Survivalist Forum banner

This isnt your old school E Tool....

1543 Views 35 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  shabodah
Do you carry a E tool in your gear? If so are you using the tried and true .mil E tool or are you looking at other options? The folding E tool has some weak points and the Russian version is built like a tank but what else is out there? I personally like the United Cutlery M48.. what do you like??
Air gun Gun barrel Font Musical instrument accessory Fashion accessory
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· reluctant sinner
22,691 Posts
I have a Korean war entrenching tool. Wood handle with folding shovel and pick. I bent the hell out of some tri-fold POS trying to extract the LandCruiser off a snow/ice berm. Ended up throwing it in the river and bought my field tested unit.

Has a place in the INCH cart, with the Boy's ax, a buck saw, a drawn knife and the big drill bit.

· Old Soldier
5,880 Posts
I use an Ames entrenching tool date stamped 1942 . I 've used this tool while relic hunting " metal detecting" weekly for the past 40 years . it is extremely worn but still very useable. the toughness was obtained by using a good grade of metal not cool shapes.my trench shovel is 80 years old how old is yours ?
These are the same entrenching tools issued to us in the 1960's, both in the US and in Vietnam.
I lost mine almost 50 years ago and have been looking for another genuine article ever since.
The type that is just folding shovel and wood handle, no pick opposite the shovel blade.
These also made awesome close combat weapons.

I just can't see how good one of the tri folds with triangular handles could stand up to the old tool as a weapon.

· Registered
5,936 Posts
These are the same entrenching tools issued to us in the 1960's, both in the US and in Vietnam.
I lost mine almost 50 years ago and have been looking for another genuine article ever since.
The type that is just folding shovel and wood handle, no pick opposite the shovel blade.
These also made awesome close combat weapons.

I just can't see how good one of the tri folds with triangular handles could stand up to the old tool as a weapon.
I have the same. My grandfather gave it to me. Pretty good shovel, but that’s all I ever use it for.

· Registered
8,965 Posts
the goold ol russian Spetnaz shovel is my go to
it's what I keep within arm's length in the back seat - modified one edge with serration and the other with a strait knife edge - actually have put it to legit use a few times over the years ....

· Registered
206 Posts
I’ve never had one one before and just bought 3 of these. One for my van and others for the grandkids. I have no idea to to quality yet as it hasn’t been used yet

· Registered
968 Posts
I use one of the folding e-tools. I've gotta say, I've gotten way more use out of it than I thought. I keep it in the trunk of my car and on the rare occasions I go camping, it's an all-star. Perfect for digging a fire pit, and then covering it up.

· Registered
379 Posts
I'll stick with my old Army surplus one. If I can't fold it into an "L" to sit on, and take a poop... I'm not interested.
Reminds me that one often used the e-tool when trying to drop a stool which is why in my
platoon we called it a “grunt pole”. And no, it wasn’t a euphemism for an infantryman.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts