Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With many threads as of late I have thought about expanding my training, or in this case lack of; as well as, my FAK itself. I have no real need except to be prepared in case of emergency, so I hope that is good enough. Let me go ahead and list what I have got so far, and then I will ask a few questions of those that have experience and knowledge to share.

1x Immediate Action card with the ABC's of Emergency Response. Also for just in case I forget my CPR for some reason has the 7 steps on the back.

1x trauma sheers
1x 4 fl oz of burngel
10x q-tips
1x 4fl oz of alchohol
1x 4fl oz of peroxide
1x 1oz triple antibiotic ointment
2x ammonia inhalant (for potentially waking someone up after a KO)
1x roll of compression wrap
1x ace bandage
1x glucose tablets (10)
10x latex free gloves (wife has latex allergy)
10x one shot eye drops
1x chapstick
1x forehead lcd thermometer
50x safety pins
3x sam finger splints
1x 4" x 36" sam splint
10x 3"x4" telfa non stick bandages
1x rolls of keralix (2x in Big BOB)
1x Israeli bandage (2x in Big Bob)
2x .11 oz super glue
1x safety/box cutter
1x 5oz of hand sanitizer 99% alcho
1x snake bite kit (for bugs too apparently)
1x emergency blanket

1x Adventure Medical ultralight .7
includes 3 safety pins, 2 After Bite® sting and itch relief wipes, 2 antihistamine (diphenhydramine 25 mg) tablets (1 per pkg.), 4 Iprin (ibuprofen 200 mg, 2 per pkg.) packets, 3 antibiotic ointment packets, 5 After Cuts and Scrapes® anesthetic, antiseptic wipes, 4 1 x 3 in. adhesive fabric bandages, 3 adhesive fabric knuckle bandages, 3 butterfly closure bandages, 2 3 x 3 in. sterile gauze dressing (2 per pkg.), 2 2 x 2 in. sterile gauze dressing (2 per pkg.), 1 3 in. non-sterile conforming gauze bandage, 1 2 in. wide elastic bandage with Velcro® closure, 2 3 x 4 in. sterile non-adherent dressing, 1 4 x 7 in. moleskin sheet, 1 1 in. x 10 yards cloth tape, Splinter picker or tick remover forceps, Tincture of Benzoin topical skin adhesive vial, 1 pair nitrile gloves, 1 2 x 100 in. duct tape roll

I added some allergy meds and Imodium as well as these are common issues that suck as bad as being hurt if your doing anything. Also I have included in an extra pill box labeled of course Tylenol, 2 different type of acid reducers and aspirin. (don't give aspirin to a diabetic unless instructed to as it can cause a drop in blood sugar just like alcohol)

This is what I carry every day in my EDC bag any time I leave the house I have this with me.

I was a first aid certified swimmer, and until last year had my cpr card I moved and never updated after expiration. I am looking into some basic emt classes since I have the spare time and could benefit me in an emergency or a career change. That being said...

Does anyone think I am missing any critical training and or items for this pack. If as far as SHTF in an epic way this bag attaches to my Blackwater BOB and goes with me no matter what, if it gets real bad I can ditch the BOB and the EDC will keep me alive.

I think I want to get a couple of chest seal items as tripping and falling on a sharp branch or some such seems real and easy to occur, as far as the trauma bleed stop stuffs I am more interested in buying something as celox rather than the burn causing alternative. Albeit I am not trained in either my first rule is cause no harm and that said I feel weary about either celox or the alternative without someone training me as when you use this it ought to be use it or die.

Also does anyone with experience think the Israeli bandages are good enough or should I pickup one of the C.A.T. systems that the armed forces are carrying as well just in case.

I know I need to pickup a CPR mask outside that I think I am covered until I pickup more training as IV kits and air tubes are not something I would want someone putting in me without training and practice.

I have heard of some folks even carrying shots of epi and atropine I am wondering if their is any real need for stuff like this in this type of kit.

Answers and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Good start.
The best thing to have in your FAK is found between your ears. You cannot have enough training/ experience.

Here is my recommendations for the best/ most practical training.

Become a CPR/ First Aid instructor for the AM Red Cross. They have great and easily obtainable instructor training programs. The best way to become proficient at any task is to teach it.

Take a wilderness first aid/ wilderness first responder/ or wilderness emt course. These courses will teach you how to treat patients for extended periods of time using minimal equipment and improvising with what you have.

Get EMT-B certified. The easiest way is through www.trainingdivision.com You can do 90% of the training online and go to the academy for one week of hands on training and testing.

Volunteer with a local volunteer fire dept or SAR team. These groups provide training and hands on exsperience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts