9,746 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The Amish salvage stores I shop at have traditionally been cash only businesses that is until a couple of weeks ago when one instaledl a CC terminal. I'm not sure how the thing runs without being on the grid but evidently they saw a chance for profit because the Amish are profit driven Merchants.

·
One day at a time ...
1,854 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
there is no need for the government to mandate it. When enough businesses dont take cash, then we will be defacto cashless.

http://kxan.com/2016/04/01/austin-restaurant-chilantro-going-cashless-in-april/
I agree completely, it's already happening, and not with a bang, or even much of a whimper (see what I did there ? :D:)
The new-age millenials are happy to live by their little plastic card.
I've seen more people than I can recall fly into the country from the other side of the planet, with ZERO cash in their pockets !! ( I mean, WTF, people ??:eek:)
More and more buisnesses insist on paying employees by direct deposit, with no resistance. Utilities and companies are no longer accepting cash,take it or leave it.
Gold was effectively removed as real money, and now cash is dying a slow death by a thousand tiny cuts, and the majority haven't noticed, and/or simply don't care.
It's all finally coming to fruition, yet we still hear head-in-the-sand nitwits yammering about completely sidestepping this reality, via their imagined Mad-Max black markets.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
How many businesses that used to send you a monthly bill, so you could pay by check, now require credit card or direct access to your bank account? I have four now. My health insurance (Medicare Part B) is the latest. I dropped off evilBay a couple of years ago because Paypal insisted on direct access, but them I can do without. Can't do without health insurance.

John Brunner - "Shockwave Rider". circa 1967. I think the man had a crystal ball.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Well, the cashless society won't gain any traction if enough people refuse those establishments. And some kinds of cashless transactions aren't that bad -- trade/barter. But so long as enough people want to conduct business with cash or trade, then that part of the economy will keep going on.

I don't have much faith in the vote, but I do in the boycott. The animal rights people put huge pressure on industry not to test cosmetics, etc. on animals, and the anti-GMO consumers are probably going to get us better labeling also. So long as enough consumers vote with their wallets, we'll be in better shape.

·
Registered
219 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEERrqjAlU

it's an idea, like when Holder said we need to brainwash people about how they think about guns...so it's starting in video games basically saying a pandemic started by a mad scientist infected the cash supply with small pox..good way to turn kids off from using cash, and skipping to plastic.

the idea in my opinion is once they remove cash, they can turn off your plastic any time using a computer and remove you from society if your an undesirable.

-I usually won't go to places that won't take cash...and most of the local restaurants in my area are cash only, same with my barber.

I wish more places would barter, because that is the real underground economy.

·
Healthy Skeptic
254 Posts
If I go to a store and take a loaf of bread, technically doesn't that make me a debtor to the store who is now a creditor and thus shouldn't they be required to accept FRNs to satisfy this debt?
No, if you take a loaf of bread without the consent of the seller, you have stolen it.

If they do not want to engage in a transaction with you because they don't want to accept cash, and you don't want to use plastic, then they have simply refused to enter into a sales contract with you.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Well, the cashless society won't gain any traction if enough people refuse those establishments. And some kinds of cashless transactions aren't that bad -- trade/barter. But so long as enough people want to conduct business with cash or trade, then that part of the economy will keep going on.
Terrific, another "IF" argument:rolleyes:. (as a childhood buddy used to say, "if 'IF' was a skiff, I'd go fishing"). So,what part of "already happening" is so difficult to get a handle on ? The vast majority of people are already on-board with this. The same majority has no interest in boycotting their favorite companies, much less the utilities, when they largely perceive this as a convenience, and GOOD thing. They also have no interest in participating in a flea-market/ barter system.
Again, this isn't futuristic science fiction, this is ALREADY TAKING PLACE, and enveloping us further as we speak. And it is going to continue to. Time, and money, and eventually the law, are all on their side.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The reason

there is no need for the government to mandate it. When enough businesses dont take cash, then we will be defacto cashless.

http://kxan.com/2016/04/01/austin-restaurant-chilantro-going-cashless-in-april/
I'm glad that you've pointed out that society is moving toward greater use of electronic transactions of its own will and without the government dictating it like some people think they are. Of course, some people don't like this because they like cash, but there are some good reasons why people aren't using as much cash now as they used to.

1. Cash or checks were your only realistic options for payments until around 30-40 years ago, and credit cards have not been in vogue for more than about 25 years.
2. Cash is physical, which means that your physical presence is usually necessary in order to complete the transaction. This can be inconvenient or downright impossible in many instances, particularly with the advent of online retailing. When I was a kid, my mother would go to town monthly to physically pay many bills (i.e. water, electricity, insurance, etc.), and it took her the better part of a day. Also, sizable quantities cash can be fairly bulky to carry around on your person.
3. Cash can be lost or stolen, but if a credit card is used by someone else fraudulently, cardholders are by law not responsible for more than $50 of such purchases, and most banks don't even levy that.
4. Electronic records are far easier to maintain than paper ones. Ask an accountant.
5. Electronic transactions are far easier to trace than cash transactions. Businesses have been having problems with employees stealing their cash for a long, long time. That's why prices for small items started ending in 99 cent increments; employees had to make change and were less likely to stick bills in their pocket.

But cash has some distinct advantages.

1. When the lights go out, cash is still there. Many businesses, though certainly not all, will still take your cash even if they have no electricity.
2. Cash offers much more anonymity than electronic transactions. It cannot be easily traced from person to person, which is why virtually all illegal transactions use it.
3. To be seized, cash must be physically removed from someone's possession. It cannot be frozen like a bank account or a credit card.

Despite its disadvantages, cash is still 'king' when it comes to small transactions (<$25). And here's an interesting point: "Consumers of all age groups list cash as their preferred payment instrument, yet 18 – 24 year olds actually prefer cash at a higher percentage (40 percent) than any age group."
http://thefinancialbrand.com/39408/consumer-cash-usage-banking-payment-research/

And considering that there are still $3.8 trillion in FRN out there, cash isn't going away any time soon.

·
Registered
383 Posts
A cashless society would be just great. You put all your money in the account and the government takes out what they "deserve" and you get what it left..........that is if there is anything left. So that means no more tax evasion, no more working under the table everyone goes blissfully skipping off into the sunset. Life is good.......

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
A cashless society would be just great. You put all your money in the account and the government takes out what they "deserve" and you get what it left..........that is if there is anything left. So that means no more tax evasion, no more working under the table everyone goes blissfully skipping off into the sunset. Life is good.......

IF you really believe people wouldn't still work around the system....

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.