Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in REALITY rather than fantasies concerning new civil wars/NWO conspiracies/UN-run concentration camps/and other assorted nonsense, really ought to read "THE LONG EMERGENCY" by James Howard Kuntsler.
Its available at amazon.com and if any factual, reality-based book on the NEAR future could guarantee to send a chill down your spine, this is the one!
In fact, once you read it you'll see the concept of "survival" in a whole new light......a very bleak light at that, and you definitely won't feel good about it.
This is one book which will break the fantasy delusions of most armchair "Survivalists" out there who dream of living a wilder, motion picture-like existance. Once you read "THE LONG EMERGENCY" you'll see just how short time is for modern civilization and knowning what will result when it unravels will make you unsettled at a very deep level to say the least.
This is not a "nice" book. It is not an inspiring book. It slaps the reader squarely across the face - HARD! Its content is science and statistic-based and is very carefully and well laid out. Oil ( now and in the future ) is its main focus. "Alternative" sources and means of energy are debunked and dismantled - totally, as wishful thinking and simple frauds ( this goes for nuclear energy too! ). Pandemics are shown to be playing a very big part in the future. Psychological derangement ( now wide spread among populations of every nation ) are tied into the sickening mix. And the looney-tune ideas of building a shelter in the wilds and defending it by force ( a la some "Mad Max" scenario ) are revealed in all its absurdity and impracticality.
This is one book anyone interested in future life ( "future" referring to less than thirty years from now ) should read. It can be followed up with a novel from the same author entitled "A World Made By Hand", which is based on the information found in "THE LONG EMERGENCY".
So again; for all the fantasy-focused people out there who have bought into the common "survivalist" concepts linked to everything from loose-spring conspiracy theories and/or Biblical/end-of-the-world events, this book will be a refreshing and relentless refocusing on reality.
"THE LONG EMERGENCY", very disturbing and well worth reading.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Seeing as how it is really based upon 'peak oil', I am not sure it is all that and a bag of chips.

But...happy reading anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you say that? Especially when oil is the one and only base on which modern civilization rests and functions on, and is built on in fact.
Oil actually peaked years ago. All the reserves which are left are dirty and in places where its hard and expensive to get. "Sweet oil" is as good as all used up. So-called "off shore" supplies are flashes in the pan. The North Sea reserves are almost done presently too.
In order to understand how absurd "alternative" fuel and energy sources are, you need to read this book......especially since it also lays out how there is no way ALL of these "alternative" fuels put together aren't even a scratch on what will be needed to keep our modern standard of living in tact and functioning in ways we're use to.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive heard about the book..and I have read a few of this type..I like the way the writers can blend in fact with fiction and smidgeon of premonition to make his book quite believable..to even make it seem not only possible but probable..sort of like some of these most excellent blog authors..but at the ripe old age of 54 I dont figure on being around in 30 or so yrs from now..so I kind of look for a different earlier shtf scenario..like economic collapse ..an NBC event or Martial Law declaration seems more feasible to me (especially now)..but if I did live to be 85 or 90 I think my predominate worries would be whos gonna wipe this drool off my chin and change this nasty diaper Im wearing..but I applaud you for reading the book and having that as a probable bad time ahead or shtf scenario ,get as many of SHTF scenarios in ur head as u can ..one of them will happen eventually , consider what one u can see happening the quickest and closest to you and work off that.. in 30 yrs Im fairly sure by then oil will be a minimum worry with electric cars and all that) can u imagine how advanced they will be by then? how many wars will happen in the next quarter century..how much the world will change thru technologies that hasnt been discovered as of yet..way to many variables to deal with in that time frame for me..but reading books of this nature can open ones eyes and make one think...and thats a good thing!..as far as concentration camps go..google fema detention centers..they r already here I believe and Martial Law is just a stroke of a presidential pen away

·
what me worry
58 Posts
look if it based on peak oil i am not sure if we there yet. I have a major issue with many political issues becuase it is difficult to have accurate info when the gov't officeholders refuse to unabstruct the process for drilling. I dont take much stock in businessmen as well using their resources to obtain oil just to manipulate the price of oil. i believe there might be detetion camps but don't know for sure. there have been many theories and ideas put forth over the years... We all know how gov't just wont get out of our lives. This is to keep our sorry politicians rich and in power. They dont have the final say we do as americans just becuase a lot of sheeple have bought into their bill of goods. their are still some who do want govt smaller. they just not in govt right now

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
to me it sounds like an oxymoron a book on reality, predicting the future,hmm. sounds like just another fantasy book to me, on what the author pictures for the future.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
Oil actually peaked years ago. All the reserves which are left are dirty and in places where its hard and expensive to get. "Sweet oil" is as good as all used up. So-called "off shore" supplies are flashes in the pan. The North Sea reserves are almost done presently too.
Do you haver any facts or sources to support this claim? Other than the book that is?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Guys--anyone with one eye(minimum); and the wit to be a good con artist can predict the future.

If you want to impress me; tell me WHEN as well as WHAT--'Course even then; you can sell beaucoup books; and book beaucoup speaking engagements while awaiting reality's verdict...

.....RVM45 :cool:

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Guys, if you *google* "peak oil", there are scads of facts and statistics to back up the premise of peak oil.
James Howard Kuntsler did NOT *invent* the theory or premise of peak oil.
Scientists and geologists were writing about it in the late 50s, early 60s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've read Kuntsler's books and will have to say they are thought provoking. However, there are a lot of things, places and people Mr. Kuntsler doesn't like and he loses no opportunity to slam them in his writings. I think that anyone who ends up with the Northeast as the most desirable and perhaps only US area that would be viable for survival in his scenario is not too objective.

·
Registered
488 Posts
America has secured the world's largest oil reserves around the world and will defend them with blood. As oil becomes more scarce it will become increasingly economical to recover the world's largest known oil supply- the Canadian oil sands. Scarcity will drive up prices; If we can maintain a semblance of a free market those increases will empower alternative energy sources as are becoming a reality today. There will be market corrections and scares but we will be fine in the energy department if we can maintain our mental department. Peak oil is real and therefore usable alternatives are real.
Be prepared.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
Yeah... Peak Oil... We're running out... That's why we're pumping it back into the ground in the gulf right.

Reactions: ratsg
1 - 16 of 16 Posts