Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back someone (Prepared Mama I think) posted a thread about walking around your place in the dark to get to know it better and learn to stealth around in the dark.

This is why I don't walk around my place in the dark. This area is not far from the house. The rope tied around this tree is 3 to 3 1/2 ft above ground. A couple of those hogs reach that rope in height.

We put the corn out for the deer, but the camera only took a couple pictures of deer out of the 152 pictures it took. Notice that these are 2 different groups of pigs (I think).

If you were someone who was trespassing and walked into these groups of wild hogs, what would you do? :)

We haven't been able to kill any yet, but maybe we'll get lucky before Thanksgiving.

During hard times, I think I'll have a steady supply of meat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Looks like the start of a real good pig picking!

I assume, as they do around here, cause a lot of damage. (?)

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
If you were someone who was trespassing and walked into these groups of wild hogs, what would you do?

Grill,baby,grill! :D:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is at our farm in East Texas. These hogs are mean and they run in packs. It took them about two days to find the corn and by then we were already back in Dallas.

They chewed a little on one of my plum and pecan trees. I wasn't happy about that. We only got to eat 2 canteloupes out of our summer garden. They beat us to them. They ate some of the watermelon but we had plenty so we didn't mind as much as we did about the canteloups. They have been rooting a lot around the feeder, not to much around the house. This past spring, I lost a few herbs and pepper plants. I think it might have been the hogs, but it could have been from rabbits or squirrels too.

We put up a 2 seater tree stand today. We hope to go back this coming weekend and shoot one of those big ones.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Dig a pit, get the wood, and enjoy some of the best of what nature has to offer! There is NOTHING like a pig or hog cooked all day over a wood fire. You can't beat the taste!

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Keep dropping the corn in the same spot...
Build one wall of a fence next to that spot...
pigs will come back to the spot and get used to the new wall...
build another wall next to the corn...
pigs will return for more corn...
build a third wall and a gate at the only opening left...
When the pigs come for the corn now all you need to do is close the gate.

Oh yeah, time for bacon.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep dropping the corn in the same spot...
Build one wall of a fence next to that spot...
pigs will come back to the spot and get used to the new wall...
build another wall next to the corn...
pigs will return for more corn...
build a third wall and a gate at the only opening left...
When the pigs come for the corn now all you need to do is close the gate.

Oh yeah, time for bacon.
That really is a great idea. I need to buy more corn and some fencing material. After I had them caged up, I could fatten them up.

Oh yea, I forgot to ask. Will you come and close the gate for me? :) I'm scared of that mama hog.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot to ask. Will you come and close the gate for me? :) I'm scared of that mama hog.
:eek: LOL :D:.

Maybe just tie a rope to the gate and pull it shut from a comfortable distance.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Better hit the vet supply and feed the hogs some worm pellets it makes for healthy hogs and better weight.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
they breed like rats, so as long as you keep the food around, you'll have a good supply of hog

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
We have them all around the area I live. And we will be dressing one out and throwing him in the cajun microwave here shortly. When the weather turns cool it's time for a cochon de lait.:thumb:

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
That’s how they hunt hogs around here. They ride around on dirt roads drinking whiskey and looking for fresh tracks where the hogs just crossed the road. They carry two types of dogs. Bay dogs and catch dogs. They let the bay dogs loose and the chase is on. These are usually beagles or similar dogs. Then when they run up on the hog they sic the catch dogs on the hog. These are usually bulldogs. The catch dogs grab the hog’s snout and the guys run up and grab his hind legs, flip him over and tape him up with duct tape. Then they take him home and pen him up for about a month, feeding him corn. This gets rid of the gamey taste of wild hog. I’ve had some barbecued like this and it was great. I have also eaten wild hog that was just shot and not penned and fed out, but my buddy had it butchered and made into a spicy sausage. It was good like that and didn’t taste too gamey. Some wild hog taste terrible if you don’t feed it out first though. Just depends on the hog. Around here a lot of farmers just turned their hogs loose several years ago when the market tanked so a lot of the hogs running loose aren’t actually wild boar type hogs (the gamey tasting type). I remember one old farmer was telling me his woes about the bad hog market and he told me he had to start locking his hog pen again, something he hadn’t done since the fifties. I said “I can’t believe people are stealing your hogs as bad as the market is. It cost more to feed one to maturity than you can sell it for.” He said “Son, one day I’d go out and I had ten hogs, the next day or so I went out and I had fourteen hogs, a week later I had twenty hogs.” This guy had to lock his pen because people were coming by and dropping hogs off into his pen. :D:

I have a DVD called Mueller's Monsters "THE BEAST OF KINGS". This guy hunts wild boar with a cold steel boar spear. It’s pretty graphic. You can hear him telling the camera guy not to run when he sticks the hogs. The guy has bigger nads then me. Check out that DVD if you want to see some amazing up close hunting with a spear. I’m talking 600 to 700 pound monsters that could disembowel a man with one swipe of the tusk. I always thought I want to take a wild hog with a spear until I saw this video. Kinnda changed my mind about that after watching this video. :xeye:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts