Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
No. It's a street sweeper designed to be controllable in full auto mode. Semi-auto is completely controllable in a sidearm. Since you (most likely) can't have full auto, a rifle caliber in a similar size weapon would be more effective. Not the most reliable weapon either.

·
Happy to be here!
4,922 Posts
Very cool gun as a range toy, collector piece, show off to your buddies gun. There are much better options out there for TSHTF combat rifle. Whatever floats your boat though. I would hate to get shot by one.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Not even close!

For the cost of them you could get a couple handguns and non mil-surp rifles used...

Why would you want a weapon with an effective range of maybe 75 yards?

·
Flight To The Fight - AKs
217 Posts
They are good out to 100 meters. And they are a very good SHTF scenario weapon. Especially if you are a residential or city area. Will need one with stoppin' power like the Tommy or a CAR-15. CQC will be there.

And it's a shoulder-killer, but you can't complain when you need it. But, you gotta get it in full-auto. Semi- just won't cut it. In room-to-room always get auto. But, they'll run you 11,000 to 21,000 dollars. But, well worth it.

Always full-auto though.

The other good street-sweeper is the South African Armsel Striker. That's the next best thing in a common gauge that is semi-auto and works great. Also a shoulder-killer. I know a gun who's sellin' both weapons. Full-auto Tommy-gun and the Street-Sweeper. The Street-sweeper will only run you 2,000 to 3,000 bucks.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
good to know- Theres 5 or 6 class 3 weapons within a few miles of me that I can STEAL assuming I can get there before the zombies (or the owners of the range) can get to the store :D:

Thompson, Uzi full sized, sterling, P90, MAC-10 and M4 9mm

·
Criminitly!
568 Posts
It was good for the WWII crowd. It was even good for the first part of the Viet Nam. It would be good for you. Although they are very heavy to hump around with all day!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
its not much more usefull than a ak 47 is semi auto, defeats the purpose. a sks or ar carbine better choice

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,272 Posts
They're a sweet piece of history and a well made gun, but by today's standards, overweight, too expensive, to limited in range and not very powerful. I happen to like pistol caliber carbines, and I love the Thompson for it's history, but it's just not a good choice in my opinion.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,272 Posts
good to know- Theres 5 or 6 class 3 weapons within a few miles of me that I can STEAL assuming I can get there before the zombies (or the owners of the range) can get to the store :D:

Thompson, Uzi full sized, sterling, P90, MAC-10 and M4 9mm
Bring your safecracking tools. They'll be locked up when the store isn't open. In fact, the owners may take them home with them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'd love to have even a semi-auto Thompson but wouldn't want to depend on it for anything other than range time fun. If the shtf I'll be loading up AK mags.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
Is a semi-auto tommy gun a worthwhile SHTF weapon?

I think you need to change your title. A semi-auto is not a sub-machine gun. I don't know the laws of Washington, but I doubt you will get approval for a machine gun in Seattle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts