Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had to chose between the two I would chose the AK-47. Wait I meant to say the Thompson ;-) I love milled weapons. Which one would you chose and why?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would pick a rifle before picking a pistol carbine. The Thompson is heavy, really heavy, has a pistol round that doesn't go very fast or far over 200m, doesn't have a place to put optics, is slow to reload either stick or drum, and is also heavy.

A M-16 with optics comes under the Thompson by a few pounds, which means I can carry more ammo, tactical bacon, deodorant, armor, and water.

·
Ranger
475 Posts
Not only is 5.56 a far superior round, 100 rds of 230gr .45 weighs over 4.5 lbs and 5.56 weighs 2.5 lb.

The Thompson is a nice antique.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,654 Posts
The 1927A1 is a civilian semi-auto only look alike for a 'real' tommy. Not my cup of tea.

Now if you are talking a 1921 or an 1928A1, I would love to be able to a afford one. I have fired a 1928A1 with a Douglas/Cutts barrel, especially made for LE in the 60's. CMP sold them to police departments around the country in the early 60s but the barrels were trashed so they had to be re-barreled. It would cycle regular .45 ACP ammunition but preferred a more powerful .45 ACP sub-machine gun round, pretty much a +P .45 ACP. My firearms instructor in the police academy, (back in the dark ages) brought one out the last day of class. We had to buy the ammo but it was well worth it. It is a gas to shoot.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Range, weight, accuracy all go to the M16 series rifle/carbine. The Thompson is fun tho! When I was stationed in Montana, the FBI brought out an old Thomson that they took apart (detailed) and couldn't get it back together. So they brought it to me in pieces. I cleaned, inspected and reassembled, and they brought a full can of .45 out in appreciation for me to "test-fire" the gun. I ran probably 500 rds through it in a very short period of time. A lot of fun, and very controllable (due to the weight and compensator). I'd love to have one, but I still believe the M16 is superior...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I will always prefer old fashioned milled steel and walnut to modern Tupperware. In a survival situation, if you're living in some little camp somewhere running away, and some little gasket or something blows, or the bolt cracks, or some garbage, then you're pretty much screwed. There's a reason militaries once refused to use plastic and stamped sheet metal in their standard issue rifles.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I can file parts for the Thompson if need be, it's extremely robust and reliable.

I prefer metal, it's easier to fix, outlasts plastic and shares ammo with my 1911's.

I'll take the Thompson.

And having used the real ones before, I have definitely gained my respect for what the weapon will do in real life.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I've fired a thompson. They are extremely heavy, awkward to shoot, have terrible triggers, and are just generally an inferior weapon for combat compared to just about ANY modern military rifle or carbine. I love them and think they are a lot of fun to play with... but I would never choose one over an AR or AK as a main weapon.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I can file parts for the Thompson if need be, it's extremely robust and reliable.

I prefer metal, it's easier to fix, outlasts plastic and shares ammo with my 1911's.

I'll take the Thompson.

And having used the real ones before, I have definitely gained my respect for what the weapon will do in real life.
You can't beat the old warhorse, especially for CQB duty, that 230gr ball is a great close range stopper. I am happy to own a 1928 West Hurley and a M1 SBR.

·
Premium Member
12,146 Posts
m-16 hands down, the thompson it's magazines and ammo make it a pig to lug around for extended periods not to mention it's short range arc like trajectory.

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first time I saw the M16. I thought it was a toy. It was so generic. I couldn't believe they were passing this off as an alternative to the Thompson. Thompson is built like a tank. You can crack someone's head with it. The ammo is the same used in the 1911 pistol. No need to carry two different types of ammo (like 9mm for M9 and .223 for the M16). Excellent stopping power.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
It is interesting to see proponents on both sides of the fence on this one. It's really an apples to oranges comparison tho: one is a rifle and one is a SMG. One cannot effectively replace the other's role.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It is interesting to see proponents on both sides of the fence on this one. It's really an apples to oranges comparison tho: one is a rifle and one is a SMG. One cannot effectively replace the other's role.
Well, technically it's just a pistol-caliber carbine, since it's semi-auto. I would think the M-16 is undoubtedly the superior weapon. .45 has good "stopping power," I guess-within 50 meters. I don't know the actual numbers for the ballistics of .45 ACP versus 5.56x45mm, but I would guess 5.56 does better at any range. It's also lighter (both the round and the weapon) and has more range. I'm not sure why this is even a question...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got a West Hurley FA Thompson. It's bulky, heavy and uses a pistol caliber. It's also the funnest gun to shoot I own. It's sexy as all get out and keeps a smile on my face.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts