Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
what is that a standard briggs and straton mower engine coupled to a gm rectifided diode alternator via a tensioner pulley A.K.A. mini-genny

nicely done there so whats the output got any specs for her yet what were all the parts and what was the total end price please do share

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
It is a home made, 12 volt generator.

Personally, i would not mount the gass tank directly too the top of the head like that. I'd build a small frame, ands et it above and behind it so you are not heating the gas up. Also, by putting it on top of the cooling fins like that, you are choking off the air flow and over heating the engine. It will self destruct like a car engine with no coolant with that set up.

Even if the gass does not get hot enough to explode, you will make half of it evaporate through the vent in the cap and be wasted.

It is a GREAT idea though. You just need to refine your design a bit!!

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
true on the tank there royal dragon.
you know i bet theres a enough power in that motor to run more than just 1 alternator i.e. two or more 12dc power sources or ac if you take out the rectifing diodes or use an inverter takin out the diodes would be easier and cheaper as in free do it your self style

·
Registered
233 Posts
What does it have enough power to run? I have access to all kinds of engines and parts. What would be the purpose of this if you already have a generator? I am interested in this as I like to build crafty things.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
It will recharge several 12 volt car batteries,or deep cycle marine batteries. They would power a small 700W (1800W peek) inverter.

I like the idea, but if it was me, i'd try to make some sort of solar, or maybe a wind mill with the alternator. Gass only lasts so long. It should not be relied apon.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
you could distill alcohol via a still and run it but you waste a lot of fuel doing it that way.
i plan do ditill alcohol for a runnabout vehicle but other than that everything else is going to be ala natural i.e. solar wind and hydro like the above poster stated gas is gonna be in short supply.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
It is a home made, 12 volt generator.

Personally, i would not mount the gass tank directly too the top of the head like that. I'd build a small frame, ands et it above and behind it so you are not heating the gas up. Also, by putting it on top of the cooling fins like that, you are choking off the air flow and over heating the engine. It will self destruct like a car engine with no coolant with that set up.

Even if the gass does not get hot enough to explode, you will make half of it evaporate through the vent in the cap and be wasted.

It is a GREAT idea though. You just need to refine your design a bit!!

Yeah, that looks REALLY stupid on the positioning.

You can buy that bracket from a company it can't make it yourself or get
it done locally. To make this setup much more useful, I'd add at least a battery and an inverter. More batteries=quiet run time, less wasted gas (overspinning the alt-you can only charge a bat so fast, so much of the power is just wasted).

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do not understand this, Whats so inovative with a gasoline engine or whatever to make electricity with a dynamo its like really ancient technology... Supid post...what planet are you from actually name

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i disagree this is a good post as some people can't afford to buy a genny but can get an old lawn mower free and then get a free alt. from your local gearhead. its simple to understand and an easy DIY. plus you don't really have to be mechanicly inclinded to build this. yes its old tech but that doesn't make it crap tech sorta like the wheel its old as well as you said ancient tech but still in use isn't it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i disagree this is a good post as some people can't afford to buy a genny but can get an old lawn mower free and then get a free alt. from your local gearhead. its simple to understand and an easy DIY. plus you don't really have to be mechanicly inclinded to build this. yes its old tech but that doesn't make it crap tech sorta like the wheel its old as well as you said ancient tech but still in use isn't it.
Jepp, still in use because of oil companys and world economy/bankers relly on our gasoline usage, free energy that Nicola Tesla provided us was shot down to keep earthlings buying electricity and other forms of energy, thats why this i think its stupid...and just because iam new to this forum does not meen that i can not speak my thaughts. Sorry for using tose harsh words though, will withdraw it!

Hope not in so far future we can get some real and actual technology from "our" greedy rulers!!!

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
yes i wish for the real tech you speak of as well. that i believe is being hiden from us but at the same time i bet that said tech is out of our cost range at the same time.

·
Registered
719 Posts
yes i wish for the real tech you speak of as well. that i believe is being hiden from us but at the same time i bet that said tech is out of our cost range at the same time.
Could be, depends on how long and what you are going to use this fuelpowered generator for.

If you like, you could draw energy from yourself...every cell in a normal human body, are about 7mV. Others that practice like Falun Gong or other types of Qi-Gong can hold a lot more. A bit of topic but anyway

1 - 20 of 27 Posts