Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow that is great, I'm envious
It's a TON of hard work but well worth it. This winter we will sit back and just make soap. Fresh goat cheese and some canned pesto over fresh pasta or pickled green beans with home cured bacon.

Don't have any money but we eat well al winter .)

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Have you tried fermenting green beans or have you used vinegar? I tried my first batch of pickled beans using kefir starter, and they turned out fairly good. It's not a long term storage thing, but very healthy with good probiotics! That's a really nice harvest you've got there for one evening. I should have recorded what I've been harvesting. Now I don't have any idea of how much my garden produced!

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
You should be very proud. Beautiful stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome, thank you, that motivates me to get in gear with the garden already..:thumb:

wonder if i can own chickens in los angeles county..hmm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried fermenting green beans or have you used vinegar? I tried my first batch of pickled beans using kefir starter, and they turned out fairly good. It's not a long term storage thing, but very healthy with good probiotics! That's a really nice harvest you've got there for one evening. I should have recorded what I've been harvesting. Now I don't have any idea of how much my garden produced!

I use vinegar and dill weed. Mine are for storage. Dont know how healthy they are, I would assume very minus the probiotics. All organic heirlooms.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
May I respectfully suggest that you should be picking those vegetables EARLY in the day......not in the evening. I know it sounds weird, but the taste and flavor will be much better, if veggies are gathered early in the morning.

Just something that I learned as a result of a lot of years of gardening.

·
Registered
517 Posts
May I respectfully suggest that you should be picking those vegetables EARLY in the day......not in the evening. I know it sounds weird, but the taste and flavor will be much better, if veggies are gathered early in the morning.

That is true, unless your veggies are prone to blight or fungus. Then, you could be spreading disease among your plants if they are still damp.

(Fighting blight around here.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Agree and disagree. Some things do get picked in the morning and some in the evening. The produce I take to market gets pick the night before and the morning of. In my experience fruits and soft skin veggies better to pick at dusk. Hard skin veg IE beans and winter squash at dawn. It's just the way my family has done it for more than 80 years. I have won several competitions with my heirloom tomatoes that were picked the night before. Just last year won largest with a mortgage lifter and best tasting with a black from Tula. We will see this Sunday I should have one more to enter this year at the market, a German strawberry!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts