Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Proud American
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the term BOEV very lightly but this might be 1 of several options I have depending on the event. This is what I'm working on these days. It is a 1986 E150 High cube with a 302 bolted to an AOD. I picked it up for short money so I am dumping a few shekels into it. It only has to pass a safety inspection so there is a lot of room to play

·
Proud American
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup I have had 2 slide in campers in the past. I have always owned a camper for the most part. I sold my 30' trailer just before I bought my current little compound. This has been my longest dry spell without a camper. The class B van will be a great project. We junked the exhaust and we will fit it with a custom duel set up. Pulled the transmission just to go through it, put in a shift kit & reseal it. I plan on 3/4 ton springs on all 4 corners, differential lock on the rear & some new sneakers. The inside is in great shape but I will probably re outfit it as I go.

The semi trailer in the link was very cool but my trucks have 500 Cats and get an assume 5 MPG. I have thought about building a motor home out of a 48 foot trailer but it isn't very practical. It cost about $800 to just fill the tanks and that's not even from dry. If I needed to I could always back the class B and a supply trailer into a 53' semi van. or even better my 43' liftgate trailer that is in the picture.

It is an interesting fantasy that might make a cool movie but find the end of the world scenario very unlikely. My prepping is mostly for disaster evacuation as far as a BOV is concerned. I'm preparing my compound for retirement for minimum cost of living & just because it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So where are all of you going to get gas when SHTF comes? What about a year after SHTF when all the gas tanks at the abandoned stations and cars are filled with algae from condensation? Screw gas dude... You cant store it worth a damn, gas engines dont last as long, are not even remotely as efficient, etc, etc. I can get gas to last 5 years if I'm lucky... I can get diesel fuel to last 20 years EASY and in ideal conditions over 60 years... The 55 gallon diesel drums from WW2 are still good if you ever find those... That fuels as good as gold.

Do a Cummins swap in those trucks boys and start storing diesel fuel PROPERLY (Air tight, under pressure with a shock perservative dose). The only thing holding diesel from lasting forever in a gas tank is algae from condensation... If it's being stored under pressure with a perservative....... It wont go bad in your life time. What it's stored in will go bad before the fuel. HAHAHAHA...

·
Proud American
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So where are all of you going to get gas when SHTF comes? What about a year after SHTF when all the gas tanks at the abandoned stations and cars are filled with algae from condensation? Screw gas dude... You cant store it worth a damn, gas engines dont last as long, are not even remotely as efficient, etc, etc. I can get gas to last 5 years if I'm lucky... I can get diesel fuel to last 20 years EASY and in ideal conditions over 60 years... The 55 gallon diesel drums from WW2 are still good if you ever find those... That fuels as good as gold.

Do a Cummins swap in those trucks boys and start storing diesel fuel PROPERLY (Air tight, under pressure with a shock perservative dose). The only thing holding diesel from lasting forever in a gas tank is algae from condensation... If it's being stored under pressure with a perservative....... It wont go bad in your life time. What it's stored in will go bad before the fuel. HAHAHAHA...
LOL, Caterpillar is out of the game these days anyway in the commercial trucking industry. I am all ready in deals on new semi rigs that have to meet the current emission guidelines. If I was to buy into the social deterioration scenario you describe ( which I don't ) Fuel to run vehicles is not something I would be concerned with. I would be far more concerned with fortifying my compound with the proper individuals with the skills I might be weak in, growing a viable food plot and acquiring enough of the proper animals to sustain the group I assemble. Its a bizarre fantasy at best & I play life as it falls & make decisions from where I am not on what may or may not be. There is nothing wrong with a plan but is has to be fluid. Fuel for machines is not important, Food, Water, Family, Community & Security are vital in a doomsday survival plan.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
LOL, Caterpillar is out of the game these days anyway in the commercial trucking industry. I am all ready in deals on new semi rigs that have to meet the current emission guidelines. If I was to buy into the social deterioration scenario you describe ( which I don't ) Fuel to run vehicles is not something I would be concerned with. I would be far more concerned with fortifying my compound with the proper individuals with the skills I might be weak in, growing a viable food plot and acquiring enough of the proper animals to sustain the group I assemble. Its a bizarre fantasy at best & I play life as it falls & make decisions from where I am not on what may or may not be. There is nothing wrong with a plan but is has to be fluid. Fuel for machines is not important, Food, Water, Family, Community & Security are vital in a doomsday survival plan.
Then why are you commenting on this thread if it doesnt matter to you, yankee? I'm talking about a SHTF bug out truck, and I'm too drunk to understand what you're getting at.

·
Proud American
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why did you start a thread about a BOV when you have bacicly little to no plans on ever needing one?... Seems silly in my opinion.
I never said I have no plans of ever needing a BOV.
What I said is "It is an interesting fantasy that might make a cool movie but find the end of the world scenario very unlikely. My prepping is mostly for disaster evacuation as far as a BOV is concerned."

Just because I don't believe in a doomsday scenario doesn't mean I don't believe in having an evacuation plan.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Will you park your van "down by the river?"

Just kidding.

Good looking camper van. :thumb:
Got any pictures of the interior?

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I use the term BOEV very lightly but this might be 1 of several options I have depending on the event. This is what I'm working on these days. It is a 1986 E150 High cube with a 302 bolted to an AOD. I picked it up for short money so I am dumping a few shekels into it. It only has to pass a safety inspection so there is a lot of room to play

Is that a rotating tourette on the top?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts