inch blade and a tanto style hunting knife with a saw back also about 10 inches, and finally a camelbak 2 liter pack that fits into the backpack nicely.
I'm also considering getting a Remington 700 in 30.06 with a weaver scope and some ammo for it (fmj and hollow mix) but thats an afterthought. So, opinions? Did I miss anything? Anything unneeded? I know we all have different conditions and disasters in mind, but options are options!
You said to be open for differing opinions.
Why not use a friends smartphone for better picture quality?
This kit seems more a kit for a post-apocalyptic warrior than for disaster-preparedness.
If your neighborhood is that criminal, you better move to a safer environment IMO.
Why climbing line?
Why so many knives?
Why guns?
Why so much ammo?
Why no spare pen and pencil?
Why binoculars?
Why no food, water and arctic-clothing to sleep in? (If you must sleep in a city-park, you should be able to flee fast, if necessary, which is hard in a sleeping-bag. Hence the arctic-clothing.)
Why a heavy can of Zippo fluid, instead of a Bic-lighter?
Why the burglary tools? Burglary is immoral and illegal.
If you bring enough money and food, there is less reason to steal.
If everybody would carry more weapons and burglary-tools than food and clothing during a disaster, that woud not help to prevent looting and violence IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my reasoning being that in my 'ideal' scenario, it involves a degree of social anarchy. Not mad max anarchy, but anarchy nonetheless. So my approach is almost completely stealth oriented, which is why the ropes, picks and such. It would involves getting into abandoned buildings without shattering a window or just kicking the door down. The knives and guns are for more of a hunting in the countryside while travelling and defence. I mean, I would rather another person see me with a gun and be wary than without and see me as easy loot. I do see your point on the Bic however. I suppose I just like the 'windproof' aspect of it, and the fact that you can actually replace the wick with twine, cotton with, well, cotton, and use kerosene as fluid, rather than the lighter running low and having to go loot a shop (which would require these 'criminal' devices.
Not trying to argue, just rebutting and debating

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
505 Posts
Also, as I said in my post just now, it is geared toward a more 'shtf' than a flood or tornado. The area where I live is a metropolis, but hasn't ever flooded or had any sort of disaster. I know that in a hurricane I would be screwed, but I dont see any hurricanes in the midwest any time soon, haha
The emergency-kits that are recommended by Red Cross and FEMA are meant for all kinds of energencies. Suppose that Minneapolis had to be evacuated for some reason, and every citizen would have exactly your kit, with more weapons than food and clothing, then the result would be grim. So what type of emergency-kit would you recommend to your citizens if you were president?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The emergency-kits that are recommended by Red Cross and FEMA are meant for all kinds of energencies. Suppose that New York-city had to be evacuated for some reason, and every citizen would have exactly your kit, with more weapons than food and clothing, then the result would be grim.
This is true. I should stock on medical gear. But I also want to keep the I'm not coming home' setup too. Regardless of the probablility of a tornado to the impossibility of a meteor, I have the plan of 'pick a direction, walk, and try not to die too quickly'

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
This is true. I should stock on medical gear. But I also want to keep the I'm not coming home' setup too. Regardless of the probablility of a tornado to the impossibility of a meteor, I have the plan of 'pick a direction, walk, and try not to die too quickly'
Put some medical gear in, you're gonna need it. It doesn't take much space for a small comprehensive kit. I've got mine in a ziploc freezer bag (sandwich size) for my GHB.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put some medical gear in, you're gonna need it. It doesn't take much space for a small comprehensive kit. I've got mine in a ziploc freezer bag (sandwich size) for my GHB.
I will. I live withing walking distance of a pretty major medical distributer and they are open to the public, so next check I may go down and get some wraps and coagulant and such. I have noticed in sports and hiking and all sorts of activities that people bring 1st aid on, that a good 80 percemt of what they bring is pointless. So, ill make my own! Plus, it'll be fun, and I know what I'm planning to do, so I know how I'm likely to be hurt. Ace wraps and burn jel aplenty, haha

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, my reasoning being that in my 'ideal' scenario, it involves a degree of social anarchy. Not mad max anarchy, but anarchy nonetheless. So my approach is almost completely stealth oriented, which is why the ropes, picks and such. It would involves getting into abandoned buildings without shattering a window or just kicking the door down. The knives and guns are for more of a hunting in the countryside while travelling and defence. I mean, I would rather another person see me with a gun and be wary than without and see me as easy loot.
One could anticipate war-zone-anarchy instead of aspiring to responsible emergency-preparedness and citizen-participation. If every citizen of a community would cherish that anarchy expectation, it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. There are so many countries that are terribly suffering from wars and poverty, as a result of that mentality.

A community can only be safe and healthy in the long run, if its citizens feel responsible for the whole community, and are willing to support the weaker members, especially in times of hardship.

Japan is a good example of responsible emergency-preparedness by citizen-education, training and equipment. That worked well in the Japanese Fukushima disaster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One could anticipate war-zone-anarchy instead of aspiring to responsible emergency-preparedness and citizen-participation. But if every citizen of a community would cherish that anarchy expectation, it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. There are so many countries that are terribly suffering from wars and poverty, as a result of that.

A community can only be safe and healthy in the long run, if its citizens feel responsible for the whole community, and are willing to support the weaker members, especially in case of emergencies.

Japan is a good example of responsible emergency-preparedness by citizen-education, training and equipment. That worked well in the Japanese Fukushima disaster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami
I agree 100 percent. The goodness of man can withstand any disaster. But as it stands, I'm already prepared for that I have a well, and a garden, and plenty of things to contribute. But we dont make these bags to donate food, we make them in case our neighbor turns on us. As always, expect the best and prepare for the worst

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree 100 percent. The goodness of man can withstand any disaster. But as it stands, I'm already prepared for that I have a well, and a garden, and plenty of things to contribute. But we dont make these bags to donate food, we make them in case our neighbor turns on us. As always, expect the best and prepare for the worst
I try to avoid to climb the moral high-ground. I understand your reasoning. And I am glad to hear that you can contribute to your community.

I would be happy to help children and older people with my bug-out-bag and medical and survival-skills, if I could. History has shown that people are often great help to each other in disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_disasters

If I could only survive by killing and robbing innocent and vulnerable people, I might live longer, but I would regret that during the rest of my life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It gets linty inside that holster? Enough to plug it?
Its an open bottom holster, but the bag does get linty. Plus, just general dust and such. I dont get to shoot it much because of work, so for the 3-4 weeks its packed up, I want it as safe as can be, you know?

·
In a rifted Pangea...
2,202 Posts
ah. The holster looked closed. Fair enough. :thumb:

I see the off- bug repellent.
Not sure if you're in a sunny region, but sunblock might be an idea too. Also, the bug repellent can be found in individual wipes. May cut down on weight, and can be used as tinder later.

and did I miss duct tape in that list? that's almost as important as underwear. :D: Gorilla tape has a nice small roll that I carry in every "kit" that I have.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No Toilet Paper!!! No way to clean/santiize your hands afterwards. So that's why you don't carry food. You're going to get the runs so bad.... [you might consider adding an anti-diahrra med to your first aid kit.]

Dump a couple of the sharp edged items. Figure on some sort of snare system. That's assuming there is anything left to catch.

No tarp? No rain gear? No change of undies? (Yes, I'm probably old enough to be your mother, but really do you know the fungus among us that can happen)? No SOAP?

How about some powder for your feet which can double as butt powder?

A SAWYER filter so you don't get the runs from a bad water source.

River or waterways around you? Some fish hooks, perhaps? Didn't see any safety pins -- your sewing kit might have a couple -- you'll want more. Multiple sizes.

A N95 type face mask [more than one, they are light weight] to help you deal with a city burning down, tear gas for riots, or some sort of air borne epidemic.

Is the twine capable of replacing shoe laces?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts