Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I live in an association.

when I first started flying my Gadsden I did get a odd look and some whispering in the ranks of the soap opera watchers clubs here, but no one has dared come to my door and tell me to take it down.

I think they know me well enough to not cross that line.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I will never live where there is a homeowners association we have enough regulations on us as is.

·
Ready for the big "push"
1,473 Posts
I will never live where there is a homeowners association we have enough regulations on us as is.
EXACTLY!!! When I was looking for a place to live 18 years ago, one of the first things I told my Realtor was I will NOT look at anything in a HOA.

·
Combat Veteran
2,275 Posts
The sign violated Subdivison Covenants? I guess they would hate me as a neighbor because there'd be several other things I'd violate if anyone ****ed with anything in my front yard especially something having to do with my kids.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I can barely tolerate my idiot, nosy neighbors I have now, and couldn't imagine how bad these same people would be in an HOA.

I hope the parents sue the hell out of the HOA, or do whatever they can to bring shame upon the whiners in their midst.

·
Registered
445 Posts
We moved to the country over 20 years ago, mainly to get away from all the screeching tires, sirens, loud radios, boom boxes, city lights, and I go on and on. Out here we can hear the crickets, tree frogs, and all the woods creatures, without worrying about some crackhead jerk knocking down our door in middle of the night. Sure is a good feelingl.

·
Just plain snarky.
5,967 Posts
Sadly, we in Australia are following the USA down the same path, subdivisions full of identical houses, painted the same, same style of roof, same lawns....we have a term for them, McMansions, as they are all the same, big ugly and identical......if they ever bring in a HOA law(other than our Body Corporates which are formed for unit complexes) I will just give up.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've always heard being in an association was like being a power bottom
Bending over and taking it is a part of life.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
HOAs were originally formed for a decent purpose, which was to ensure that everyone's property values were protected.

You guys have all seen neighborhoods where 99% of the people work hard to keep their property up, and one dude has 4 or 5 busted up cars all over his yard, a broken refrigerator on the front porch, a yard full of weeds, and blue tarps on the roof from where the shingles rotted. And the one dude's place knocks down the resale value of all the other homes (which, in the current housing market, were not likely as high as when the homeowner's bought them to begin with.)

HOAs were formed as a mechanism to be able to force such guys to clean up their properties. I actually lived in a neighborhood where we had this one dude who was a serious nightmare, and the HOA was the only tool available to force some sort of dialog with this guy. So they CAN work in constructive ways.

But then the pendulum swung the other way.

HOAs turned into cartels where the most extreme, intolerant, and power-hungry people got voted into positions where these few mini-tyrants are able to force the neighborhood to abide by rules that are a nightmare for most everyone else.

Fortunately, HOAs can be sued. And the lawsuits force the HOA to bill every homeowner for the cost of the lawyer. And the homeowners can tell the HOA they're not going to pay any more to file frivolous lawsuits.

Moreover, it also sounds like the Burr's suit has a chance of winning - because once the HOA allows signs in neighborhood yards supporting things like the local High School football team, or Marching for Breast Cancer, or Yard Sales, or People who are running for City Council or Sheriff, etc., then it becomes seriously random as to which signs are allowable and which are not.

Rock on, good luck, and Semper Fi to Tim and Jodi Burr. I hope you screw them to the wall on this one. (My son is currently serving in Afghanistan also, and I know what I'd do in the face of provocation like that...)

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Parents of Marine sued by HOA for sign...........

So some signs are OK...others, ummm, not so much. I know when I lived in a neighborhood with an HOA...it pretty much had the same restrictions. BUT...people always had campaign signs, school spirit stuff...and that was alright. Hope this works in favor of the parents of the Marine.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/marines-parents-sued-over-sign-supporting-their-son/

1 - 20 of 39 Posts