Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/13/2770207.htm

Right now Canada is said to be experiencing a major snow storm that has stranded thousands in their homes and at best cut off their villages.

There is no word yet but depending on how long it takes authorities and nature to dig everyone out, I would assume there will be some deaths related to this storm.

I have cautioned before and I will again. This winter is going to be a cold and precipitous one. It is not even winter yet and we are already starting to see very low temps and snowfall here. I can remember only once that it snowed on thanksgiving.

What I find odd is that scientists, especially the ones I know, are aware of the situations driving the colder and wetter than usual weather. i.e. The Mt. Redabout eruption. Yet the government has made no advisement for people to take extra precautions to protect themselves in the event of unusual inclement weather that we are bound to have.

It is not even the time of year yet that arctic air pushes its way deep into the south. And already we have had temperatures as low as 12F and 16F just this past week.

I hope everyone realizes that Survivalism is not just about guns and ammo and preparing for the bomb or a zombie invasion.
Take care that you wrap your water pipes and leave water running so your pipes don't bust.

Obviously have plenty of food on hand, be sure to have your bug out bag in your vehicle with enough supplies to get you home no matter where you go.

Check your medical supplies in the event emergency services are delayed or suspended.

Tire chains are a good idea.

Be sure you have heat sources that do not rely on municipal utilities.

Do not wear cotton, or at least keep an outfit of synthetic materials clothing in you vehicle along with wool socks and some boots. For those of you who are not outdoors men of the extreme conditions, Cotton does not wick water it retains it and speeds hypothermia. Most synthetic fibers will have an insulation efficiency of 70% even when wet. Wool does well but synthetics are not as heavy meaning less energy required to move. This is all in case you have to walk/hike somewhere to get to safety or wherever it is you want to go.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will see if I can learn from this before I get snowed in too....
Wow, in Sweden I would imagine you get plenty of winter precipitation annually. I know Canada does as does the Great Lakes Region here. Difference is for many of us, Canada and the are Norther and Rocky Mountain States' governments have invested in the equipment and materials to cope with their typical climate. Here in Tennessee if we get more than 6 inches everything shuts down because we really don't have the resources to deal with it. But it is rare that we get over 6 inches here as it is rare in many other states.

This is why people in those states must prepare because your state department of transportation, and utilities services, may not be equip to deal with heavy winter precip as northern states dot's are.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Which part of Canada are we talking aboot? It's -45 w/wc tonight. I had to put on a sweater...

I've driven in conditions where I couldn't even see the highway. Had to run on the rumble strip just to stay on course at 30 clicks.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,513 Posts
Beginning Oct. 1st, this has been the snowiest and coldest autumn and now winter that I can remember. As I have shown with many pics in my newest pic thread here, which also includes a great survival retreat checklist in post #5 > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

I think that blizzards etc. can be a SHTF situation but they do not have to be. IF people are prepared and stay inside, by a nice fire, warm drinks, food etc. People die when they travel in a blizzard, get stuck and even try to walk out.

The governments such as state and city gov'ts here in the Rocky Mountains do have much equipment such as snow plows but their budgets are getting stretched tight and the more snow to plow the more expensive it is and by March many gov'ts might be bankrupt, just from trying to keep roads open etc.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the food and the insulation thing licked--I've gained 15 pounds in the last six months!
OVC
Very nice. lol. Of course for those who dont know better I do not suggest that anyone will starve as a result of a blizzard. As a matter of fact it would be near impossible. And I doubt anyone would freeze to death in their own home, even void of heat sources.

The real dangers are illness and injury. When emergency services are delayed or suspended it is important to be self reliant. Dehydration is an often unaccounted for danger in the winter time. One often used more water in the winter than in the summer. The water is used by your body for the purpose of generating more heat. You also expel a good deal of water vapor in your breath as your lungs heat up in am attempt to keep ones core warm.

In an extreme cold snap water lines even underground will bust. It happened to me just last winter, and that was a mild winter if I have ever seen one. I think the best home prep you can make is to simply fill your bathtub with water upon forecast that a cold snap is on its way. This way you have plenty of water for dishes, the toilet, and other water needs so that you don't consume all your drinking water, and don't have to suspend normal household functions either.

The real danger is getting stranded on roadways, or involved in a wreck in a situation where emergency services may be greatly delayed. One has to be able to react to any injured persons in that situation. Rest assured, you may have a survival situation you are preped for and you know its going to happen tat way, and then when the real SHTF you may be caught with your pants down, hopefully not at a tuck stop mind you.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
Not a lot of snow here actually. That is probably one of the reasons a lot of snow could be really bad. People are used to nice controlled snowfall, snow tires, roads bein kept open. Any real heavy snowfall and we're lost.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts

According to the 2010 Farmers’ Almanac, this winter will see more days of shivery conditions: a winter during which temperatures will average below normal for about three-quarters of the nation.

More here.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/a/frigid-2010-forecast-how-cold-will-the-winter-weather-be
Reply]
Hey, you can't blame me for the cold! I am doing my part for the enviroment. I drive a 454 powered GMC Suburban 2500 that get 11 miles to the gallon and costs $150.00 to fill JUST so i can help keep things warm!!

It's all the other idiots driving Prisus and Smart cars that are making it cold!! DON'T BLAME ME!!!

:D: :)

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
DD and her family live in the affected area, and the children have not had school for a few days because of snow. We, on the other hand, are wondering if the ground is ever going to freeze! We had a light dusting of snow a while ago, but even today we have rain. The ground is saturated, and we've had flooding in our basement last week...unusual for this time of year.*

*I'm dreaming of a White Christmas ...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I live in western Michigan, so that means we get a lot of lake effect snow. Last week we got our blizzard, we got 15 inches of snow in one day! High temps were 10-15F, most schools were closed Wed, Thu and Friday.

This type of weather this early hasn't happened in about 10 years. Hopefully the snow will fill up Lake Huron again, it's been down 3 feet since about 2001.

·
Padawan
589 Posts
Yeah we don't get that much snow fall here in Finland either. Even up north where it can snow a lot, the snow fall is typically slow and not at all extreme. This is however the first time in a few years that it's been below zero and snowy in December here in southern Finland, it's really nice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just a reminder too, if your power goes out and you have no heat. Blankets, yes... burning a charcoal grill in your home, NO!!!!!!!

There have been people killed...again this year...from burning charcoal in their homes for heat. :headshake:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a reminder too, if your power goes out and you have no heat. Blankets, yes... burning a charcoal grill in your home, NO!!!!!!!

There have been people killed...again this year...from burning charcoal in their homes for heat. :headshake:
HAHA! Too Funny! And too sad for words. I can not believe that someone would burn charcoal in their home.

Oh and please be sure that if you use a kerosene heater, especially burning desil fuel, do crack a window and position it near said window. it is much safer that way.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Last year we got an above avg amount of snow
No big snow ins, but steady amounts

Haven't got any so far this year, but I have a feeling we are going to have a couple big ones

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,277 Posts
Wow, in Sweden I would imagine you get plenty of winter precipitation annually. I know Canada does as does the Great Lakes Region here. Difference is for many of us, Canada and the are Norther and Rocky Mountain States' governments have invested in the equipment and materials to cope with their typical climate. Here in Tennessee if we get more than 6 inches everything shuts down because we really don't have the resources to deal with it. But it is rare that we get over 6 inches here as it is rare in many other states.

This is why people in those states must prepare because your state department of transportation, and utilities services, may not be equip to deal with heavy winter precip as northern states dot's are.
We don't normally get much snow here either. If we get any at all that winter, it's usually just a touch in january, or occasionally december. Yet this year, we've had 3 snows so far in november. We also had an early hard freeze that took out my garden early.

We're a lot like Tennessee in that much snow and we're shut down. Ice especially. Our roads aren't designed for it and when we get it, they turn into sheets of pure ice that shut down the city. We've had a couple ice storms in the last several years that took us out for days. We also had a 30 inch snowfall that did the same thing. Luckily those are rare events, but all occured within the last few years, and this winter being predicted as colder and wetter than usual, will probably do the same for short periods.

For us it doesn't matter. But for those in colder climates, it's especially important to be prepared this year. Stock up now, while you can. Make sure you're set for heat.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Snow is forecast in britain too in some parts,and its been really cold recently.I appreciate the thread though because sometimes I think we can forget about the more normal situations that might cause us to have to use our preps.It has made me think that if it did snow heavily here and we were stuck indoors for a few days what preps I would like to have in,or preps I may be missing.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts