Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Clean clothes, ribbons in the hair, a starving boy smiling at his mother's exaggeration. Not end of the world stuff but what happens when a government cannot get its act together to provide a basic infrastructure.

That gaggle of women and children victimized by a lousy government and weather I don't think represents what many would face or how they would behave in a true famine.

Post SHTF it is desperate young men with guns that confront you, not mothers with seven kids.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Clean clothes, ribbons in the hair, a starving boy smiling at his mother's exaggeration. Not end of the world stuff but what happens when a government cannot get its act together to provide a basic infrastructure.

That gaggle of women and children victimized by a lousy government and weather I don't think represents what many would face or how they would behave in a true famine.

Post SHTF it is desperate young men with guns that confront you, not mothers with seven kids.
Moral of the story...don't go to Haiti.

Oh yea and stockpile food. :)

-Cade

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
How many of you bug in folks are ready to set the trip wires up like the film?

What do you think about these premade sets? He has been selling them for quite a while so they are either OK or thousands of cops have suddenly gone blind.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110345439

Click on view sellers other items and he carries a dozen different types. I had planned to put a small bag of gear together since I intend to get some sleep if things go sour. These seem like a pretty convenient kit, and not too pricey for all the little parts and ammo you get.

Thoughts?

Here is a primer one. Lifetime supply of ammo too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110459455

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

Don't sell Mama short...when those same seven welfare dependant checks stop coming,you're gonna see some furious women,who believe the gravy should never stop flowing to them.And if you are in their way,you will be the most at fault.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Brew,
Bugging in will require some type of perimeter security. I think that Passive IR devices are better for detection than trip wires. Most will operate for two years on one 9v battery. They come in a wide array of styles and the long range models will typically have a remote tone alert receiver with about a thousand yard range. They work 24/7 night and day and are fairly inexpensive.
Peter

Reactions: Brew

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Don't sell Mama short...when those same seven welfare dependant checks stop coming,you're gonna see some furious women,who believe the gravy should never stop flowing to them.And if you are in their way,you will be the most at fault.
why would you think that people on welfare would be the only enemy if the SHTF? what nonsense.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
That is a quality idea Peter. Possibly both types if there is some sort of EMP or solar eruption/storm/flair activity. IR is a perfect solution for the outside. Unless someone has goggles and steps over the beam.

I just replaced a motion flood light thats been out for a few years and convinced my wife we would get more when we found them on sale and do all parts of the outside. But if the power is gone they are nothing. The batt IR units would still run and can be placed in discreet locations out of sight.

My lay out includes two Iron gates we had to put in to segregate visitors from the dogs inside the house. They are good dogs, but mine defends me to the point I have to keep him from people or you can't talk over the growling.
One gate separates all of the bottom rooms of the house from the stairs. The stairs are their own area and then there is another iron gate separating all of the tops rooms. 3 areas total. I was thinking of wiring those if the time came and things were bad. Was thinking of the primer for each gate, just to have on the shelf or a evac into the woods.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Brew,
You have the best perimeter alarm systems there is or ever was. Dogs...:thumb:
Peter

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Brew,
You have the best perimeter alarm systems there is or ever was. Dogs...:thumb:
Peter
Yes but I fear they will only be what they are, My ears and nose. The vision seems to be a little lacking, or perhaps its a hormonal attention span issue. They can't pack heat so a liability they are, and friends to the end. On accident, my wife opened a very expensive bag of long term storage food and no reaction from me, so they must have a place in the equation.....I just smiled. She had no idea It would have been gone to storage by morning. High end protein with storage time can't hurt them a bit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have dogs... BIG ones!

These dogs require a serious fence cause if they want out... they can get out and hot wire? <rolls eyes> not a problem to go through if they want. Because of their devotion to their charges... livestock, human or their home, they stay home.

But what concerns me is since they are Livestock Guardian Dogs and their first line of defense is to bark to foil the predators surprise attack, they will bark and bark at the two legged predators that come near the fence. This in and of itself will draw attention to my location where as one might just pass me by. No one ever looks up! they all look down! very interesting. this phenomenon occurs over and over.. morale of this is to always look up! you never know who or what is looking down at you.

with dogs weighing 140-180 pounds.. that is a lot of meat! big dogs means food! food means humans! after all the dogs are not scrawny.

while I use my fence as first line of defense, the dogs are the second and are posturing in the direction of the trespassers, I am the last line of defense with my crack shot shooting <wink> (oh brother! where are my glasses? oh yeah around my neck!)

while my dogs will fend off most intruders that are not armed or only armed with a knife... how many have a sword? usually these people are not brave enough to take on a dog or two. Those with guns will take out at least one dog that has ventured toward the threat.

I think hot wire is a very important feature for me because it does keep the wildlife on 'their' side of the fence, but in a city hot wire most likely isn't legal. I imagine if put on the inside of a fence with 6 inch extensions at the top, and only turned on in a SHTF situation that will stop a passer-by from thinking they might hop over to look around. Running on a solar charger and battery.

I have a camera system set up made by X10, 3 wireless cameras that show in color with sound. I currently use them in the barn during kidding and lambing season. They are attached to 3 small TV's I am able to monitor a wide area. I could move them to point at fencing or my blind spots but only if I have power. Oh how I wish I had solar and wind! someday.

I do have solar outdoor lighting and they are on a motion sensor. I use them to light my way at night when I need to feed or walk around the farm. These will also help if my perimeter is breached. (wal-mart $78 each but oh so worth it. when I get them, I change the battery because the ones that come with it don't last long)

If there is no food, people will start searching for it. It has been proven over and over that desperate people do desperate things.. but hungry people will do anything! then we have looters! people for no rhyme or reason go in in the face of death, starvation and physical harm and loot!

I know what a starving person is after.. food. So hungry they will kill and eat anything... but a looter is unpredictable! you may get killed for your TV! and food is secondary.

It is hard to know which is which and in my world.. all will be treated equally.

I would love a house build of steel! I could close my steel shutters with the + cut in them (the outlaw Josey Wales movie shows them). I could just close up my world and be safe till life got back to normal.

*shrug*

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He got his throat slashed!!! Ayeeaaaahhhh!!!!

Dude, lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No bugging in for me.

Our dilemna is that our place is within 15 miles of a mid size town. It won't take long before groups in the city scratch their heads and say "Hey, i know where there's food, the country!".

We have another place in Eastern Oregon that has a non hunting season population of about 10. During hunting season 200.

The dilemna being that the first place is far better for long term survival with all the food, animals, tools etc. Transporting what we would need 300 miles across zombie land with only 7 able bodied fighters would suck. The smithing tools and most gardening stuff would have to be left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts