Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught part of a news story about how the U.S.'s best days are behind us. Made me think about that and while part of me wants to argue it, another part of me thinks they were in a way correct. So if we are in that state, then what can we do to get back to being the superpower we once were?

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
48,595 Posts
Caught part of a news story about how the U.S.'s best days are behind us. Made me think about that and while part of me wants to argue it, another part of me thinks they were in a way correct. So if we are in that state, then what can we do to get back to being the superpower we once were?
Vote out the morons in office and replace them with honest costitution following people with a conscience.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
WE will never get back or prestiege in the world like we had when the world owed us now we owe the world. The greatness of the american people has been sold out to other countries by those theives and liars in our gov from the fed to the local. It was a great experiment gone wrong. And we can blame no one but ourselves While we were enjoying the good life we forgot to see who was really paying for it. TIME TO PAY THE PIPPER. JMO

·
Hunkerin' in the Bunker
360 Posts
I'm too young to remember the 50's, but from what my grandmother and older acquaintances say, I wish so badly that I lived back then. Families stuck together, kids called their fathers "sir", and people could leave their doors unlocked at night. Americans believed anything was possible. Boys wanted to grow up to be like John Wayne, and young ladies wanted to be like their mommy.

And let's not forget, it was the age that produced the great Jeff Cooper...

I find myself listening to "The Golden Age" By The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, and imagine what it would be like to live back then. What happened to us all? :(

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I'm too young to remember the 50's, but from what my grandmother and older acquaintances say, I wish so badly that I lived back then. Families stuck together, kids called their fathers "sir", and people could leave their doors unlocked at night. Americans believed anything was possible. Boys wanted to grow up to be like John Wayne, and young ladies wanted to be like their mommy.

And let's not forget, it was the age that produced the great Jeff Cooper...

I find myself listening to "The Golden Age" By The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, and imagine what it would be like to live back then. What happened to us all? :(

What happened was that we traded in our sense of community and caring for an empty relationship with tech, electronics, and machines.

The introduction of television sets drove the first big nail into the coffin. Families don't care about each other, when they spend every evening staring at a flickering TV screen across the room. This is still ongoing. A big percentage of the population knows EVERYTHING about American Idol, Jersey Shore, Dancing With The Stars, daily soap operas, the NFL, ESPN, Nascar, etc. But, they know almost nothing about their neighbors on the block they live on.

Then along came computers, the internet, cell phones, the I-pod, X-box, Play Station. Etc., etc., etc. We know all about "playing" with machines.

How many times have you seen a family walking thru a retail store......and the adults have their cell phones glued to their ear, the kids are absorbed in texting their pals......and NO ONE is paying any attention to anything human. They are, instead, focused on their addiction to their machines.

We were seduced by the siren song of constant entertainment. Bedazzled by the constant parade of NEW electronic wonders. But there was a price to be paid for all this. The electronic age cost us our sense of community and caring and our connection to nature, too. We gave that up without batting an eye. In return, we got nothing that is any more substantial than cotton candy at a circus.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts

Short answer is: we can't. That question is like someone throwing an egg onto the sidewalk, watching it break and splatter all over the concrete......and then asking: "Okay. How do I fix that??"

Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall.

Probably few things are sadder than to be living at the end of a golden age.......and that is just what we are doing.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts

Short answer is: we can't. That question is like someone throwing an egg onto the sidewalk, watching it break and splatter all over the concrete......and then asking: "Okay. How do I fix that??"

Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall.

Probably few things are sadder than to be living at the end of a golden age.......and that is just what we are doing.
Born in the middle 1940's and I also feel a deep sadness.

I also agree we can't go back again. What's done is done.

What I miss most is trust. I used to trust people: doctors, cops, even politicians but now I trust no one. Justice is gone these days and it's every man for himself.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
I think the glory days ended in the late 70s.... But we will always be a major world power, and we will stay the super power for quite some time.

It is sad for me to think i will never know the America of my dad and grandfather, and it makes me feel even worse knowing it will be "worse" for my kids.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
I thought the 80`s were pretty rad, but then I was just a kid.

Maybe this is what is was like to live in the Roman Empire toward the end. You know the Barbarians are at the gate, but you just pretend like you dont see them and go about your buisness.

·
Standing by to stand by
528 Posts
'Those days' will ALWAYS be the best days.

It is human nature to fret and complain about the situation they're in.

'They' will say the exact same thing 50 years from now about this era.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Vote out the morons in office and replace them with honest costitution following people with a conscience.
As I said in the Perfect Politician thread:

Anyone that wants to be in politics, shouldn't be in politics simply BECAUSE they want to be in politics.

Anyone that's actually good for the job would be smart enough not to take it.

·
Standing by to stand by
528 Posts
As I said in the Perfect Politician thread:

Anyone that wants to be in politics, shouldn't be in politics simply BECAUSE they want to be in politics.

Anyone that's actually good for the job would be smart enough not to take it.
Interesting post. It triggered a memory of when I was in college and taking some sort of humanities class. We were discussing a town or village somewhere in S America where it is one's DUTY to serve on the town council or whatever 'government' they had. It was almost like they got drafted to serve for a term or something like that. If I remember correctly, I believe those selected to serve were not paid or compensated, but were revered for 'doing their time'. Of course, people who were selected to serve would do so begrudgingly since it meant 4 years of really hard work to ensure they do the job right.

I know this model would never work here in America, but imagine Washington being full of people working 12+ hours a day and not getting paid to ensure that this country works as intended!

·
Angry White Man
553 Posts
Blaming the government also means that the government can somehow fix the problem. NO MORE GOVERNMENT FIXING OUR PROBLEMS!!! The reason America is so screwed up is simple to me. People stopped putting their neighbors considerations first and started acting like the world revolves around them. If you acted wrong years ago, you were held accountable by your neighbors. People looked out for each other. People had a higher sense of community and not communi-me. It's no big secret, be nice, help each other, and be considerate of others. This country needs a huge shot of humility and it's coming.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
I miss the days when you could die from the common cold, when electricity was for the rich, when a donkey was a luxury - you harnessed your kids to the plough...

I remember my youth fondly, but sometimes when I take the kids to a toy store I know I was born 40 years too soon.

·
Standing by to stand by
528 Posts
I miss the days when you could die from the common cold, when electricity was for the rich, when a donkey was a luxury - you harnessed your kids to the plough...

I remember my youth fondly, but sometimes when I take the kids to a toy store I know I was born 40 years too soon.
LoL.. You said it MUCH more eloquently than I did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts