Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks.
I am looking for holster recommendations for a concealable holster for a Smith and Wesson Shield or a Sig 229 that's going to be fairly comfortable for sitting at least 4 to 6 hours or so in an airplane seat, I routinely carry small of the back in a kydex holster concealed when I am off duty and open carry on duty but that just wont work for sitting long periods and where it must be concealed. So I would like your recommendations, I am also open to a discrete shoulder holster rig capable of carrying at least one spare mag and cuffs. Thanks for your input, Before you ask, Yes I am authorized.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,144 Posts
I like the 5.11 holster shirt for long drives. However, it's a little trade off due to slower accessibility.

Have you looked at ankle holsters? May make sense for cramped conditions. I don't wear one so can't speak to pros/cons or even brands.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The holster shirt sounds like a great idea but I have already discussed it with a FAM with 8 million miles under his belt and he stated accessibility for him was an issue and it wore out fairly quickly. Ankle holsters are out due to my clothing choices but Im going to purchase a couple of the holster shirts and test them, I wont be logging the miles he has.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
So OP is a US Marshal?

Don't know anyone else authorized to fly armed.

I had to throw mine in with the luggage and tag it.

Never mind that I'm probably more adept at, well, too early to throw jabs at LEO types.

:D:

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Op is NOT a US Marshal.
And no, The Marshal Service is not the only agency authorized to fly armed.
That is not what the post is about.

Just for your general knowledge.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

Flying Armed

To qualify to fly armed, unless otherwise authorized by TSA, federal regulation states that a law enforcement officer must meet all of the following requirements:

• Be a federal law enforcement officer or a full-time municipal, county, state, tribal or territorial law enforcement officer who is a direct government agency employee.
  • Be sworn and commissioned to enforce criminal or immigration statutes.
  • Be authorized by the employing agency to have the weapon in connection with assigned duties.
  • Have completed the TSA Law Enforcement Officer Flying Armed Training Course.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Forged, Any recommendations for Holsters?
I don't honestly. I use a simple leather belt clip holster for behind the back.

I'd recommend finding a quality shoulder holster if you are allowed to carry that way though.

I have a few I acquired in Iraq.

I prefer the shoulder holster config because you have a quick draw from a seated position for both weapon and magazines.

A shoulder holster draw also feels more natural, and you can raise the sights to your LOS faster than other draws imo.

This model below can be a starting point, though it's a pretty penny.

https://www.craftholsters.com/leath...EUeYcjmFwyqDj84dsYNkYpi-sa24C0zRoCBzoQAvD_BwE

·
What hell, pay attention
7,875 Posts
Have you tried AIWB? I find its very comfortable while sitting and easily accessed, even with a seat belt. I havent flown for that long, but I have driven that long, and it was not a problem at all.

Then again, I wear/carry a gun in that manner for 16-18 hours a day on a daily basis and Im used to it.

I used to carry IWB at 4:30 or so for about 30 some odd years, and I wish I had switched to AIWB decades ago.

·
Deplorable
1,925 Posts
For the love of all that is holy keep that danm picture of you **** stained smart carry out of this thread.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,152 Posts
INTERESTING...

WHen I flew armed I had my federal creds, and it was while I was working undercover, so I DID NOT LOOK like an authorized person to be packing on a plane. There were usually at least 2 or 3 of us going and the others would be FED CLEAN and one would be there going ."Yes, he really is a deputy US marshal." "Are you sure?" "Yes, he really is.":D:

Because of my gig I carried like I did on the street, a Star PD tucked butt forward into a DeSantis little flap of leather that kept the gun from falling down my pant legs. Wore like it was part of me and never even knew it was there.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,875 Posts
For the love of all that is holy keep that danm picture of you **** stained smart carry out of this thread.
Wasnt going to, but since you brought it up. :D:

AIWB is the next best thing. :thumb:

But there is always this......

They would probably still find it in their normal strip down cavity search though. But hes got permission slip. :D:

·
Start up the rotors
7,637 Posts
So OP is a US Marshal?

Don't know anyone else authorized to fly armed.

I had to throw mine in with the luggage and tag it.

Never mind that I'm probably more adept at, well, too early to throw jabs at LEO types.

:D:

My buddy is a Sheriff's Deputy and was armed flying back with a prisoner.
Simple County Mounty type...

And to OP, if you're OK to carry, go ahead and carry OWB under a jacket or cover shirt. It'll be the most comfortable.

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
Op is NOT a US Marshal.
And no, The Marshal Service is not the only agency authorized to fly armed.
That is not what the post is about.

Just for your general knowledge.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

Flying Armed

To qualify to fly armed, unless otherwise authorized by TSA, federal regulation states that a law enforcement officer must meet all of the following requirements:

• Be a federal law enforcement officer or a full-time municipal, county, state, tribal or territorial law enforcement officer who is a direct government agency employee.
  • Be sworn and commissioned to enforce criminal or immigration statutes.
  • Be authorized by the employing agency to have the weapon in connection with assigned duties.
  • Have completed the TSA Law Enforcement Officer Flying Armed Training Course.
What about law abiding, free citizens? No?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about law abiding, free citizens? No?

If your asking me if I approve of it, I don't have a problem with it.

Though in my opinion you should be of sound mind and be able to exercise the patience and the judgment necessary to not jump into a situation that the cabin crew is trained to handle and avoid exposing yourself to those using it as a ruse to flush you out and be able to comprehend the meaning of stay in your seat and shut the **** up and not become part of the problem for those who are trained and trusted to handle situations that would prevent the aircraft from becoming a steerable weapon of mass destruction.

Is that you? I think not.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,550 Posts
I would carry the Shield in an over the waistband holster with a light no-tuck shirt over it. The Sig is pretty heavy and if that was my only choice I would try to find a comfortable shoulder holster and wear a light jacket. I carried a Colt Combat Commander that worked fine. A good fitting shoulder holster was pretty expensive in those days, don't know about now. There used to be a good one called the Jacka$$ but don't know if it is still around.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts