Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting beer tonight and talking to the guy at the store and we talked about how he had gotten laid off and took this job to make a little money.
I don't want to come off sounding like I am elitist or anything, but it got me to thinking about when I was growing up...clear up until 2003 or so when the textile bust really hit my home state of NC and we had an economic meltdown.
Growing up, I always looked at middle aged men working in retail as someone who had made some mistakes in life...didn't study in school, maybe had a felony conviction...something along those lines. I always thought men went into the trades, or went to college, or military...and realistically this was the reality, men did go into that.
My dad got laid off the final time in 2005 and I saw him looking for job after job, a very qualified machinist, and manager, who got so desperate after long enough that he was willing to work at a gas station, be a greeter at wal mart, just anything to make some money.
Now, I am coming to terms with it. I have a MS in management and an MBA, facing getting laid off in the next couple months, no good prospects show up on the job searches.
Next time you go to buy a six pack, remember that guy behind the counter. He may have followed all the rules, did everything he is supposed to do, but still can't find meaningful work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't get discouraged! You have an MBA, so change your mindset. There is money to be made by someone in ANY economy - even a crappy economy. Decide that someone will be you! There are businesses you can start with little overhead.
My sister has a booming online business. She manufactures dog clothing, of all things, and ships internationally.

I make cinnamon rolls for local businesses. They are good rolls, so until my customers all die of clogged arteries, I can make money, lol.

What do you LIKE to do? Find a way to market it and go for it! With an MBA, you should be a lot more successful than my family members, and we are paying the bills.

My dad has his own business, too. He's working 16 hours a day because it's going TOO good. That just might happen to you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
By the way, we have gone through pretty hard times at our house this year. We're just starting to come out of it now.

My husband doesn't make near what he did at his old job, BUT he is working a lot of overtime now. I am using my skills to make money, too.

My whole point is, don't give up! I wish I had gotten an MBA. I think it will serve you well if you are determined and keep your chin up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Try not to get too discouraged. I have been laid off twice in the past fortunately for only a few months each time and both times I was able to find better, higher paying jobs. My current job which I really enjoy and pays well I received after a layoff so sometimes a layoff can be an opportunity for something better even though it may not seem like it at the time. Good luck to you.

·
Survivalist
3,242 Posts
When I was young I never imagined myself as an adult working in a grocery store.

However several years ago with a small commercial location we owned my wife and I decided to open a small Mom & Pop grocery store. This was a way for us to have a huge stock pile of food that was hidden in plain site and regularly rotated to keep fresh.

All these years later it was one of the best decisions we ever made as we have thousands of dollars worth of merchandise stored, we both earn a decent living off the small store, and we both always have a job regardless of what is going on in the world around us. The eliminated stress, the fact we will never go hungry or worry about food, and the ability to help others we know and trust has been something you can never put a price tag on.

I will say though our situation is much different than working at a 7-11 as a clerk but the point I am making is I think many people need to have a different perspective in order to do better or survive out there.

Also our beer cooler is always full of cold beer! Cant beat that

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
That's such a nice change of viewpoint!

For too long people have been judged by their jobs, what they wear, where they went to school, what kind of car they have, where they go on holiday, where they live, what kind of stuff they own, how they look, what weight they are. These are horrible things to be judged on and in my opinion, very superficial.

I have a feeling that once we can see people for their way of being, we will have longer and more meaningful friendships and get along better as well.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
Contrary to what many of you on this board believe, Obama didn't single handedly create our economic system nor its pitfalls. This mess has been a long way in the making
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who actually believes that.

Clearly, Barack Obama didn't create this entire mess, he had help with people like Lyndon Baines Johnson who created the massive multi-Trillion dollar great society programs that have only created more dependency.

A Congress led by Barney Fwank who made it possible for people with 510 credit and a 30K a year job buy a $300K home.

George W. Bush who created a prescription drug program that wasn't paid for. Jimmy Carter who was completely clueless and on and on.

Today, taxpayers are paying for 41 million people to eat everyday. We are paying for college tuition and room and board, we are paying for millions in the free lunch programs.

In the 60's, 70's, 80' and 90's we celebrated union workers who went on strike for such things as "better food in the cafeteria" and more light's in the parking lot's and softer floor mats to stand on. We paid people 90K-100k to turn a bolt on cars in assembly lines that rusted out in two years.

We became a spoiled brat populace....now it's time to pay up for all the damages and the bad news is...We Are Broke!

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
It's great if you can get a job that pays well, and let's you use your talents and abilities well, and that you can enjoy. However it often happens that we don't always have that kind of job in our life.

I've seen job snobbery shown by those who really should know better, when I was growing up.

I try to impress upon my children, any honest job, done honestly, is honorable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Keep in mind, some people LIKE being in the service business. I've worked checking ID's and backing a bar for $10/hour recently and I earn six figures during the day. I wouldn't mind bagging groceries or pumping gas or whatever someday to stay busy. I'm definitely not too proud to sweep a floor. Nothing wrong with doing something that needs to be done because you enjoy it, regardless of the money.

I don't have words strong enough to describe my distaste for anyone who looks down on someone who is working, or treats them poorly because of the wage they earn. Who cares? They're a person. Treat them like you'd want to be treated.

·
optimistic pessimist
1,221 Posts
I volunteer with a youth organization whose aim is to mentor young men who may or may not have a male figure. I'm a woman but throw my support completely behind my boys and my male counterparts.

I have learned though the many years working in this organization that often the men who have the most to give are the men who have jobs that aren't very exciting. They are the bus drivers, the managers, the retired guys, the disabled, etc. They work to live and not live to work. These men and I keep our group of young men active. We volunteer often in our communities, raising money, trying to do good deeds while instilling in our ym the importance of an honest days work.

Since my own son has been little, I have told him repeatedly that the most important job that he will ever have is first, as a husband and later, as a father. Everything else is tertiary to these two things.

I never, ever, ever look down on anyone that I meet who has a job that seems menial. Part of that is due to working at a weave plant while in college. Many of the men/women who I worked with were solid individuals. They were good people who loved their spouses and loved their children.

The other thing I always try to do is to pump up friends who find themselves taking jobs that are below what they are use to. I remind them that they are great dads or moms and what an example they are sending to their kids by not giving up. A couple, even when laid off, were volunteering with their schools until something became available. It usually took them a few months but eventually, there was something available. One dear friend was a machinist who ended up as a janitor. I watched him age before my very eyes.

What ticks me off the most when something like that happens is how petty the spouses and children can be, especially to the men. Losing a job doesn't make you less of a man. Letting it take away your dignity does.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My husband used to run CNC mills at a large auto supplier.

Now, he drives a forklift.

BUT, he doesn't JUST drive the forklift. He does a stinkin' good job at work, to the point that he fills in for the shipping manager when he's on vacation now. He doesn't get paid more to work hard, but I think someday the management will notice and he might get a promotion if it comes up.

No matter what you do, do it well. That's an honorable thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.