Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a CZ58 or a CZ858 as they are called here in Canada. I have 2 sks rifles and I have used a friends AK a couple of times, I liked both these rifles but so far I feel that cz is superior in everyway. Awesome rifle and I would recomend it to anyone. Anyone else have any experiance or opinion on the cz.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It is a very nice weapon. I have shot an original in Houston once. The owner got it out of Lebanon and has papers on it. I would love to own on but will stick with the AK as my main line weapon due to parts availability. If they don't ban them in the next few months I may buy one myself. Shoot like most Czech weapons, very well.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I looked at kits a year ago when I think centerfiresytems.com had them for like 49 bucks but the receivers where way to high to do that project. I like the looks and have heard good things on them. I see the full rifles retail at 750-1000. I would like to have one but none of the mags will work with an AK.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Love mine.

The Canadian ones have a flaw that is experienced in 99% of the rifles. It is a failure to cock the trigger occasionally. That flaw has been addressed in the US rifles with a tab welded to the bolt carrier. See attached picture.

If you can weld, you can do this fix yourself. I can give you the details if you are interested.

They are excellent rifles. Light, small, and accurate as hell.

Here is a target I shot with mine last weekend, at 200 yards, with iron sights, from a standing position.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a CZ 858 with a folding stock and synthetic furniture, etc. Incredible rifle. I wish I had another one!!! Very reliable. Very accurate - It can consistently bounce a coffee can at 300 yards. Milled receiver yet one pound lighter than an AK. Tons of stuff around Canada to dress them up with. Cheap ammo ... what else could a guy ask for?

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
Excellent choice! Congratulations!

I have about 300 - 400 rounds through mine. No problems, no failure to cock, I love it. I am looking to maybe strip the grey enamel off it and parkerize it. What do you guys think?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
looks good the way it is. I checked one out saturday at collectors firearms. didnt care for the top ejection. no particular reason. just asthetics.

·
in a land of confusion
1,149 Posts
owning both (but not having used my VZ2008 extensively yet), I would say the stock sks simply because of the longer site radius, as far as the mechanism goes, They should both have similar potential with equal optics.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I've never personally fired nor handled a VZ58. Knowing of the Czech reputaion for excellence in manufacture and design of weapons however, I have no doubt that it's one more of their fine success stories. I own several VZ24's and a CZ82..........all of which I'm very happy with.

The only caveat I'd offer is (as mentioned already) that parts and mags may not be readily available on the market, and that would relegate the rifle to second-line duty for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CZECH 5-8 is the best. We kept one in our tool box on our tank during the Bosnian conflict. We hunted with it.(food) and it was a good weapon when your crawling in and out of hatches. I only used it out to 250m in a conflict situation but that's all we needed it for.The 50 could handle the rest.It lay in our toolbox wet and covered with pine needles and dirt on top of the expandable wrenches. If we were rigging and needed a weapon it was always there,always reliable.....a true and trusted friend.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I just got 2 of the CAI vz2008 versions. Only took them shooting once at an indoor range but they functioned flawlessly, about 60 rounds each.

·
Knock,Knock... Candy Gram
61 Posts
I own a couple of the vz 2008's. I did a lot of research before getting these and they are GREAT!! Compact and solidly built. Best of all I got them from J&G for $350 each!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts