Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ready for anything
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just spent the last two days trying to stock up on Lamp oil and Kerosene, here's what I found.

I live in a Tennessee County of about 50,000 people one major town and 4 smaller towns. My food and water preps have been moving right along so I started thinking about buying lamp oil for my 5 lamps that I already owned, went to every store in the county Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, 3 different hardware stores and The CO-OP... No one has lamp oil, so I ordered it online.

Then I bought four 55 gal plastic drums to store Kerosene in for the brand new heater I bought at TSC.

5 gas stations have K-1 pumps I emptied all 5 tanks at these stations this weekend to fill one of my barrels. ($200.00 worth) they all say they will get more next week but geez! I have a Natural Gas fireplace, but was thinking if the new Madrid pops the gas lines will be cut.

I bought a wood stove and set it up in my basement and have 5 cords of wood, but was thinking that i would not want to burn wood in the first winter of SHTF due to the smoke signature and all.

Not being able to fill my barrels with cash in hand, made me realize if it's hard for me to get now it will be impossible to get these items during an event, so I plan on doubling my stores of K-1 and lamp oil. Anybody else run into this?

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
I buy lamp oil in gallon jugs at wally world. There was a time back in the spring where they didnt have any, or lanterns for that matter, for weeks on end. Then they got some back in stock with a little tag on the shelf saying "It`s Back!". Its always been in stock since. Supplier problems? Seasonal thing? Dunno.

Only one or two stations near me carry K1.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,660 Posts
Imagine, given how well you've prepared and what further goals you have, just how little everybody else has stocked up.

I'd say you're in great shape, and all you need to do is fill the rest of the kerosene barrels.

And you've identified one reason I'm trying to lay in a supply of propane--I doubt the natural gas grid will survive a breakdown of one form or another, and an earthquake is just as likely as all the others.

BTW, about a smoke signature. I'm thinking out loud here, but a rocket stove is supposed to have virtually no smoke signature. Makes me wonder if there's a way to do something like that to heat a house. It's occurred to me to use something like that outside, using it to heat something like a small anvil, or sad irons, or some such, and then bring the very hot iron inside to shed its heat.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Our Walmart is almost always out of lamp oil. We must have other preppers in town because as soon as Walmart gets some on the shelf it gets cleared. We only use walmart lamp oil to help start a fire in our wood stove otherwise it stinks so bad to burn in the lamp. We use the ultra pure oil for that.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I bought a wood stove and set it up in my basement and have 5 cords of wood, but was thinking that i would not want to burn wood in the first winter of SHTF due to the smoke signature and all.
Just something for you to ponder.
If you fire up your stove before daylight, and keep it dampered right, there should be very little smoke for anyone to see, provided your wood is well seasoned.
On initial firing of my stoves there is smoke, however after they get going you cannot even tell they are burning unless you are close enough to see the heat disturbance comming from the stack. After that only the occasional puff of embers when I restoke.

Just my observations.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Gas stations dont sell alot of kerosene in the summer. What you bought was likely the scummy crap from the bottom of the tank thats been sitting since spring. Run it through a filter before putting it in your equipment. I wait to buy mine till well after its cold enough for people to start using it. Its not in short supply, justnot quite in season yet.

For future refrence, if you are buying more then 100 gallons at a time, have someone deliver #1 heating oil or #1 fuel oil, same stuff. Theyl pull a tank truck right up your driveway and pump it into your barrels. Theres a delivery fee, but its cheaper per gallon. You get to make calls and figure out what method is cheaper overall and how much the hastle is worth of unloading a full 55 gallon drum out of your truck.

If your buying it for long term storage, buy an aditive to prevent bacterial growth and itl last a long time.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,261 Posts
Try getting kerosene here. There are no gas stations anywhere here that carry it. And even the local petroleum distributor charges about 3-4 times as much for it as gas costs! I might as well buy it at Lowe's!

·
Martian Invader from Mars
484 Posts
I'm looking into getting a oil lamp in not too long. What kind of oil should I keep an eye out for, where can I get some, and how long is it shelf stable (how long will it keep and still burn)?

·
10,548 Posts
I just Bought 125 Gallons of Kerosene on Friday for $485.00. This was at the Price of $3.88 Per Gallon. I just called the Oil Company and asked that they deliver it to my Tank. It was not a Problem. Granted, I live up North, where we just are stocked up on these things as a normal, "Matter of Fact" type thing.

Call Conti Oil, out of Websterville, VT. 05678. They have plenty at this Price. (802) 476-5252

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
A good hot fire will not put a lot if practically any smoke. Now since its nearly impossible to totally dry wood completely each time you restock the stove you will get some smoke, but at soon as the wood is chared you should have barely any smoke at all. its the moisture int he wood that creates the smoke.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I don't use a lot of kerosene but usually keep 10 to 15 gallons for my oil lamps, I figure that should last quite some time if used sparingly. We have a station about 15 miles from my house that sells it. Last time I bought it was last spring and paid about $3.50 for it.

·
10,548 Posts
A good hot fire will not put a lot if practically any smoke. Now since its nearly impossible to totally dry wood completely each time you restock the stove you will get some smoke, but at soon as the wood is chared you should have barely any smoke at all. its the moisture int he wood that creates the smoke.
Even Kiln-Dried Lumber still has 10-15% Moisture Content.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Down South here I'v found it in Wally-world and publix. Lowes and other hardwear stores sell fuel for Tiki Torches. When I ask no one has a clue if you can use it in a oil lamp. My guess yes but it'll smell and maybe smoke. Any one here have any info on kerosene -Tiki torch fuel?

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Just spent the last two days trying to stock up on Lamp oil and Kerosene, here's what I found. I live in a Tennessee County of about 50,000 people one major town and 4 smaller towns. My food and water preps have been moving right along so I started thinking about buying lamp oil for my 5 lamps that I already owned, went to every store in the county Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, 3 different hardware stores and The CO-OP... No one has lamp oil, so I ordered it online. Then I bought four 55 gal plastic drums to store Kerosene in for the brand new heater I bought at TSC. 5 gas stations have K-1 pumps I emptied all 5 tanks at these stations this weekend to fill one of my barrels. ($200.00 worth) they all say they will get more next week but geez! I have a Natural Gas fireplace, but was thinking if the new Madrid pops the gas lines will be cut. I bought a wood stove and set it up in my basement and have 5 cords of wood, but was thinking that i would not want to burn wood in the first winter of SHTF due to the smoke signature and all. Not being able to fill my barrels with cash in hand, made me realize if it's hard for me to get now it will be impossible to get these items during an event, so I plan on doubling my stores of K-1 and lamp oil. Anybody else run into this?

I'd say what you're experiencing is what even well prepared preppers will experience, and non-preppers more acutely. We simply rely on a regional, national, and global supply chain so much for our modern way of life. Honestly, for things like what you mention, there's really nothing to be done other than to stock it even deeper, or convert everything to run on something you can most readily obtain.

·
Anyone?
3,590 Posts
Just spent the last two days trying to stock up on Lamp oil and Kerosene, here's what I found. I live in a Tennessee County of about 50,000 people one major town and 4 smaller towns. My food and water preps have been moving right along so I started thinking about buying lamp oil for my 5 lamps that I already owned, went to every store in the county Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, 3 different hardware stores and The CO-OP... No one has lamp oil, so I ordered it online. Then I bought four 55 gal plastic drums to store Kerosene in for the brand new heater I bought at TSC. 5 gas stations have K-1 pumps I emptied all 5 tanks at these stations this weekend to fill one of my barrels. ($200.00 worth) they all say they will get more next week but geez! I have a Natural Gas fireplace, but was thinking if the new Madrid pops the gas lines will be cut. I bought a wood stove and set it up in my basement and have 5 cords of wood, but was thinking that i would not want to burn wood in the first winter of SHTF due to the smoke signature and all. Not being able to fill my barrels with cash in hand, made me realize if it's hard for me to get now it will be impossible to get these items during an event, so I plan on doubling my stores of K-1 and lamp oil. Anybody else run into this?
I haven't run into this in NC.
They probably just didn't get their winter fill yet. Most pump K1 is supplied by the local heating oil company which won't bother with refills in hot weather.
This is not a sign of some shortage. Just coincidence IMO.

Couple of suggestions:
1. Your lamps will run on kerosene. Much cheaper than lamp oil and if you trim your wicks, they won't smoke or smell.

2. Ditch the 55 gal. plastic drums. Buy steel. Look on craigslist, someone is always selling.
Fuel expands and contracts with temperature. I had a plastic barrel develop a crack and leak out all of my kerosene. In the very least, you should vent the barrels. Only fill them with 50 gal. to leave room for expansion and leave the bungs threaded loosely so they can breath.
That's okay to do with kero or diesel, not gas.
Don't forget to add in a preservative.

:thumb: thumbs up for thinking ahead. Looks like you have your bases covered.

·
Anyone?
3,590 Posts
Gas stations dont sell alot of kerosene in the summer. What you bought was likely the scummy crap from the bottom of the tank thats been sitting since spring. Run it through a filter before putting it in your equipment. I wait to buy mine till well after its cold enough for people to start using it. Its not in short supply, justnot quite in season yet.
Agree.

For future refrence, if you are buying more then 100 gallons at a time, have someone deliver #1 heating oil or #1 fuel oil, same stuff. Theyl pull a tank truck right up your driveway and pump it into your barrels. Theres a delivery fee, but its cheaper per gallon. You get to make calls and figure out what method is cheaper overall and how much the hastle is worth of unloading a full 55 gallon drum out of your truck.

If your buying it for long term storage, buy an aditive to prevent bacterial growth and itl last a long time.
I've read various things about that. Some say it is the same, some say no. IMO, not worth the risk since kerosene heaters run unvented.
Don't want to wake up dead.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I buy lamp oil in gallon jugs at wally world. There was a time back in the spring where they didnt have any, or lanterns for that matter, for weeks on end. Then they got some back in stock with a little tag on the shelf saying "It`s Back!". Its always been in stock since. Supplier problems? Seasonal thing? Dunno.

Only one or two stations near me carry K1.

In an effort to reverse recent U.S. sales declines, Wal-Mart is bringing back thousands of items to its stores this year,
The rest of the article here.
You may have noticed some other missing items returning. They brought back my beloved Bomb Pops. :D:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts