Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting a .22 pistol just for around the farm plinkin....

was thinking the ruger 22/45 or the s/w 22a.....

give me your thoughts.....:thumb:

thank you

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Have you checked out the Ruger Charger? It is classified as a pistol but it is really more of a mini rifle with removable bipod. It has a bull barrel without sights,so you will need to mount a scope.It uses standard 10/22 rotary mags and you can buy aftermarket 25-30rd mags as well. Awesome little plinker ,they price in at $275-$300.

Other quality .22 handguns: Browning Buckmark camper , Ruger Mark III, S&W 617 revolver w/ 10rd cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I have the Ruger Mark III 22/45 and have NEVER regretted it.

After many thousands of rounds, the only thing that has been funny with this pistol is that at he range this morning, after having been stored in sub zero temperatures overnight, it didn't like to feed more than two rounds at a time. In every other time I've brought it to the range, it has fed and fired flawlessly. I attribute this morning's weirdness to the fact that the workings of the pistol may have been sort of "condensed" due to the low temps. After the first two mags, it was functoning flawlessly, as it always does.

How accurate is the Mark III 22/45? Well, my eyesight is kind of crappy, and yet I can get 9 out of 10 shots onto a paper plate-sixed piece of paper at 25 yards. In other words, the pistol is MUCH more accurate that I am.

Tom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Get a ruger mk 2 if you can find one. They are still out there and not as politically correct as the mk 3. I also prefer the older mag release. My buddy had the 22/45 and he didn't like the balance. I would go with the ruger over any other .22 auto pistol regardless of price.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
S&W model 41 is the only one I would consider buying.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I have the Ruger Mark III 22/45 and have NEVER regretted it.

After many thousands of rounds, the only thing that has been funny with this pistol is that at he range this morning, after having been stored in sub zero temperatures overnight, it didn't like to feed more than two rounds at a time. In every other time I've brought it to the range, it has fed and fired flawlessly. I attribute this morning's weirdness to the fact that the workings of the pistol may have been sort of "condensed" due to the low temps. After the first two mags, it was functoning flawlessly, as it always does.

How accurate is the Mark III 22/45? Well, my eyesight is kind of crappy, and yet I can get 9 out of 10 shots onto a paper plate-sixed piece of paper at 25 yards. In other words, the pistol is MUCH more accurate that I am.

Tom.
Hippie, could you fire 500 rounds through your Mark III at once, without any problems? Seems like the ones I use at work get dirty quickly and won't function well.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I really like the Ruger Mk II's. As much as I do I decided on the Ruger Single Six convertable as it allows me to use just about any rim fire ammo out there in 22 caliber from CB caps to 22 Mag including the various shotshells. To me that vesitility at its best. While prehaps not the most accurate, its more accurate than I am capable of.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I have a MKI then I bought a MKIII 22/45. Overall I like the pistol.
The trigger has no slack in it ,all of my other guns do so my groups are not what they could be.
Field stripping what a mother-jammer getting it apart is not too bad but getting it back together!!!!! I think I have it figured out now so I am ok but for awhile I wanted to throw the thing.
Overall I would totally recomend it.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I would reccomend a Beretta Neos. My wife got one a few months ago as her first pistol. They make them in all different styles, and all have an accesory rail on top for lasers, scops, red dots etc. They are funky looking, but fit the hand great. We got the 4.5" barrel and put a cheap ret dot on it. It's a tack driver.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/spotlight_pistol_u22neos.cfm

Attachments

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts

thank you
I've been shooting .22 handguns a long time. In my 50 years or so of shooting I've had the opportunity to shoot lots of different models and have purchased/sold many. My favorite semi-auto is a Browning Buckmark followed closely by the Ruger 22/45 w/bull barrel. My all-time favorite is a Ruger Bearcat revolver. That being said, what's right for me may not be right for you. What fits, what feels good in your hands etc counts a lot more than the name on the frame or the money you spent on it.

The S&W 41 is a great target pistol. It did not work for me, whenever I found myself in a match I was shooting the Buckmark. The Smith just didn't feel right. My Ruger 22/45 pretty much matches the weight and balance of my 1911 .45. Any practice with the Ruger also helps my .45 skills. The Ruger is a royal PITA to strip and clean (actually the stripping part is pretty easy it's the reassembly that sucks) but even so, for me, is one of the better .22's I've owned.

I've shot the S&W 22A and was not overwhelmed with it. Frankly I don't remember much at all about the experience, meaning it was okay, but not memorable. Smith makes good guns too, so if that one fits you better, go for it.

Allan - OBTW the Bearcat just fits my small hand so good, feels so natural. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you plan to put a red dot or scope on it, the s/w 22a has a rail . In a ruger I prefer the mk II over the 22/45. It really depends on how much you want to spend, for the money,just to plink the s/w 22a.

·
Is it Quiting Time Yet?
37 Posts
I bought a Heritage 22 revolver last week new for $129. Now its a cowboy gun which is perfect for shooting rat shot through. I sure like it.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I do like the S&W brand however for a .22 pistol I'd go with the Ruger semi auto, Preferably a MK II.
Just my .02
Peter

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

thank you
I say go with the Ruger MKII because of the mission specific mods and great tear down ability.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you will not be dissapointed with the ruger. stay away from the S&W. Browning is an option, but I see no reason to get anything other than the ruger. It is hands down the best supressed .22 if you are in a supressor friendly state. I own a lot of guns and get more use and enjoyment from my supressed .22 pistols than any other firearm I own.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts