Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
might cause an attraction from the unwanted.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Gates won't really work for us, but I've considered stashing a few rolls of concertina wire in case things went to $h!t. I could at least limit approaches and accessability, and narrow fields of fire .:thumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Property Gate

I'm on 40 acres with pretty much a single point of entry. I recently put up a gate, as one poster stated, to keep the honest honest. The power company recently replaced a pole and I got the old one. I cut it up into posts. I used four posts, two on either side. I connected each pair with three wooden 1 x 6's. The pairs were 18' apart. I welded up two 9' swinging gates. I made them out of 1" ID steel pipe someone had pulled from their well. I padlock them randomly (so folks will have to guess if I'm home or not) and when I'm away from home.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Stopped raising turkeys & chickens 9 years ago due to human predation; signs and locks meant nothing, what they couldn't carry any longer would be left on the ground... None of my livestock was visable from the road either...

This would occur while I was at work. Now considering critters again and think the new "game cameras" if carefully hidden might help identify the theives but then they might take the camera too!

I've heard there are battery powered remote video cameras but I would have to locate them high enough to not be stolen and replacing batteries would be a chore & expense.

It is a shame that so many people are theives while honest hard-working folks are victims.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We have a gate at the front entrance to the valley. It looks like the business gate and most people would not think the road would go any further than the business. If there wasn't this concealment I don't know that we would put up a gate just because it would bring in the curious to see what was on the other side.

blt

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I've had quite a bit of experience with gates and trespassers. I used to run a hunting lease of 3300 acres with tons of entry points and a lot of land to go around the gates.

If you want to have a "no chit" tough gate to bring down, you must consider these things:

1) Only use metal poles
2) Never use chain
3) Make sure that you "berm" and "trench" around the gate
4) Make sure that you lock isn't exposed (put it in a box where it is difficult to cut it off)
5) If you can, weld a connecting bar from one post to the other post (underground)
6) "Dovetail" your holes and then fill with concrete

Good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts