Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
For some 30 years I was a dedicated rod and reel man. Then I switched over to cast nets. The only time I use a reel now is a little bass or trout fishing. Since I live near the ocean, it is the cast net absolutely.... I own five, different mesh and weight, and I always come home with a lot of fish. I also throw left and right handed so I can toss a lot before getting tired. And it is good exercise. I've got a lot of reels, monster surf to delicate fresh water, but I am a strong convert to cast nets. AND an educator: Florida law allows one to catch with a cast net what you can catch with a hook. A lot of game wardens don't know that. So when they go to write the citation I recommend they put down the statute I am violating. Well, they can't find it and the citation gets torn up. (I carry a copy of the law with me.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha i bet he also hates you for it to lol....i dont do much sea fishing (im only 17 lol) but id like to cast net sometime in the future

·
Registered
200 Posts
with a shark refuge area being the closest water around my area, current favorite form is is rod and reel fishing. just got to note area where i land the catch cos it's illegal to keep sharks landed in the shark refuge, usually gummies. but no worries, one just has got to cross the imaginary line that marks the end of the shark refuge.. LOL..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm a rod a reel guy, but that's because it's the way my dad raised me to be one.

I love spear fishing. I'll go out in to the creeks during the spawning season, and I will catch a GIANT amount of fish that I can freeze and eat weeks later.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Trot line if I have access to a boat, limb lines if I don't. Less work, more fish. But I want to learn how to cast net. I think that is an excellent way to go.

·
I AM A SHEEPDOG
209 Posts
i prefer BOWFISHING AND ROD AND REEL FISHING------>rod is mainly for trout-i use fly rods and rarely use regular poles.------------>i only go bowfishing when i bring my boat and when im getting bored

1 - 8 of 8 Posts